Unable to install Mavericks using USB on HP Computers
1 1

Question

Hi

I downloaded the mavericks dmg file and then used the instructions under distros to copy it to a 16gb usb stick.

when i connect the usb to my Compaq 610 laptop, it doesn't boot off it even though I have set in my boot order to boot from usb before harddisk.

I created a ubuntu live installer on usb and this boots fine on my laptop.

i checked the mavericks usb installer on a dell computer and it starts the installer successfully.

I checked the mavericks usb installer on a hp workstation and had the same issue as the compaq 610 laptop (their bios looks same).

I have updated the bios on the compaq 610.

Can someone help me find why the usb installer is not booting on my compaq 610?

thank you

2 answers to this question

I get the same problem on my HP XW6400 workstation .. I managed to get a 10.5.5 image to boot but anything newer than that refuses to boot without the help of a already installed chameleon bootloader.. and even then i run into kernel panics after install lol

I get the same problem on my HP XW6400 workstation .. I managed to get a 10.5.5 image to boot but anything newer than that refuses to boot without the help of a already installed chameleon bootloader.. and even then i run into kernel panics after install lol

Hi Crispe

I found that the 16GB usb I was using was too big for my HP to recognize.. damn! I used an 8GB and it saw the usb during bootup but now I am having the same issue as you, kernel panics when booting up from usb.

How do you install a chameleon bootloader so that it recognizes and installs off the usb?

Thank you