Intel DZ77RE-75K with OS X 10.9 (Correct Install Settings Advice Please)
2 2

Question

Hi All, 

I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some help after trying to install the latest 10.9 a number of times without any luck as yet... each time I get kernel panics or lockups during boot (I was able to get into 'safe mode' before using the following: " -v -x Graphics Enabler=No Maxmem=4096 cpus=1 "

I've tried random settings and details and get various errors depending what settings I use during the install (but to be honest I'm not 100% sure what I should be selecting or unselecting during the install for my mainboard and was hoping for some guidance to ensure this first step is correct before I post any boot issues or  errors as I'm sure my current issues are due to me using some wrong customisation install options at the moment)...

This is my current config:

- Mainboard: Intel DZ77RE-75K

- CPU: Intel i5 3570-K CPU

- Addon-Cards: NONE! (including no GPU..etc)  just using onbard Intel gfx.

Please find below a list of the main board items included:

Intel DZ77RE-75K Product Description

Form Factor ATX (12.00 inches by 9.60 inches [304.80 millimeters by 243.84 millimeters])

Processor 
• 3rd generation Intel® Core processor family and 2nd generation Intel® Core processor family processors with up to 95 W TDP in an LGA 1155 socket 
― Two PCI Express* 3.0 x16 graphics interfaces (operates in x8 mode when both slots are populated)
― Integrated memory controller with dual channel DDR3 memory support
― Integrated graphics processing (processors with Intel® HD Graphics)
― External graphics interface controller

Memory 
• Four 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
• Support for DDR3 1066 MHz to +2400 MHz DIMMs
• Support for 1 Gb, 2 Gb, and 4 Gb memory technology
• Support for up to 32 GB of system memory with four DIMMs using 4 Gb memory technology
• Support for non-ECC memory
• Support for 1.5 V (standard voltage) and 1.35 V (low voltage) JEDEC memory
• Support for XMP memory
Note: DDR3 1600 MHz DIMMs are only supported by 3rd generation Intel Core processor family processors

Chipset 
Intel® Z77 Express Chipset consisting of the Intel® Z77 Platform Controller Hub (PCH)

Audio 
• 8-channel (7.1 + 2) Intel® High Definition (Intel® HD) Audio via the Realtek* ALC898 audio codec including:
― Front panel audio header with support for Intel HD Audio and AC ’97 Audio
― Five analog audio jacks on the back panel
― Onboard S/PDIF out header and back panel optical S/PDIF out connector
• 8-channel (7.1) Intel HD Audio via the High Definition Multimedia Interface* (HDMI*)

Graphics 
• Integrated graphics support via an HDMI v1.4a interface
• Support for PCI Express 3.0 x16 add-in graphics card
Note: PCI Express 3.0 is only supported by 3rd generation Intel Core processor family processors

Legacy I/O Control 
Nuvoton* legacy I/O controller for Consumer Infrared (CIR) and hardware management support

Peripheral Interfaces
• Eight USB 3.0 ports:
― Four ports implemented with stacked back panel connectors (blue)
― Four ports implemented through two dual-port internal connectors (blue)
• Eight USB 2.0 ports:
― Four ports implemented with stacked back panel connectors (two black and two orange high current charging ports)
― Four front panel ports are implemented through two dual-port internal headers
• Nine Serial ATA (SATA) ports:
― Two SATA 6.0 Gb/s interfaces through the Intel Z77 Express Chipset with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology RAID support (blue)
― Two SATA 6.0 Gb/s interfaces through a Marvel 88SE9172 controller (gray)
― One back panel eSATA 6.0 Gb/s port through a Marvel 88SE9172 controller (red)
― Four internal SATA 3.0 Gb/s interfaces through the Intel Z77 Express Chipset with Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID support (black)
• Two IEEE 1394a ports:
― One port via a back panel connector
― One port via a front-panel header (blue)

Wireless Module 
• Separate module that provides both Bluetooth* and WiFi included with the desktop board

BIOS 
• Intel® BIOS resident in the SPI Flash device
• Support for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI), Plug and Play, and SMBIOS 

Instantly Available PC Technology
• Support for PCI* Local Bus Specification Revision 2.2
• Support for PCI Express* Revision 2.0
• Suspend to RAM support
• Wake on PCI, PCI Express, LAN, front panel, CIR and USB ports

Connectivity 
• Two Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mb/s) LAN subsystems using the Intel® 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Controller and Intel® 82574 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
• Thunderbolt™ Technology Interface

