Audio Skipping/stuttering/distorted

Question

I'm running Mavericks on an AMD system, everything works marvellously with the exception of the audio. I tried both the internal and an external sound card and the problem persists. The trouble is exactly like another user posted here:

However, the solution he proposed did not work.

Thank you for any help.

12 answers to this question

I had the exact same problem, seemed like I tried everything but couldn't get audio to work.  I bought an $8 USB sound card and that fixed it.  Specifically, the Syba SD-CM-UAUD.  It says on the box that it works on OSX 10.5 and higher.

Solution is quite simple. Or at least it was in my case: Sound was terrible when I was not using my keyboard or mouse. A simple workaround is to add some kernel flags on boot: -cpus=[total number of cores - 1] (leave the brackets behind). Hopefully this wil solve your problem. 

I had the exact same problem, seemed like I tried everything but couldn't get audio to work.  I bought an $8 USB sound card and that fixed it.  Specifically, the Syba SD-CM-UAUD.  It says on the box that it works on OSX 10.5 and higher.

Solution is quite simple. Or at least it was in my case: Sound was terrible when I was not using my keyboard or mouse. A simple workaround is to add some kernel flags on boot: -cpus=[total number of cores - 1] (leave the brackets behind). Hopefully this wil solve your problem. 

Thanks for the advice guys, I implemented both of your solutions, using an OSX compatible external sound card, and the boot flag but I still have the messy audio playback. The issue is prominent in all playback related software, iTunes, Quicktime, Safari, etc...

Any other ideas?

What motherboard do you have so we can help?

You usually have to reinstall VoodooHDA with kext wizard and repair permissions using kext utility if there is a static noise.

If you leave the static noise on for too long it can blow out speakers, I'm not kidding.

Hello guys I'm with the same problem as did the two opiçoes but not fucionou
My system is running perfect just missing audio.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30 Ghz

Gigabyte GA-870ª-USB3

16 GB

HD 1 T

VGA GT 570 GTX

Hello guys I'm with the same problem as did the two opiçoes but not fucionou
My system is running perfect just missing audio.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30 Ghz

Gigabyte GA-870ª-USB3

16 GB

HD 1 T

VGA GT 570 GTX

check this out http://www.osx86.net/file/2527-ga-870a-ud3/

I tried installing via this tutorial http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/104461-how-install-dsdt.html did not succeed

Sound is still distorted someone managed to solve.

thank you

Hi, 

I am stuck with the same problem, I already tried the soultion above, it didn't worked.

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3    http://www.gigabyte.de/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3517#ov

AMD Phenom 1055T @ 6 Core

16GB Ram

250GB Seagate Harddrive

My motherboard features the following:

[*]Realtek ALC892 codec

[*]High Definition Audio

[*]2/4/5.1/7.1-channel

[*]Support for Dolby Home Theater

[*]Support for S/PDIF In/Out

[*]Support for CD In

Many thanks in advance

Hello,

I've the same issue with a Phenom II X6 and an Asus M5A97.

I use an old Creative SoundBlast Live! 24 USB as audio card (because my motherboard audio chipset is no more known by OS X due to all my try to fix it...).

This card works from many years on OS X.

Both solution found on this topic doesn't work.

New idea?

Hello,I've the same issue with a Phenom II X6 and an Asus M5A97.I use an old Creative SoundBlast Live! 24 USB as audio card (because my motherboard audio chipset is no more known by OS X due to all my try to fix it...).This card works from many years on OS X.Both solution found on this topic doesn't work.New idea?

What issue you are trying to solve?

What issue you are trying to solve?

I'm running Mavericks on an AMD system, everything works marvellously with the exception of the audio. I tried both the internal and an external sound card and the problem persists. The trouble is exactly like another user posted here: http://www.hackintosh.zone/forums/topic/303-fix-stuttering-sound-with-amd-cpu-109-108/ However, the solution he proposed did not work.Thank you for any help.