Installation time keeps jumping up
1 1

Question

Hi guys,

Anyone had a problem with the time remaining (during installation) going down as it should but then jumping back up?

I've attempted an install on my system a few times now, however must admit I'm using laptop hard drives that I've hooked up externally to my PC that I can't guarantee work 100%.

I managed to get mavericks installed on one of them but got stuck at still waiting for root device and tried all I could to get around it but decided to start again from fresh.

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4

GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX 560Ti and GT520 (I think - can never remember if it's a 420 or 520)

Installation media: USB with Niresh Mavericks (have attempted to rewrite the DMG already to fix the issue)

Might also be worth mentioning that prior to Niresh being recognised when I boot to the USB, I'm given 4 or 5 EBIOS read errors. Have been googling the issue but couldn't find anything too helpful as the USB is new and have already tried burning two different mavericks copies.

25 answers to this question

I had a similar issue where the installer wouldnt continue, it would just loop from 21 mins to 16 mins. I tried another USB and it worked ok. If you have another USB, try that. If not, try the ISO and write to a DVD

@ Thanks for the reply :)

I've got it installed. I bought a new external hard drive today so thought I'd give it a go. Installed fine however now getting an issue when booting.

Getting the following error:

invalid node structure

the volume Mac could not be verified completely

Not really sure where to go from here as I've never seen this error before, any ideas?

Managed to fix the harddrive issue. Attempted the fsck terminal method however that didn't work - then just did the standard verify disk and repair disk with disk utility.

Just gotta' install my Wifi card and configure my onboard 5.1 sound (any suggestions or advice in advance would be really helpful and appreciated) I'm good to go!

@ USBBusFix=Yes must be used if you have seen any USB Errors in Verbose Mode

@ Thanks for your reply :)
I managed to fix the "invalid node structure" error by using the Disk Utility's 'Repair disk' function. However when Niresh finished doing it's configurations the mouse click became unresponsive (nothing I clicked did anything), so I restarted the computer and then it wouldn't boot again. It said the same 'invalid node structure' error. I tried fixing it again with 'Repair disk' however it failed to fix it this time.

Do you think 'invalid node structure' is related to USBBusFix?

@ may be its because of external harddisk

@ Ah I see - I will try again with USBBusFix and my USB installation media.

I can't burn the ISO to DVD though because it's 5.07gb. I thought it could be burned to a standard single layer DVD?

@ the ISO Image of Mountain Lion will fix but apple increased package size so standard dvd won't fix since Mavericks

@ Ah okay thank you very much.

I will try with USBBusFix. If that doesn't work I'll buy some dual layer DVDs.

Thanks again!

@ I've reinstalled and have booted okay. But it was running he niresh configuration and now I just have a spinning wheel and can't click anything (this isn't the same issue I posted previously). Is it still doing the configuration?

Edit:

I restarted and left it, looks like it's configured fine this time.

For some reason though (so far) it's become unresponsive (mouse moves but nothing else) after a few minutes until I manually reboot.

Could still be the hard drive causing the issue I suppose?

@ ya, cause USBBusFix could be messing with keyboard and mouse

why dont you try clover bootloader it fixes USB issues without any probs

@ ya there is a small prob with that i modified the installer to make and load kext cache instead of kernel cache for amd users which is faster and convenient for amd users 

to use clover you may have to do some changes if you're ready im ready to help

@ I really appreciate your help Niresh.

Fortunately I've got it running now using Chameleon. I think I have an issue with one of my USB ports (or was possibly using USB3.0 port) as I've changed port now and it's working okay.

I have an EBIOS error everytime I boot but it passes after about 4 error messages. I think that's just my card reader, I don't use it so I could just unhook it, it's only error messages though - doesn't effect performance.

Only two problems I have now are my wi-fi (Trenda card, can't find kexts anywhere so will probably just buy a new card) and my sound (ALC892 - can't get it work at all, tried numerous different kexts but no luck).

Everything else (including dual screens on two different graphics cards) works a treat. :D

@ whats the dev and vendor id of your wifi card?

@ Any chance you'd know why my ALC892 isn't being picked up?
I've installed the kexts multiple times and reinstalled them even more, but it simply doesn't appear in Preferences -> Sound

I installed VoodooHDA when I installed OSX but just get the usual static from that and couldn't use 5.1 so I removed it.

@ Buy which one ?

Ask me before buying

@ Oh sorry mate I thought you posted one as a recommended purchase? What would you recommend?