Expansion Capabilities
• Two PCI Express 3.0 x16 bus add-in card connectors from the processor (2nd PCI Express slot is electrically x8)
• Three PCI Express 2.0 x1 bus add-in card connectors from the PCH
• Two Conventional PCI bus add-in card connectors from the PCH via a PCI bridge
Note: PCI Express 3.0 is only supported by 3rd generation Intel Core processor family processors

Hardware Monitor Subsystem
• Hardware monitoring and fan control through the Nuvoton I/O controller
• Voltage sense to detect out of range power supply voltages
• Thermal sense to detect out of range thermal values 
• Four fan headers using PWM control
• Four fan sense inputs used to monitor fan activity
• Fan speed control using voltage control (4-pin fan headers front, rear, and auxiliary) with selectable support in BIOS for 3-wire fans
• Support for Platform Environmental Control Interface (PECI)

Thanks in advance for any help/support any one is able to offer.

6 answers to this question

Can you reach the installation screen?

Boot the installation pendrive with these bootflags mach_kernel USBBusFix=Yes -x -v 

you shoul be able to reach the installation menu.

then follow the installation tutorial and just take a look in graphics drivers, in niresh distro should be a kext for your onboard graphics.

after that the installation finish, boot from the mavericks disc with the same bootflags if you cant boot, add to that bootflags line -f.

it should work, then browse the internet for more information.

Thanks igasstt,

Sorry should have mentioned I am able to get to the install scree, format/clean the drive, create partition, set any customisations to the install (I think this is where I might be going wrong with that options I need to remove/add to the install) and install the OS.

I can then boot the system and I can get past the boot loader and into the booting of the OS but then hangs at random spots depending what options I enable/disable during the install.

I'm still learning allot about how the OS/drivers work with OS X and still not understand the kext (drivers?) well just yet but reading more about it...

During the install do you know what options I should enable and which ones I should disable for the Intel board above?

I believe the issue might be related to the ACPI or CPU going on the log (attached below now) but after reading online many say it might be a graphics driver issue.

Cheers for your reply and help!

P.S. If I boot up after an install using the following boot flags "mach_kernel USBBusFix=Yes -x -v -f" I am able to get into safe boot as I was with using the following as well " -v -x Graphics Enabler=No Maxmem=4096 cpus=1 " however I can't seem to get it booting without safe boot.

Update:

Please find attached a screenshot of the standard boot process with the Verbose output set (boot flag = -v)

I've also tried the various following boot flags and get the same verbose output:

acpi=off

dart=0

post-58014-0-56489600-1402901525_thumb.j

The only thing that you have to touch in the installation screen is in drivers/Graphics/intelGraphics, that you have to select the one for your onboard graphics 

The only thing that you have to touch in the installation screen is in drivers/Graphics/intelGraphics, that you have to select the one for your onboard graphics 

Thanks for the reply IGASSTT

This is what I've tried with no luck as yet:

1) Re-Installed and selected to customise the installation, expanded Graphics and selected to enable "IGPEnabler=Yes" option and also unselected/removed

GraphicsEnabler=Yes , After install I got a very quick kernel panic... 

2) Tried to load the "System Information..." from the Utilities menu from the installer (boot USB). The system seemed to of hung on the grey screen shortly after selecting (waited about 5min)...  not sure if this will tell you any thing useful or not but though I would mention it just in case.

3) Reset BIOS to factory defaults and setup the required options such as (AHCI, Powerstate S3, HPEV enabled...etc)

4) Booted from USB installer again and re-formatted HDD (erased whole HDD) and tried again

Selected the following customisation options:

Enabled: IGPEnabler=Yes

Enabled: GraphicsEnabler=Yes 

Enabled: Chamelion EFI boot (also set BIOS to use EFI mode to see if this might help things along or not)

Got the same boot issue, getting stuck around unknown CPU model and CPU power management time out (same as previous screenshot)

P.S. I don't belive the system has hung at step 4 as if I insert a USB key into the system I can see the HDD access light as well as hearing the HDD heads moving for just under a second, so it does not seem unresponsive/hung but seems in a stuck or waiting state....

Do you have any other idea's or suggestions I could try?

I got it to boot once with the following but since a re-install I've not managed to get it working again...:

-v GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes "Graphics Mode"=1440x900x32 

I've re-installed a few time with both EFI and standard BIOS option and still running into the same issue above as well as a new one this is attached...

post-58014-0-89026500-1403590829_thumb.j