SUCCESS! + Haswell power management under 10.8.5
1 1

Question

Hi Niresh!

Good news! I've got 10.8.5 to install on my System76 Haswell laptop! I'm very impressed with 10.8.5 - its the best Hackintosh distro I've tried, and the only one to work with my machine so far. I shall write a short guide on how to install it on a laptop like mine soon.

All my hardware, except for my wifi chipset (which I knew was unsupported by OSX) works! The big prob now is power management. My laptop's CPU runs at 14 degrees C normally under Linux but it averages about 58 degrees under 10.8.5. I used the xpcm-free kernel to install and I've extracted my DSDT under Linux and compiled it into asl fine then copied that into /Extra/DSDT.aml under OSX but that hasn't fixed the power management (after fixing perms and rebooting).

Is there any chance of me getting power management to work well under 10.8.5? Do I need a patched kernel or to use a different SMBIOS?

Finally, do you know of a good guide to fixing DSDT/asl files, if thats what I need to do?

Great work on the distro, but unfortunately I won't be able to use OSX properly unless I get the power management working - it doesn't feel healthy for my computer or energy bills without it!

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Hi Deepak

Thanks for your suggestion and sorry for the delay in replying - I've been at work the last few days and not had the time to try your idea until today and I wanted to try it before I replied.

I had already come across and bookmarked the ssdtPRGen script but hadn't got round to trying it but now I have and unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made any difference. The guide you linked to said you should run it like

./ssdtPRGen.sh CPUMODEL MAXFREQ TDP

but that produces exactly the same .asl file as produced when I run it without any arguments so it would seem to me that the script auto-detects your CPU and its settings now. I copied the .asl file it created on my desktop to /Extra/SSDT.asl, deleted /S/L/E/NullCPUPM and then booted with the DropSSDT=Yes flag but my CPU temp still averages 50/60 degrees on idle.

I've written my Niresh / Gazelle Pro installation guide on paper so I'll type that up soon but it'd be better to be able to post it with working PM instructions from the start.

I'd like to hear from any other Niresh 10.8.5 users running on Haswell/i7 - have you managed to get your PM working? If so, how?

Thanks!

Hi Deepak

Thanks for your suggestion and sorry for the delay in replying - I've been at work the last few days and not had the time to try your idea until today and I wanted to try it before I replied.

I had already come across and bookmarked the ssdtPRGen script but hadn't got round to trying it but now I have and unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made any difference. The guide you linked to said you should run it like

./ssdtPRGen.sh CPUMODEL MAXFREQ TDP

but that produces exactly the same .asl file as produced when I run it without any arguments so it would seem to me that the script auto-detects your CPU and its settings now. I copied the .asl file it created on my desktop to /Extra/SSDT.asl, deleted /S/L/E/NullCPUPM and then booted with the DropSSDT=Yes flag but my CPU temp still averages 50/60 degrees on idle.

I've written my Niresh / Gazelle Pro installation guide on paper so I'll type that up soon but it'd be better to be able to post it with working PM instructions from the start.

I'd like to hear from any other Niresh 10.8.5 users running on Haswell/i7 - have you managed to get your PM working? If so, how?

Thanks!

alway file dsdt and ssdt are in .aml not .asl may be you typographics error ,,is your system working stable now ???

You can use DPCIManager to test your pstates.