How to Fix Mavericks not booting after the 10.9.2 Update
13 13

Question

DISCLAIMER : The 10.9.2 update has broken a lot of installations of Niresh's Mavericks distro due to a new version of Darwin. The steps described below are a generic solution as discussed on various parts of the forums. This is just a re-organized and structured version of the fix. This may not necessarily work for all OSX installs. So instead of only using the kexts packaged by Niresh, please backup any custom kernels or even better your entire extensions folder.

Stuff you need :

1) A 1 GB USB (any size actually)
2) The Niresh Mavericks Installer USB
3) An already working mavericks install (optional)

If you are stuck with a non-booting Installation of OSX Mavericks :
1) Head over to Windows and download Transmac.
2) Download the PCI Config Kexts from here.
3) Plug in your 1 GB USB and format it to Mac OSX Extended Journaled by right clicking and selecting "Format Disk for Mac"
4) Make a folder named Extensions in the root directory of the USB in Transmac (+HFS Volumes > Right click on White Space > Make New Folder)
5) Copy the kexts (not the folder, the kexts ! ) you downloaded into the Extensions folder.
6) Rename your 1 GB USB to FIX. (If you can't do this using Transmac, format the USB using the Niresh Installer and rename to
FIX. Then proceed with Transmac steps (without       formatting of course)
You're done for the windows part !

Now boot into the Niresh Mavericks Installer

1) Plug in your 1 GB USB after the Welcome Screen has appeared
2) Go to disk utility and mount your FIX usb (Right Click the USB > Mount)
3) Open Terminal and type the following :

ditto -V /Volumes/FIX/Extensions/*there is a single space here*/Volumes/*THE NAME OF YOUR HARD DRIVE*/System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/*THE NAME OF YOUR HARD DRIVE*/System/Library/Extensions/
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/*THE NAME OF YOUR HARD DRIVE*/System/Library/Extensions/

2) Exit out of Terminal and Reboot
3) Your Hackintosh should finally boot into OSX 10.9.2  :)

If you have a Working Mavericks Installation before hand:

1) Just copy the PCI Fix kexts into a USB Formatted using Disk Utility into Mac OSX Extended Journaled and repeat the same steps from step number 6.

2) Additionally backup the Extensions folder and your Kernels to the USB with a different directory name.

Cheers  :D

Edited by Devonic
addtional steps.
4 people like this

46 answers to this question

I went exactly as it was described but it just laughed at me restarted then taunted me some more. I'm just going to wait for NERESH to update to 9.2. I have more concerns then getting 9.2 installed. Like the Nvidia kext installed. HDMI works flawlessly but my main display never works when I switch to the Nvidia from Apple. I restart with HDMI support and no main Display support. I have a 3D Display so I think I'm just fawked.

Hi everybody and sory if my english is not so good.

I have successfully updated from 10.9.0 to 10.9.2 and fully functional with this configuration:

AMD Phenom II x4 925

Gigabyte ma770t-ud3

8GB 1600 DDR3

Gainward GT240

sata WD 320G with windows 8 installed

sata WD 1T with Mavericks

I backed up only 3 kexts from 10.9.0 : System.kext, AppleMatch.kext, Sandbox.kext from System/Library/Extensions

and put them together with "match_kernel" in one folder on desktop, after that i installed combo update 10.9.2 and rebooted into windows 8. With program "mac drive" from windows i go to mac partition and put this 3 kext that i backed up on desktop in 

System/Library/Extensions with replacing files, and mach_kernel in root of drive alsou with replacing file. I rebooted again but this time from my USB flash with Nireshs Mavericks installation, started disk utility and repaired permissions for mac drive.

Reboot again this time from mac partition and with flags -x -v. When i get to desktop just run kext wizard to repair permissions and after that rebooted normal in 10.9.2 with everything working perfectly

Kernel "AMD 10.9/10.9.1/10.9.2 kernel, with SSE3 and opemu Version R6" was not so good for my spec, i had some glitches so i used this kernel that works perfectly for me:    http://speedy.sh/fyQ3k/mach-kernel

Hope this help somebody

1 person likes this

@FightClub If you have the option to set your 3D-Display form 120 Hz to 60Hz, it might work.

The option doesn't come up with my main display. It being connected to my HDTV though 3D scales down to 60Hz. My laptop display doesn't show up with Nvidia kext active. With Apple display active. It doesn't show any refresh rate at all, just that I set it at a HD resolution. Wish it were that simple.. I may just need to get another display.. thanks Devonic for trying to help me out. not many people would go out there way to. witch in my book makes you awesome! Its a up-hill battle I'll eventually figure out..

