secondary HDD to run alongside install HDD for data

Question

Hi does anyone know how to setup another hard drive to store data and apps so i can keep my osx hdd free of clutter and speed it up, such as when you install an app it installs onto the secondary hard drive or download something from safari it automatically goes to that HDD i know how to do it on windows but not osx :(

Anyone help?

12 answers to this question

Yes you can use a extra harddrive and formated as mac and use it for data and other stuff.

1-You can connect a extra hard drive to the motherboard

And at the diskutility formated as mac partition

And name it DATA or FILES or what ever name you

Prefer .and just use it for data/backups/music/movies/Etc..

2-You can format or resize the Hard drive you have mac installed on

And resize it to the size you want or need for extra files.

Also if you use a torrent downloader or browsers.set them to

Download and put the downloaded files to the extra drive.

Because most all the time they are just goin to download the

Files straight where the Os is Install at.

One easy way also: JUST BUY OR USE A EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE.and you it for Data :)

1 person likes this

yeah i guess thats the only way i know it seems an obvious question haha!! but like what about apps and that as i got my OS on a 40gb hdd and space is rapidly dropping :s

40Gb i Think is Too Little For you to Resize..if You plan to get movies/torrents/Music/etc

I think you need a bigger Hard drive.

1 person likes this

I have bigger HDD's just full of crap and windows bollocks which i might be scrapping as long as i can trust this mac haha

I dont get what is your prob actually? You can't mount your HDD? Or permission is only "read"? If the permission is the problem then use Tuxera ntfs mounter for MAC (its free for 15 days, enough to save/write)then get a temp HDD from friend, save your data on that. Format as your exFat (very good if you mess with many OS)  and copy all your data from borrowed HDD to this exFat HDD ;)

No what it is is i want to use one hard drive as the os drive and a secondary drive for all apps, music, downloads and documents like you can on windows set it so app files install to a secondary harddrive to keep my install drive free and clean from clutter

Hmm I replied anyway for the prob. If its NTFS, mount is as writable using tuxera and backup all impo data you want. Once you did it, format it to HFS+ then use Disk Utility to extend your original OSX HDD.

Or if you just want to save your apps in another HDD, its simple in OSX as they don't install but self package. They don't especially need to be in application folder (except for some which need additional conf files). You can start any app you want from backup HDD.

So like you can extend the partition onto a partition onto another drive? Is that what your saying?

Yes provided :

1. They are HFS+, and

2. Physically they are one same HDD

thats why I said to backup your data and format it to HFS+. Then you can drag your MAC partition to acquire the free space of this newly created HFS+ partition/s.

Oh i meant like another hard drive as my os is on a40gb hdd and running out of space

Then move not needed (right now) apps from application folder to your new HDD, don't worry they will work from other HDD without installation. When you needed those app, just mount HDD and start that app. But doing so you may loss configuration files of a few apps like (but hopefully you won't lost registration in 99% case).

With my experience, don't move MS-Office, Adobe CS, and other heavy programs which require heavy configuration. Rest will go fine.