Intel HD 2500 graphics with celeron processors
1 1

Question

I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck getting full graphics acceleration working with intel HD 2500 graphics on a celeron processor. Researching the internet has revealed significant numbers of good results with ivy bridge processors from the pricier lines, but it seems as though very few people, or nobody, are trying to get it working for celerons. This would enable very small, very inexpensive hackintosh builds, like the one I'm working on. I have full resolution, but no acceleration, if booting without the intel hd4000 kext, and everyone else who's attempted it seems suck there as well.

1 person likes this

2 answers to this question

Hi.

First, Intel Celeron/ Pentium based on the Ivy Bridge micro- architecture has an Intel HD Graphics not HD2500.

Second, the differences between these two GPUs are quite insignificant.

Graphics support for HD2500 comes on 10.8.3 and above.

Without core graphics implementation like 10.7.5/ 10.8- 10.8.2 you are able to make a regular boot of your OS X, because no kexts are loaded. Of course, no QE/CI is enabled.

Chimera /IGPEnabler/ and Chameleon /GraphicsEnabler/ gave me the same result when trying to enable HD Graphics on 10.8.3 and above- half colored screen with lots of artifacts. Absolutely the same as HD2500.

G1610 is a very impressive middle- class processor and if in the nearest future its GPU starts working it would be very nice.

1 person likes this

As far as I know the clock frequency and caches are the only difference, my system sees them as 2500, though I get the same glitch when booting without -x. Unless i trash the hd4000 kext, which lets it boot with no acceleration.

It seems like such a trivial difference to lose acceleration, I'm hoping someone can tweak a kext to get it running.