ATI 5650m QE/CI Issues
1 1

Question

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB36FA with an ATI 5650m which doesn't run at it's native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Here are the steps i tried to make it work :

1) Forced EDID

2) Tried Various AtiConfig personalities (Using AtiConfig=Galoga gave me full QE/CI on an external HDMI Display, all others gave me a black screen)

3) Used LoadVBios=Yes 

4) Tried using Clover to do all the same as above 

It's actually very weird because i got full QE/CI once on the laptop display  using LoadVBios=Yes but then on a reboot the text became very fuzzy and illegible, after that either the display was blank or blurred at full res. 

I have attached screenshots of when i got full QE/CI and when i booted with Galoga. 

Any help would be appreciated :)

post-17664-0-89775100-1392096447_thumb.p

post-17664-0-10236100-1392096449_thumb.p

post-17664-0-50005300-1392096450_thumb.p

post-17664-0-52619900-1392096451_thumb.p

12 answers to this question

@ Deepak Hey !, i finally got the LVDS working with the Ati mobility 5650 using clover's graphics injection. I posted a guide here if anyone has any similar problems :D

Thanks for your help ! :D

try to use clover inject your custom edid their 

I have to write my EDID into the DisplayID-717 file and enable Force EDID option in clover right ?

Ok @Deepak Tried as you said with Clover :

Results:

1) On booting with injectati, force edid and vloadbios the display fires up at full res but extremely malformed text ( i noted that there were 2 black lines on the left of the display, if they could be offset to the correct place then, the display would work fine).

2) On booting with injectati and vloadbios, i got a screen with stripes and nothing was visible

3) On booting with vloadbios only, the computer would just not log in, just display a spinning wheel and crash.

4) I couldn't get the computer to start so i used safe mode and graphicsenabler=no  and in verbose (it still didn't start) but i got some interesting screenshots

Screenshot 1 : The display in full res and very clear flashes for a second and then disappears.

Screenshot 2 : The verbose output after the flash

post-17664-0-62840300-1392116696_thumb.j

@Deepak

Tried your kexts with Chameleon and with LoadVBios ON/OFF and with EDID inserted in DisplayID-717 but to no avail :(

EDID injection gives a consistent full QE/CI but is very very blurry and malformed. 

The most interesting thing is that with every boot, the screen gets more blurred and the no. of black lines on the extreme left (barely visible and thin line) screen increase in the number corresponding with the number of boots ?! (i think this line increase the offset which is why it's blurred but i have no idea have no idea why it's doing so..) 

Help Anyone ? Will downgrading to OSX Mountain Lion help ? I hear a lot of people got their 5650m s working perfectly on notebooks.

for using patched kexts Mountain lion is Much better than Mavericks which i felt ,,,

@ Deepak Is there any way to boot the Mountain Lion 10.8.5 ISO file from a USB ? My DVD drive doesn't work :(

@Deepak Thanks, though ML is not stable at all in my laptop, Mavericks was far better .. besides tried all the graphics kexts, edid etc... couldn't get it to work.. so i guess it's trial and error or possibly waiting .

Anyway thanks for your help man :D