Hi, my laptop won't boot Mavericks from USB.
2 2

Question

So, as the title says, I can't boot it from USB (tryed 3 different USB and all my usb ports). I wrote Niresh's 10.9 on my usb using WIN32 Disk Imager, however my bios is set up to boot from usb (it works with ubuntu/windows).

I was able to install Mavericks on a VM.

What could I do?

Thanks in advance!

12 answers to this question

@ Also make sure you're using the USB .dmg image burnt to the USB. If you burnt the ISO to the USB, it won't work.

1 person likes this

Download iBoot, burn it to DVD. Boot from it and select Mavericks-USB from menu.

@ That's a known issue with Win32Disk Imager. Use Transmac instead for writing the file this time. 

I will try both and I will update this thread if something changes, thank you for your replies!

@ That's a known issue with Win32Disk Imager. Use Transmac instead for writing the file this time. 

Download iBoot, burn it to DVD. Boot from it and select Mavericks-USB from menu.

Wrote it again using Transmac-nothing changed

Used iBoot(it's on another USB, is it a problem?)- same thing.

@ Nope it's not a problem. You need two USBs - One for the Installer and one for iBoot. Boot with the iBoot USB / CD then (remove the CD if you are using it) insert you Niresh installer USB and press F5, the Installation icon should show up.

Edited by Devonic

@ Nope it's not a problem. You need two USBs - One for the Installer and one for iBoot. Boot with the iBoot USB / CD then (remove the CD if you are using it) insert you Niresh installer USB and press F5, the Installation icon should show up.

Thank you for your reply, now i have to USBs, one with Mavericks and one with iBoot(wrote using transmac) but it doesn't show any menu when i have the iBoot one plugged in, it's not booting from it.

I'm sorry for my bad english.

Although Devonic is right, but plz burn iBoot to DVD, its slow but more reliable.

Plugin your Mavericks USB and put DVD into drive. BOOT USING DVD DRIVE (IN TO iBoot), and it will sure list your USB.

Select it.

I am sure it should work. There is nothing with DVD mode that it will refuse to boot.

Although Devonic is right, but plz burn iBoot to DVD, its slow but more reliable.

Plugin your Mavericks USB and put DVD into drive. BOOT USING DVD DRIVE (IN TO iBoot), and it will sure list your USB.

Select it.

I am sure it should work. There is nothing with DVD mode that it will refuse to boot.

I will try this as soon as I have a DVD. I've also tryed to use Boot Disk Utility to have Clover on my second USB and it boots into that menu but it doesn't show me my Marevicks USB when I plug it in.

If you use 2 usb drives, don't forget to change the order in the BIOS. The first to boot is the one with iBoot. If you DID try that and it doesn't work, the best thing to do (as Aman said) is to write iBoot on a CD/DVD.

It worked for me.

If you use 2 usb drives, don't forget to change the order in the BIOS. The first to boot is the one with iBoot. If you DID try that and it doesn't work, the best thing to do (as Aman said) is to write iBoot on a CD/DVD.

It worked for me.

Ok then, that's what I will try tomorrow, it's 00:09 here.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

1 person likes this

@ Also make sure you're using the USB .dmg image burnt to the USB. If you burnt the ISO to the USB, it won't work.

Oh... Then I have to download the .dmg image. Thank you!