Fix: Stuttering Sound With Amd Cpu (10.9 & 10.8)
1 1

Question

Hey everybody.This is a quick way to fix stuttering audio when you're not moving your mouse.

This is a very common bug with Hackintosh in use with an AMD CPU & Kernel with Audio.

This is because for some reason the Audio-Kext needs to have a "working" Cpu, means if it goes to Idle or no usage the audio will start to stutter - thats why you have clear sound when you move your mouse around.

Now for me, i try'd different kext's and solutions like activating SSE2 on Voodoo PrefPane and almost every other solution that is floating around on the Interwebs.

So im using a Quadcore AMD Cpu , and my way to "fix" this bug is to put the CPU usage on 100%.

But since you're using multiple Cpu's your performance won't go down. For example i can still run everything very fast and crisp, even games still run without any problems. Long story short > i noticed no difference in performance.But this might change on a different AMD CPU . So try it on your own risk. But let me assure (this won't brick your OSX Installation its just a terminal command).

Step1. Open Terminal.app

Step2. "yes > /dev/null" without quotation marks into terminal app.

Step3. Press Enter and enjoy proper Audio.

How to Disable:   "no > /dev/null"  without quotation marks into Terminal app.

Note: Terminal have to run as long as you want to have this "Fix" applied.

When you close Terminal, it resets itself. So just start the command and minimize Terminal !

YouTube Video Proof i did:

Enjoy and have a nice day! And much thanks to Niresh crew for providing great mackintosh distros.

2 people like this

9 answers to this question

Does not work for me, i'm sorry.

Sorry to hear.. the result probably changes depending on what AMD Cpu is being used.

In my case im using the Phenom2 X4 BE 955 .Here is a video as proof that its working.. maybe you made a typo in terminal.app ? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB6L3vwTXCk

This works for me, but there has to be a better way to fix this issue.  Any ideas?  I am new to the Hackintosh realm but am willing to help where I can.  I have a Phenom2 x4 965.  Everything else works perfect except the crackling audio.

This works for me also. Thanks a lot was losing hope lol. Is there any way to have this automatically applied during startup? This This way it does not have to be done manualy every start up.

Niresh 10.9 everything works but can't fix audio. ASUS M4A78T-E Phenom II x6.I tried disable audio in BIOS, tried USB sound card I also tried Bose companion 5 speakers which are detected as another sound card. I also reinstall niresh many times... no luck. distortion in audio in all 3 different sound cards... 

Niresh 10.9 everything works but can't fix audio. ASUS M4A78T-E Phenom II x6.I tried disable audio in BIOS, tried USB sound card I also tried Bose companion 5 speakers which are detected as another sound card. I also reinstall niresh many times... no luck. distortion in audio in all 3 different sound cards... 

Maybe a late response but i have the same motherboard and CPU as you and i was also screwing with it for 2 days.

Here is the FIX:

• Enter the Bios from your motherboard.
  • Go to Jumpfree/CPU config > DISABLE "AMD TURBO CORE"
  • Do this fix and it will work! :)

I think many people with processors that have AMD Turbo Core have the same issue, and i think this needs to be set in the Niresh Install Guide