AMD 5800k APU with HD 6850 2GB - SO PERFECT.
1 1

1 post in this topic

I approached my OS X 10.9 Mavericks installation with a lot of caution.  It sounds so damn complicated!  I guess quite a bit of any computer skill comes from direct experience and can't be taught but this setup was so incredibly easy.  SO many people have problematic issues with this or that, making a Macintosh out of PC hardware can clearly be a LOT of work.  I want to tell my tale of great fortune :)  I am a PC gamer who had a good deal of old hardware laying around, so one day I bought an AMD apu 5800k and an ASUS mobo for it, and with the extra components I had a great home theatre pc.  I had been looking at Hackintosh builds for quite a while, and once I discovered Niresh I was really encouraged to give it a try.  I will get into specifics with anyone interested IN THE COMMENTS, otherwise I think it's better to show specs as basic hardware components:

-AMD 5800k APU  -  install boot flag=  amdfx           :)   So why did I choose FX instructions?  Because the 5800k uses Bulldozer/Vishera type cores or units. 

-ASUS FM2+ mobo

-4 gb ram - 2 parts     -make sure you have working RAM chips, or system will crash no matter the OS

-500 gb WD hard drive (I tried a 1 TB HD, installation was good but when booting I got the error that affects 1 TB+ boot drives... don't use a 1TB or greater boot drive for reasons you really don't want to get into)

-Sapphire AMD HD 6850 2 GB gpu  ~ I find it hilarious that for PC gaming this sucker is old and useless, on a Mac it's top of the line for the next year at least.

So I follwed directions, after some research I decided on:   graphicsenabler=YES :)

When I first tried to boot it froze at account creation, so I rebooted and tried some advice from a friend and type in quickly (during the Niresh boot) :  -x -v

This enables safe mode / verbose mode.  The system booted to the Mavericks desktop.  The Niresh optimization system started and things worked themselves out (thank so SO much Niresh for this, man truly I have so much love for this kindness). 

Sound worked automatically with front and rear ports, spdif etc. identified in the sound control panel.  What was amazing is that once I restarted out of safe mode, the graphics card did Quartz Extreme and everything else perfectly. 

Here was my most pleasing "hack" - and one that I think a lot of you will appreciate :)  I have a TP link usb wireless card, and I downloaded the OS X 10.8 installer form their website from my PC and brought it by flash drive to the Hackintosh.  For whatever reason, it wouldn't let me install.  Everything in the installer was greyed out and set to "skip".

I went into hacker mode.  I used the (THANK YOU NIRESH AGAIN!!!) unpacking tools provided to make it work.  I knew it was the correct installer package, so I viewed "package contents" of each element, right clicking on each package, viewing contents, then with the "payload" file I right clicked and unarchived it, taking the .kext file onto my desktop (.kext files are extensions or drivers needed for hardware to work).  I then used the .kext installer tool included by Niresh in the local Applications folder and installed them together, then used my manually unpacked "Wireless" on restart.  It fucking worked.  OMG.  I was so pleased.  How did I figure this out? I open the "uninstall" script in TextEdit and there it is, in reverse, all the files that would normally be installed and the directories they belong in.

So I restart and open my Wireless, load up my access point bitch:  Now I'm online.

So I installed Steam and linked to my account, wow I was able to play graphically intensive games on my new "Mac Pro".  The AMD 5800k showed up as a Xeon 3.82ghz quad core in the system, pretty hilarious.  The 6850 goes beyond it's PC potential on a pc, it behaves so differently and wonderfully under OS X.  I understand now why Apple doesn't use "cutting edge" GPU's in their systems.  My gaming PC's  AMD r9 290 would do severe damage on an OS X system man lol.

I tried to load the new Tomb Raider title in Steam got an error - You need to update to 10.9.1... SHIT.  SHIIIIIT.  I sat there looking at forum posts about the nightmares associated with updating.  I eventually said fudge it, downloaded the so-called "Mac Pro 10.9.1 update" a link to the Apple updater file you can find through Google from tonymacx86.  Ran the update.......

Everything worked better.  Why am I so lucky.

I kid you not, boot times faster, better gaming performance.  Good deep breath.  Ok my new AMD Mac Pro is bad ass.  So  I had been reading up on using a PC bluetooth dongle to use the Apple Magic Mouse and PS3 controllers...  WTF!!!! I plugged it in and it worked right away.  Sweet.  In the bluetooth control panel I paired my Apple Magic Mouse and a PS3 controller.  At this point I was feeling like the luckiest Hackintosher ever.  It had been such a simple smooth setup.

With my 10.9.1 working perfectly, sound, you name it, everything still good, I crossed my fingers and launched Tomb Raider.  Boom.  Immediate bluetooth PS3 controller support, I put the graphics @ 1080p on High settings, gamed my heart out. 

I have had such a great Hackintosh experience, it was so easy.  Anyone needing guidance go on and comment.  AMD Hackintosh is not only possible, it's fucking awesome.