IS OS X Capable of running on 3D Displays?
1 1

Question

I have the Alienware R5, and installed the Nvidia kext. HDMI works flawlessly with Cuda support but my monitor go's black. with GraphicsEnabler=Yes my monitor makes a small buzzing sound. I think its because its trying to feed my monitor but cant due to it being 120hz display. Has anyone found a way around this or have any idea's I can try? I don't care if its 60hz I just want to get it to work

12 answers to this question

That small buzzing is coming from VooDooHDA iGain.

Goto VooDooHDA pref (system preference)

And slide iGain=0, iMix=100.

You may need to do it on each reboot.

1 person likes this

As If, I wish. Dell's BIOS is tighter then a fat girl stretching on a thong. My only hope (though small, and no that's not what she said) would be the 10.9.3 update witch as you know has 4k and other monitor support. Other then that I'd say I'm screwed. That's what she said :D 

1 person likes this

AMAN, Thanks for your thoughts, and help. I can assure you my friend, Its NOT coming from my speakers. trust me when I say this. Sound isn't the issue here. Thanks for your very welcomed thoughts though :)

@FightClub 

Yes. It's certainly not from the speakers. It's the low frequency buzz

There is very scanty info about 3D Displays in general with OSX. But one thing i would highly recommend is injecting your Display's Unique Identity Information or EDID into OSX. The Result will be most probably that you will get a 85Hz + Option in your Display Preferences. You can do so using the Clover Bootloader and Clover Configurator

1 person likes this

Sweet, HOMEWORK! OOHRAH! Thanks for replying back Dev. I'm going to look into that today then follow up the results. Hope though small, is still hope. :)

Super Noob [ON] Hey Dev.. By chance would you happen to know of any good guides to inject my monitor? The ones I've found have been a smidge confusing.

@FightClub

I did make a guide to enable qe/ci on an ATI card. But the EDID injection steps will be applicable to you also. Just follow the guide till the EDID injection part and just select Inject Nvidia in Clover Bootloader. To go to the video guide click here

1 person likes this

Thanks for your help Dev. The Injection did nothing at all. The only thing it did was make the monitor 1080p. It actually made it worse because after installing the NVidia installer, that had previously worked only through HDMI-had now went M.I.A. My monitor booted right up with NVidia selected, and not the OS X default selected witch had no acceleration. It was false hope, LIIIIIIE'S!!! you know the false hope that you put into a women only to find out she's nothing but a dirty filthy scallywag whore trampling her ripe melons around you thought was yours false hope. sorry, I'm tired, and its late. anyways, the NVidia drivers (kext) wasn't loaded, even after a reinstall-yielded nothing. Something that did strike me odd was that the Clover "Options" showed the NVidia GeForce 780m, but once booted into OS X the only thing that had loaded was the GeForce icon in the status bar but with only 7mb and not 4GB. I don't know what's going on with my monitor. It would seem my only hope is just to downgrade to a 60hz display. Other then that, I'm out of ideas. Thank you again Dev for your assistance. not just with me but others you'll helped. This world needs more people like you. I appreciate your tying.    Thank you, and Good night :)

@FightClub 

If you have followed all steps and tried playing with Clover's settings and still failed, either i recommed trying to inject your display ID using the DisplayID-717 file or just wait for the 10.9.3 update. If you can send me your EDID, i will patch the necessary files and send it back to you. :)

1 person likes this

SUCCESS!! or is it ^_-. So I was half asleep in Zombie Mode trying different kext and working with MultiBeast, and Slytherin and was able to get to 120Hz with my main display. Thanks to your guidance with injection. However, Its sluggish, the transitions with windows and desktop animations aren't smooth. Is there any fix you know of that I can try? It worked perfectly through HDMI when I had no main monitor support but now that I do, both my main display, and HDTV are sluggish.     P.S. Thanks for the patch offer, I don't think I need it? :)

@FightClub

People's way of thanking us at Niresh is liking others posts ;)

If you are having sluggish performance, it likely means that you are not getting full QE/CI. I still recommend you try the EDID method.

1 person likes this