DHCP not working (Self-assigned IP)
1 1

Question

First of all, it's impressive that Niresh Mavericks installed perfectly out of the box, while all other builds I've tried have given me kernel panic.

The only problem I have with the installation is that while my Wi-Fi hardware works and connects to the wireless network, it fails to actually get Internet access because it does not properly initialize the network via DHCP, and instead assigns a 169.x.x.x self-assigned IP. The Renew DHCP button doesn't fix the problem.

I first tried with a TP-Link TL-WN727N USB adapter, with the Mediatek driver and Ralink Wireless Utility. Once I actually got it to connect, but the connection was VERY slow and constantly timing out. At other times, I didn't even get that far, and the Wireless Utility, bizarrely, displayed RX Limit = 1Mpbs, which is way too low.

Now I did a clean reinstall with a newly bought TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-E adapter (the system sees it out of the box as an Atheros40 Airport), but with no success. The installer sees Wi-Fi, displays a panel icon and prompts me to connect - and does connect to the network, but fails to get Internet access. The installed system suffers from the same problem, and network properties show the self-assigned IP.

Any ideas?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 (Haswell)

Motherboard: ASUS H81M (Intel H81 Express chipset)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Wi-Fi: TP-Link TL-WDN4800

5 answers to this question

@lucidfox Whats the OS X Version that you're using now ?

Exact Version like 10.9.x ?

I fixed it by switching the router from 802.11b/g/n to just 802.11g. It was just OS X having this problem, though, Windows and Linux worked without this change. Still, at least it works now.