Must always type GraphicsEnabler=No to boot, even though its in plist
1 1

Question

Hello.  I have everything working on a Dell t3400 except for sleep.  Its pretty fast and QE works on the NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 dual dvi video card.  I have dual monitors working beautifully.

The only issue is that I cannot boot unless I type in GraphicsEnabler=No at boot every single time.  If I forget to type this, after the apple logo the monitors will go into "Power save mode" and then shut off.  It seems the computer freezes because none of the status led's change on the keyboard for instance scroll lock, caps lock, num lock... also ctrl+alt+del does not reboot.

Anyway I read that you can put the boot flags in between the dict section within org.chameleon.Boot.plist.  Well I did that and I have the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Credits</key>
	<string>www.hackintosh.zone</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>y</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>	
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 dart=0</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>y</string>
</dict>
</plist>

See right there is GraphicsEnabler and No.  But if I don't type anything at boot, I get a black screen.  If I type GraphicsEnabler=No at boot, it starts up beautifully with full graphics acceleration.

Any ideas how I can get this automated?

2 answers to this question

I found a thread on another forum from tony mac x86 and someone there posted a dsdt and ssdt file for this model computer.  So I thought maybe this would help a lot, so I ran them through a program to convert them to the asl format and put it in extra.  However this caused the system to hang at boot.  Verbose mode shows it hangs on SMC: successfully initialized.  

So I booted off another hard drive with Niresh 10.9 and removed those two files.  So that's not a solution.  Also sometimes when I type GraphicsEnabler=No it still boots to black screen. I would say I have a 25% chance of the system booting if I type that, and a 0% chance of the system booting if I don't type anything.

On second thought, my boot to black screen issue is pretty random regardless of what boot args I type in.  Sometimes I thought I had it down pat by typing -v GraphicsEnabler=No GenerateCStates=Yes GeneratePStates=Yes PCIRootUID=0.  This would sometimes get me in.

Though most times I would get a black screen right after this line in verbose boot output:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management

Though last night I was able to boot it with just PCIRootUID=1 as a boot arg.

So its very hit or miss as to which boot arg to use.  I sometimes have to try to boot 3, 4 or 5 times but eventually it boots, and when it does, its quick and working well (though I had to disable sleep because it doesn't wake up).

Any ideas?

Dell precision workstation t3400

Intel Core2Duo

4GB RAM

128GB SSD (Mac boot)

64GB SSD (Windows 7 boot)

500GB 7200rpm (data and mac backup partitions)

Nvidia QuadroFX 1700 dual dvi

Broadcom gig nic onboard (broadcom driver works).

VoodooHDA works (loud pop sound at boot though).