Which OS X to install on my old laptop?
1 1

Question

I'm currently have installed Yosemite on my very old laptop which was kept awhile in the closet. Thinking to keep it back and running, i wanted to run OSX and i'm sure i wouldn't be able to get the GPU working on Yosemite/Mavericks(correct me if i'm wrong). Anybody with experience could help me achieving GPU support. Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion dv6000

Intel Centrino Duo

nVidia 7400 Go mobile GPU

2.5GB of RAM

I have been able to get audio and lan working except graphics(yes, on Yosemite DP2), i'm too surprised its up and running without issues. Is there a solution to get GPU support? or should i have to go to a lower version of OSX to try out? I'm afraid to install nvinject on yosemite as it could cause panics and i dont want to bother installing it again for 2hours(it took that much due to lack of gpu acceleration)

8 answers to this question

try adding bootarg: GraphicsEnabler=yes

try adding bootarg: GraphicsEnabler=yes

i am running it via clover. Isn't GraphicsEnabler=Yes a chameleoon arg?

ps, i tried the argument with no success and now i have a mouse pointer with a while apple logo on a black background. Although thank you for your input

go to options-graphics- and select inject nvidia. if that doesn't work add inject vbios

1 person likes this

I'm currently have installed Yosemite on my very old laptop which was kept awhile in the closet. Thinking to keep it back and running, i wanted to run OSX and i'm sure i wouldn't be able to get the GPU working on Yosemite/Mavericks(correct me if i'm wrong). Anybody with experience could help me achieving GPU support. Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion dv6000

Intel Centrino Duo

nVidia 7400 Go mobile GPU

2.5GB of RAM

I have been able to get audio and lan working except graphics(yes, on Yosemite DP2), i'm too surprised its up and running without issues. Is there a solution to get GPU support? or should i have to go to a lower version of OSX to try out? I'm afraid to install nvinject on yosemite as it could cause panics and i dont want to bother installing it again for 2hours(it took that much due to lack of gpu acceleration)

Just a heads up the Pavilion 6000 series had some shoddy cooling solutions you might want to add some more copper to the heatsink and get more thermal paste on both the cpu and gpu lest you want them to burn.

1 person likes this

go to options-graphics- and select inject nvidia. if that doesn't work add inject vbios

ok will try doing that now

Just a heads up the Pavilion 6000 series had some shoddy cooling solutions you might want to add some more copper to the heatsink and get more thermal paste on both the cpu and gpu lest you want them to burn.

thanks! i will have that in mind :)

still no luck yet. I tried installing Lion, but the OS is comparatively smoother but stuck to one resolution(1024/768) with no full GPU acceleration. System profiler shows 3mb of video memory

use the niresh mountain lion distro, lion is outdated.

use the niresh mountain lion distro, lion is outdated.

okay, thanks. Will post back results