Dual Boot Mavericks and Windows 8.1 on separate hdd and ssd

Question

Hello!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. 

I'd like to install mavericks onto a separate hdd on my windows 8.1 pc with the option to select either windows or mavericks on start up.

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0)

Processor: AMD FX 8320

GPU: EVGA nvidia GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 (Superclocked)

PSU: Cooler Master i600

RAM: 8GB gskill ripjaw

Optical Drive: LG BD-ROM/ DVD RewriterSuper Multi Blue CH12

I've been reading through the forums all afternoon and once the distro is finished downloading I'm going to give it a go. I just wanted to post this as well in case anybody had an advice before I get started based on my specs. 

One specific question I have is if I can keep my current win8.1 install and still do the dual boot or will I have to do a fresh install in order to have the choice of os at start up?

Update: I tried the installation and got several different errors based on which boot loader I was using. Unfortunately I couldn't get Mavericks installed.  -_-

Clover:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chameleon:

Posted Image

Thanks for reading!

Edited by tjtaege9009

3 answers to this question

So, I got 10.9 (mavericks) to install by replacing the kernel in the distro. The problem now is that the computer restarts to bios every time I try to boot the OS X drive.

I got a gray screen at the end of this installation screen: 

Posted Image

and now I can't get it to boot. If I use the boot flags -v -x it sends a list of  kexts down before it restarts, but still fails. 

I still have to use the flag GraphicsEnabler=No when I boot. Any ideas on a fix for this?