Updating After Kernel Backup (10.9.0 - 10.9.4)
2 2

Question

So I've got my Hackintosh up and running for a few days now. Only problem I noticed is when I close images opened the default Mac OS X image viewer, it takes 2 minutes for it to officially close. I'm not sure why this is.

So the main question I have is when I update from 10.9.0 to 10.9.4 through the official app store update, it goes into an infinite loop of reboots. In other words, it boots to apple logo screen then immediately turns black and reboots and the cycle will start again. I've tried booting with many options such as -f -v -x, or trying to use -s boot-flag to backup grafix, and xpcm-free (I have no idea what this does but it did grant me the wish of installing mavericks onto my computer). Neither of them had any affect.

After doing research, it seems like I need to backup my kernel of the above situations will occur. Using OSX86 tools, I've successfully backed up my kernel named "mach_kernel" or something the like onto my main SSD and onto a USB.

Though, what to do with the backed up kernel is beyond my knowledge. So I just went ahead and tried to install 10.9.4 again with the backed up kernel, and the results were not satisfying. The same thing happened the first time I tried installing the update. 

I should also note that my Hackintosh has no dual boot to windows, it's just Niresh Mavericks inside.

So here I am after many attempts, asking the people who know what they're doing with Hackintosh for advice and solutions.

Thank you for reading.

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro4

Graphics: EVGA Nvidia GTX 770

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k

Storage: SSD Samsung 250 GB

Secondary Storage: WD 1 TB 7200 RPM

That's about all the hardware that matters.

3 answers to this question