Hello grujev. you have a AMD, I have a Intel, I don't think that mach-kernel would work for my system. Thanks anyways bro :)

@Devonic Thanks for this.

Can you please explain what the purpose of this is: http://www.hackintosh.zone/file/94-amd-10910911092-kernel-with-sse3-and-opemu/ ?

Also there is this one which was uploaded more recently, but does not say it supports 10.9.2: http://www.hackintosh.zone/file/148-amd-kernel-for-os-x/

Do you think I should install these kernels before proceeding with the 10.9.1 -> 10.9.2 update? I use AMD FX-8320. Thank you.

edit: OK, I just noticed what grujev posted about the kernels. They said the first one that I linked to was buggy for them. The other one I linked to is newer, but much smaller file size than "mach kernel" that was posted by grujev.

I just found an AMD kernel for "10.9.*" on another site uploaded as recent as March 9th, 2014 --- but explicitly says in the file description not to update to 10.9.2  :o

@iLL It's pretty self explanatory, it's an AMD Kernel (there are many variations floating around). The basic core instruction of the guide is Backup your kexts, backup your custom kernels and restore using the installer terminal. Since many did not know the terminal commands, i just made a guide. 

Yes install and backup the kernels and update.

I don't exactly advocate the update as many users have problem since Darwin is updated, but if you want to take a plunge go for it.

1 person likes this

@iLL

I don't exactly advocate the update as many users have problem since Darwin is updated, but if you want to take a plunge go for it.

Yeah, as much as I would like to run the latest version, I might just wait it out and see how the progress comes with the 10.9.2 compatible kernels. For now, Mavericks 10.9.1 is working pretty stable for me on AMD FX-8320 using Radeon HD 7970 with the kernel that was included with the Niresh Mavericks USB image. Thank you. Much respect to Niresh as well for making this so easy.

@iLL Yeah, OSX 10.9.2, besides the massive SSL fix is not much to get excited for. Do not rest ! Keep experimenting with Vanilla installs of OSX as you'll get a better idea of what patches you apply and where which Niresh's distro makes overwhelmingly transparent and easy. 

I'm stuck on "GeforceSensors: still waiting for accelerator to start"

AMD phenom II x4

Gtx 470

16GB RAM

250GB HDD

10.9 Runs Perfect without iCloud -.- thats the reason why i tried to update.

Any ideas ?

I'm stuck on "GeforceSensors: still waiting for accelerator to start"

Found this info on google:

However, updating to the retina 10.9.1 version caused the laptop to reboot just before getting to the desktop (with a message about GeforceSensors: Waiting for accelerator to start).

Edit: the problem is Geforce related, removing the NVDRESMAN kexts allos me to go to desktop with the IntelHD 4600 (wih full acceleration).

I think if you insert and boot from Niresh installation CD/USB, you'll have the option to use the -x boot flag to disable graphic kexts, which should get you to the point where you can remove the problematic kext... but I don't really know, so maybe it would be better to wait for someone else to help.

Hello my problem is i have to write cpus=1 when start up but the laptop is not as fast as before , 

i have an hp g6 1288sl 

Thanks.

i was wondering how to patch the hp file again ??

Hello I have a problem when I type the command in terminal it says

ditto -V /Volumes/FIX/Extensions/ : file or directory doesn't exist please help

@Devonic I did I tried changing the USB too it still says : ditto-V/ Volumes /FIX/ Extensions: no such file or derictory I did all the steps again but still says the same thing

@ Make sure you go to Disk Utility and mount your USB named FIX (right click FIX > Mount)

123.png

How i change the name if i cant see that option!?

how i open the terminal?

Is the rest ok? (extensions folder and the other folders)

@ You can actually mount it inside the Niresh Installer Setup in Disk Utility and Format it to the name FIX and then proceed with the steps in transmac.

Open Terminal after you have booted into the Niresh Installer. Utilities > Terminal (on the status bar )

Followed The Instructions And It Worked Great, Thanks :)

1 person likes this

Followed the instruction but still stuck in bootloop, no way out :-(

My computer specs

Gigabyte 970A-DP3

FX8320

Ram Cosair 16GB 1600MHz 9-9-9

PSU Cosair CX 500W

2 Seagates 500GB HDD

1 WD 1TB HDD

And now?

ditto -V /Volumes/FIX/Extensions/ /Volumes/Integral Courier Media/System/Library/Extensions/

ditto: can't get real path of source

20140404_224439_1.jpg