niresh Mountain Lion install on Asus Maximus IV Genez Gen3 - won't boot after successful install
1 1

Question

So, first of all thank you to Niresh for all of his hard work. I ended up here after TonyMacs forum users made me feel terrible.

My build:

Asus Maximus IV Gene Z Gen 3 mobo

i7 2600k

32 GB patriot DDr3 ram

EVGA GTX560ti

Seagate 500 gb 7200 HD

I burned the ML distro to a DVD and made it all the way through installation. I installed kexts etc during the os x installer (including bootlaoder etc). Previously using multibeast I couldn't even get to the OS X installer.

After rebooting and removing the DVD the bootloader didn't kick in, even if I select the drive with OSX installed on it. I can only get os x to load with the DVD inserted. It was freezing on the white background with infinite spinning wheel (I let it sit for an hour). So I used -v to see what was up. It makes it through several screens and freezes at this screen (see attached). I'm not sure what kind of boot flag magic could get it past this I've used -f -x GraphicsEnabler etc.

I did some research about my board, evidently some people flash the BIOS with a patch because of power management issues. Obviously I'm worried about having to do that and wondering if it's entirely necessary.

Please see link for the screen I hit...

Thanks in advance.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2600075/IMG_3213.jpg

3 answers to this question

An update for what it's worth.  I used the Boot Disk utility and ran it with the default args (-v and debug 0x100). It got past the throttling mtu error but stopped at "9-error reporting banks".

Here is the system info list from my machine.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2600075/Borscht.JPG

Might do a full reinstall of Niresh Mavericks and see if that gets me any farther.

Thanks

Success!!

Maybe my previous posts were too noobtastic. Since no one has responded, I'll just post my steps here in case it helps anyone else.

So, I finally managed to path the BIOS with the 3603 version from Bios Repo. I used RUFUS to burn a usb stick and renamed the file with Asus Bios renamer utility and installed it with Bupdater (both available on the support page of my mobo).

I installed the Niresh 10.8.5 Distro to a second HD (my first HD is running Win 7). I  installed Clover from the customize menu in the OSX installer but it doesn't show up. So I have to use a Clover bootloader on a USB stick to get OSX running.

I first had to boot into safe mode using -x and let the Niresh installer finish all of its magic.

Now it boots just fine from the USB stick. Everything seems to work, audio, graohics card even sleep mode. The only thing is the network speed is really slow over ethernet. Going to try to reinstall a couple of kexts and see if that works.

If anyone has any ideas about the ethernet let me know.

Thanks

Ok, so I'm updating this thread really for my own edification. After reporting my success on Tonymacs and not realizing that mentioning distros is taboo I got my account permanently suspended, hilarious.

Anyway, I reinstalled the whole OS using a USB stick of Niresh Mavericks and the whole thing pretty much worked out of the gate? Which is amazing. I have sound, ethernet, graphics card and sleep are all working. I Geekbenched it at around 11900 which is close to my Win 7 geekbench of 12500.

My only hitch is the bootloader still isn't installed. I assume it's because it is installed to my OSX disk. So when I choose that disk as the boot disk it  get this message that says "boot0: GPT boot0: GPT boot0: done". Then it just loads my old windows 7 install. I guess I need to install the bootloader to my windows MBR partition. I'm considering using Slytherin to do so. If anyone has explicit instructions on how to do that please let me know. I'm concerned about breaking my windows boot. 

I might just have to live off of USB flash drive for now.

Thanks