CPU Overheating
2 2

Question

Here is my situation.  I've spent the most part of the last three days playing with OS X 10.8.5.  After a lot of frustration and multiple re-installs, I got it all working, a little laggy on the graphics, but working. Since I got thing figured out I decided to try Mavericks.  I got it to work with my system, except, when I boot after installing, I get half way through the setup and my computer shuts down because the CPU overheats.  I didn't have any problems like this with 10.8.5.  Is there something I can do or setup differently to get this working?

My setup:

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0  Mobo

AMD FX 8320  8-Core Black Edition 3.5GHz  Processor

Radeon HD 7770 Core Edition  Graphics

32Gb DDR3  Ram

2 answers to this question

I think you'll notice that AMD doesn't have speedstep like Intel CPU since Intel is natively supported via power-management kext. For AMD, chipset will always run at full speed, thus, youll need a good cooling system in order for it to work all day at full speed ^_^ my CPU and Graphics card is just like yours and I have no problem running Mavericks for days at all (I have TRUE SPIRIT 120M for my cpu that keeps it under 50 degree celsius!) Keep on trying!

Yeah unfortunately, I only have the cooling system that came with the processor.  Mountain Lion ran fine though.  I was hoping there was a certain setting I could use to get past this.  If not I'll just go back to 10.8.5.