Mavericks install tutorial request/some questions

Question

Hi all,

I'm kind of a n00b on physical hackintoshing, but have done some OS X installs on VMware machines in the past (current one is Mavericks 10.9.1 with the souldevteam premade .vmx image).

First I would like to know if my pre-made (not home built) PC is compatible with the Niresh 10.9 distro and if there will be any problems ,and (if any) how to fix them.

Computer specs:

Current OS: Windows 8.1

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz (3.9GHz with overclock) 8MB cache

HDD: 2TB (7200rpm)

RAM: 16GB DDR3

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Graphics card memory: 1.5GB GDDR5

Motherboard: Intel Z87

Secondly I would like to know how to dual-boot the Niresh installation and the Windows 8.1 that came with the PC (preferably NOT deleting the Windows OS as it would take forever to remake it the way I want it). I have read up some info about bootloaders (Chameleon etc.).

All I want is an explanation of HOW to install Niresh distro on my PC and dual-boot the OSes. Link to an already made tutorial is ok. If the computer is incompatible, then I won't risk it unless there is some sort of a fix for a problem that I may encounter.

I would be very thankful to someone who explains all this.

Thank you for any help in advance!

iiSeptum

2 answers to this question

I'm 100% sure that your PC is compatible with Niresh 10.9, there isn't too much to explain about the dual-boot. First crate a partition directly from Windows using the integrated disks and partitions manager (in this way you will get 2 partitions, one with Windows but obviusly with less space and another empty partition). Then you can start installing OS X, just be sure to boot in AHCI instead of IDE. With the disk utility in the installation program you will format the empty partition in Mac OS Journaled and then you are ready to go and you can install OS X on this partition. Be sure to select Chameleon during the personalize phase before the installation and then just let it install. If the installation will go for the right way at the end of it the PC will reboot and you will see a screen with a red loading line, just press any key and BANG! you can select OS X or Windows. The only thing is that you won't be able to boot Windows in AHCI mode if it was installed in IDE. For getting rid of this problem you need to start the PC in IDE and to change some setting in Windows registry, in this way you will be able to boot Windows and OS X both in AHCI mode. Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesstorahci and you should find an entry with a value of 3, change it as 0, save changes and reboot. Then enable AHCI mode and you should be able to boot both OS X and Windows in AHCI. I hope that I helped you  :)

1 person likes this

I'm 100% sure that your PC is compatible with Niresh 10.9, there isn't too much to explain about the dual-boot. First crate a partition directly from Windows using the integrated disks and partitions manager (in this way you will get 2 partitions, one with Windows but obviusly with less space and another empty partition). Then you can start installing OS X, just be sure to boot in AHCI instead of IDE. With the disk utility in the installation program you will format the empty partition in Mac OS Journaled and then you are ready to go and you can install OS X on this partition. Be sure to select Chameleon during the personalize phase before the installation and then just let it install. If the installation will go for the right way at the end of it the PC will reboot and you will see a screen with a red loading line, just press any key and BANG! you can select OS X or Windows. The only thing is that you won't be able to boot Windows in AHCI mode if it was installed in IDE. For getting rid of this problem you need to start the PC in IDE and to change some setting in Windows registry, in this way you will be able to boot Windows and OS X both in AHCI mode. Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesstorahci and you should find an entry with a value of 3, change it as 0, save changes and reboot. Then enable AHCI mode and you should be able to boot both OS X and Windows in AHCI. I hope that I helped you  :)

Thank you for such a quick and detailed reply. Will report success or not when I come around to it. Im sure I will succeed. Thank you very much! :)