Netbook install
2 2

Question

Hey y'all, I have a netbook running with 1gb of ram and an 1.6ghz single core atom. XP support has ended and running 7 will really push it so it is on Ubuntu at the moment. I know putting it on mavericks (If it will even install) is pushing it so what do you think my options are. I want to hackintosh and I dont care what version providing it is lion or newer (Mavericks being of choice obviously). What do ya think my options are?

10 answers to this question

@InfamousSynergy 

First of all to check if it's 64 bit. If not it cannot support anything from 10.7 and above (there are hacks to bypass this but i won't go through all that)

On the contrary if it does have a 64 bit chip, one has to consider the graphics card. Since most netbooks have Intel Graphics Media Accelerators (GMAs) the last of which was supported was by Lion (10.7.x) 

Lion supported the Intel GMA 950 and similar models. Since then there has been no support for Intel GMAs. 

So it is a big gamble installing OSX on a netbook. If the netbook doesn't have a 64-bit architecture, you may only be able to install Snow Leopard or lower versions.

Well, Its a atom so its only 32 (i386) but lion beta 2 and below work on 32. My macbook 1,1 can officially run upto snow leo as it has a core duo which is 32bit although you can push lion beta 2 onto it

@

A beta install and a 1.6 Ghz processor ? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. The challenge will be getting it installed. The beta .dmg will be hard to find and since the method to install Lion was iBoot + xMove and unibeast currently supports no beta .dmgs it will be tricky except if you're using myhack. if you wanted Osx so badly, IMO I would recommend Snow Leopard :)

Edited by Devonic

Pfft, yea. I am not fussed what OS it runs but the speed I am. 7/8 is not doable on 1GB, XP is to old for me and I HATE linux yet chrome OS is to restricted. I guess I will have to just get used to Ubuntu. I use debian at school full time, I have a pi and since I am geeky, I have done linux projects in the past so how hard can it be

@ The Pi is epic. Shows you what a $35 ARM processor can do. As far as OSX goes, mavericks might be a bit to hard for it to handle. Since you're geeky, experiment with the OSX Lion Beta. As i said before installing the .dmg with myhack will likely be your only option. Windows 8 can run fine even with 1GB of RAM AFAIK. A stable OSX install (if you can acheive it) will probably have to be Snow Leopard IMO.

I hate the Pi. I can see why people like it and it is a feat of engineering, granted but I just have no use for it. Coding/python you can do on any pc/mac and it has no use as a media center or server to me :/  Although 7 and 8 will run with 1gb of ram, its horribly slow and even a simple web browser lags. 2 is the actual minimum for 7 in my opinion, for it to be usable at least any ways...  I might experiment with lion beta but again, Its running a gma 950 and 1gb (Stock netbook config) so even 10.5/6 might push it... I guess ubuntu will do.

If your interested, it's a LG x110

@ I had a similarly specced laptop w/ the GMA 950 (save the Intel Atom Processor) and it handled 10.5.8 just fine. Think Snow Leopard will run fast enough.

Snow leopard is more optimized than leopard and based on the same thing so essentially 10.6 will run better

I do not think so (Not niresh anyway) but there are boot loader cd's like os86 mod cd and hackboot that just run then you select a retial disk, if not, I am sure there might be an iAtkos or iDeneb/iPC build :)