Bootloader not installed + kernal panic
2 2

Question

Hello,

I successfully installed Niresh Mavericks from USB

System specs:

UEFI Motherboard: Asus B85-PLUS

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell)

GPU: (Built in) Intel HD Graphics 4600

HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 120 GB

RAM 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance

When the PC rebooted after install, it loaded the Niresh bootloader, where you choose to install from. I removed my USB and restarted my PC, it instantly booted into my bios. So I re inserted my USB and rebooted. At the Niresh bootloader, I chose the HDD I just installed Mavericks to. I used the bootflag below (I have Haswell):

-v

Mac started to boot, and I recieved a kernal panic.

Here is the first line (the problem) of what I see on screen

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f81581cc9): No HPETs available... CPU(s) configured incorrectly

So I know my CPU is configured incorrectly, and I have to change this in the BIOS, but what exactly am I looking for? And where would I find it?

Also, how would I go about installing my bootloader properly (I just left the settings the same, apart from the SSD setting, I dont have one, so I unticked it, during installation)?

Thanks for your help.

29 answers to this question

Oh man, I had told you to use boot flag xpcm-free if you get reboot or KP.

Follow suggestions too, they work. Believe me ;)

1 person likes this

I already tried using xpcm-free when booting after installation, it says "Loading kernal /xpcm-free" and then "Cant find /xpcm-free". I did use that flag during installation and it worked a treat

Boot using USB using -x -f -F -v.

If it doesnt solve your issue, then there is already a thread for HPET, see that.

It booted using those flags, could you help me install a bootloader or direct me to the right place now? Thanks

Yes, sure. Download Slytherin or Multibeast and install Chameleon or Chimera.

I prefer Chimera over Chameleon as its 5 sec faster and less overhead, In SSD it should be faster.

Report back so mod can mark it solved.

I dont have any internet access for my PC at the moment, so I have been using a network bridge from my laptop, via ethernet to my PC. But mavericks dosent recognise my ethernet cable. So I downloaded chimera on my laptop (Windows 7) and copied it to another usb in transmac, then installed it on my PC, rebooted and it went straight to the bios.

My outstanding problems:

I cant boot without installer USB

I cant use ethernet

I cant install a bootloader

I have to use safemode every time I boot

What would be the steps to fix these issues?

Thanks

Your straight solution :

Download Slytherin/Multibeast into any pc (no matter its your or in cyber cafe or friends).

Put it in a USB Pen drive.

Boot OSX using USB-Installer.

Insert USB having Multibeast/Slytherin.

Run it and install BootLoader.

I downloaded Slytherin, ran it, installed Realtek 8xx, chameleon bootloader, NullCPUPowerManagement and tried to reboot. No bootloader appeared, so I used the installer. I didnt enter any boot flags this time because I was using the null cpu kext. I still got the no HPETs panic, but ethernet was working (it said in verbose mode). I then rebooted with the flags you told me before -x -f -F -v but I still got the HPET panic, I am now going to re install the whole OS, and choose the alternate bootloader on the customize menu.

Because I read about the HPET panic, and people on other forums said it was to do with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagmet.kext

Should I install Disabler.kext rather than NullCPUPowerManagement.kext or neither?

Install only when you need, just others having issue and they install should not mean you install too. First boot, and see if you get HPET then try one kext at a time and check results. And for bootloader better install Chimera (Multibeast) and do care about the target disk. It must be the OSX partition.

So on the installer customize menu, I leave things alone? Or do I de select NullCPUPowerManagement? (The first time I installed, I left NullCPUPowerManagement selected)

NullCPUPowerManagement disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement enables CPU power management, sleep, etc.

NullCPUPowerManagement disables all that.

So, both there may cause HPET/KP. Better install just one and test. Then install other and test.

After installation I still get the HPET KP. In this screenshot, it says about the AppleIntelCPUManagement

Also, there was no bootloader, I am now going to boot with -v -f -F -x and install chimera, my ethernet kext, and disabler.kext 

1398003306__img_06331.jpg

I installed chimera again, but no luck, still wont load. I used disabler.kext this time, and as far as I can see it works, but booting gets stuck at:

**** [IOBluetoothHCIController][SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

I only used -v for this boot.

I heard this is a graphics error, but I am not sure of how to resolve it. Any help?

Thanks

See if -x can boot into osx (safe mode but ok once we can boot into).

If alone -x doesnt work then test all the combinations of :

-v -f -F GraphicsEnabler=Yes (or No) PCIRooutUID=1 (or 0) 

Yes you will get it. Now remind me which graphics card do you have. Sorry if you had told me earlier too.

You need to download to things :

1. EFIStudio

2. Chameleon Wizard 

Google both and download both of them.

Run EFIStudio in safe mode and copy the string (it will generate).

Now, start Chameleon Wizard and goto boot.plist (or something similar name, where it offers you to change values of boot.plist).

Paste the copied string from EFIStudio at left down (where it says device id) and apply it.

Now reboot with :

-v -f and 4 combinations of GraphicsEnabler=Yes (or No) PCIRootUID=0 (or 1)

Did you run EFIStudio from application folder?

EFIStudio does have HD 4600.

But even if even this doesnt work then download

AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext   AND

AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext

Install using kext wizard and again use common boot flags to boot.

I ran EFIStudio 1.1 from my USB (ethernet bridge was buggy) and there was only Nvidia devices in the "Graphics" selection

Ok let me explain again.

Put both Chameleon Wizard and EFIStudio into your application folder (you can remove later after your graphics works).

Open terminal and paste this command :

ioreg -lw0 -p IODeviceTree -n efi -r -x | grep device-properties | sed 's/.*<//;s/>.*//;' > device-properties.hex

This command will give you a file into your home folder, named  device-properties.hex.

Open EFIStudion and select open hext file..

Now open the just generated hex file in previous command.

Now EFIStudio will sure generate a string for your device ID.

Rest you know how to paste it in Chameleon Wizard as per my earlier post.

I copied the HEX from EFIStudio and pasted it in "Device properties" in the bottom left of chameleon wizard. Do I tick the box there?