Please Help With My Optical Drive!!!! Mavericks!
1 1

Question

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH60N:

Firmware Revision:    UG00
  Interconnect:    ATAPI
  Burn Support:    Yes (Generic Drive Support)
  Profile Path:    None
  Cache:    2048 KB
  Reads DVD:    Yes
  CD-Write:    -R, -RW
  DVD-Write:    -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
  Write Strategies:    CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
  Media:    To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose File > Refresh Information

Ok, that is what shows in disc burning from system info. However, everytime i put almost any type of disc in the drive it does not get recognized or mount, and it is nearly impossible to eject it.

DVD player shows supported disc not available.

i think the system may have mounted one disc as a blank disc. but it was not blank.  Please help with this, any advice would be great!!!!!

5 answers to this question

Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S:

Firmware Revision:    102A
  Cache:    974 KB
  Media:    To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose File > Refresh Information

Changed to a more highly recommended drive. I still do not get any discs recognized. and it will not eject for a long time. If the DVD drive does anything it will say the disc is unreadable, or it will read the disc as a blank cd or dvd.

Way above is what shows in disc burning, However, that goes away if i put a disc in. Disk utility shows the drive as

Disk Description :    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S    Capabilities :    Open System Information
     Connection Bus :    ATAPI        
     Connection Type :    Internal        
     Burn Support :    Unsupported

I have tried the kexts from the lion-mountain lion issues such as the AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext and the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext with nothing changing as far as i can tell.

It would probably help to know that I have an AMD machine with an Nividia GeForce 6150 SE Chipset  (MCP61).

Ok this is what all I am trying now I have an internal sata and a usb to IDE

HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L:

Firmware Revision:    S742
  Interconnect:    USB
  Cache:    2048 KB

Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S:

Firmware Revision:    102A
  Cache:    974 KB

The drives are reported in system info as shown above. Disk Utilify shows "Burn Support: Unsupported" on both. When ever i put a software or data CD or DVD or My niresh DVDs, the drives either show nothing and wont eject for quite some time (and disc utility and system info starts pinwheeling), or they eventually show a prompt for Blank CD/DVD inserted. The usb connected drive sometimes changes in disk utility from the reported optical drive to the orange icon untitled, but nothing mounts or is able to mount. The same with video dvds. Nothing from either and it is sometimes recognized as a blank disc with the usual prompt. I know enough to realize that with my AMD machine and no ahci option in bios and no ide connections this is not easy but anyone who can help me muddle through this. Please

I have also tried changing the smbios.plist to reflect the machine as being a mac pro 4,1 rather than being a mac pro 3,1 (I was trying to see if that would change how the devices were seen) i had looked up the specs on an actual 3,1 and 4,1 and it said that the 3,1 used PATA as the connection for the optical drive, and the 4,1 used SATA. changing the smbios did not change anything. the two optical drives still are not recognizing discs.

What I have found out so far is that the drive can be opened and closed using the disk utility. Most of the time it will not read or mount what is in the drive but it will read it enough to know the size of the data on the disc. It sometimes states that the disk is not readable and it sometimes sees a blank disc when it does read here is what it shows

Name :     disk3s0
    Type :     Partition

Disk Identifier :     disk3s0
    Mount Point :     Not mounted
    Partition Type :     CD_ROM_Mode_1
    Connection Bus :     ATAPI
    Device Tree :     IODeviceTree:/PCI0@180000/ATA0@8/SEC0@1
    Writable :     No
    Capacity :     678.4 MB (678,428,672 Bytes)
    Owners Enabled :     No
    Can Turn Owners Off :     No
    Can Be Formatted :     No
    Bootable :     No
    Supports Journaling :     No
    Journaled :     No
    Disk Number :     3
    Partition Number :     0

I also get this: The disk “Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S†could not be unmounted.

Make sure that all applications and files are closed on this disk. (although it never fully reads the disc, only the capacity of the information)

when it finally does eject I get a popup stating that The disk you insrted was not readable by this computer