HP Laptop Support ?
1 1

Question

Hi Guys,

I have an : HP Envy 15 j163ei notebook and would like to find out how compatible it is with Hackintosh, i've managed to get it loaded with Hackintosh however it seems like there is a lot of problems.

• Sound is not working
  • Wifi not working
  • LAN not working

There could be more, if anyone else has this exact same notebook could you please let me know if you got these sorted perpaps or if anyone else has some information that may help ?

link to my exact notebook : http://www8.hp.com/za/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=6894560

Thanks in advance...

62 answers to this question

@5pArxz 740m might be supported but not officially, so i think you need to boot with hd graphics first, you are only able to boot with -x is because the nvidia graphics not working properly. try to boot with boot flag: '-v nv_disable=1 "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32" GraphicsEnabler=Yes IGPEnabler=Yes IntelAzulFB=XX'(ranging from 0 to 15, usually work with 10-12, just by trial and error) you should be able to boot without safe mode(-x). 

edit: oops, i just checked, 740m may not be support in any way now

1 person likes this

@

sound: just use voodoo, and normally you will get a kernel panic, just modify according to this, will be fine

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267905-voodoohda-common-problems/

lan: you can use niresh's all in one network solution.

wifi: i am using newer model, with different wifi, can't help you. but i remember that someone with j model can use wifi, try to find out on Google

@

Thanks for the support :) much appreciated. This will be a very noob question but i cannot get lan or wan working obviously so how will i go about getting niresh all in one network solution on my laptop ? as i cannot transfer files from a windows machine ?

I've sinse this post re installed windows and am now running maverics 10.9 successfully in VmWare but thats only in fullscreen mode in windows which is not optimal.

I'm very new to this whole thing. and have no idea what what is :P LOL

@

Thanks for the support :) much appreciated. This will be a very noob question but i cannot get lan or wan working obviously so how will i go about getting niresh all in one network solution on my laptop ? as i cannot transfer files from a windows machine ?

I've sinse this post re installed windows and am now running maverics 10.9 successfully in VmWare but thats only in fullscreen mode in windows which is not optimal.

I'm very new to this whole thing. and have no idea what what is :P LOL

@ oh you only get 1 computer with you? then you need to download the all in one solution first in windows, then install. i have my envy 15 with dual booting

@, no i have 2 notebooks. other one is an Acer but how will i get the files from that notebook to the other with mac installed ?

@, no i have 2 notebooks. other one is an Acer but how will i get the files from that notebook to the other with mac installed ?

@ just use a usb, mac can read and write fat and exfat, read ntfs, so all format you used on windows can help you transfer those drivers file

@ Yes i've tried that initially but if i format the usb mac osx extended or whatever then windows cannot read it and if i format it fat32, exfat or ntfs then mac cannot mount it ? ( at least that is what is happening to me ) because if i can get the Lan working i guess i can get more things going.

Thanks for the help :) 

@ Yes i've tried that initially but if i format the usb mac osx extended or whatever then windows cannot read it and if i format it fat32, exfat or ntfs then mac cannot mount it ? ( at least that is what is happening to me ) because if i can get the Lan working i guess i can get more things going.

Thanks for the help :)

@ windows cannot mount hfs+ without additional software, but mac can mount fat32 and exfat to read and write, only read can be done for ntfs.

@ Thanks i will give it another go, else i was thinking of downloading it on my vmware and formatting the usb mac osx, put it on and then load notebook, cause then i will have a mac formatted usb with the all in one solution on it. can you suggest any other post installation software that may / may not help ? as well as boot flags as i mostly only get it working with -x which is safe mode if i remember correctly

@ my notebook has the switchable graphics, HD4600 and dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated) .

here is my notebooks full specs : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c04191344

Copied from source : 

Microprocessor Intel Core i7-4700MQ with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (2.4 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
Chipset Intel HM87 Express
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Hard Drive 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
Display 39.6 cm (15.6â€) diagonal FHD BrightView LED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.0 combo
Sound Beats Audio with 4 speakers and two subwoofers
Keyboard Full-size island-style backlit with numeric keypad
Pointing Device HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
External Ports 1 multi-format SD media card reader
1 HDMI
1 headphone/microphone combo
4 USB 3.0 (1 HP USB Boost)
1 RJ-45 Dimensions 37.95 x 25.07 x 2.79 cm
Weight 3.54 kg
Power 120 W AC power adapter
6-cell (62 WHr) Li-ion
Camera HP TrueVision HD Webcam (front-facing) with integrated dual array digital microphone

@ Thanks man, i will give it another go with all this new information :) Thanks a lot for the assistance! Hopefully my next post will be here from my working mac. So lets get to work! :) 

@5pArxz 740m might be supported but not officially, so i think you need to boot with hd graphics first, you are only able to boot with -x is because the nvidia graphics not working properly. try to boot with boot flag: '-v nv_disable=1 "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32" GraphicsEnabler=Yes IGPEnabler=Yes IntelAzulFB=XX'(ranging from 0 to 15, usually work with 10-12, just by trial and error) you should be able to boot without safe mode(-x). 

edit: oops, i just checked, 740m may not be support in any way now

If 740 is not supported do i need to boot without GraphicsEnabler ?

If 740 is not supported do i need to boot without GraphicsEnabler ?

i don't know as i am booting with both GraphicsEnabler and IGPEnabler for my envy 15 which has a 850m that is not supported too and i boot with both for HD4600. still boot with GraphicsEnabler, because i think that it enable the QE/CI.

@ Okay i will just trail and error that then. Where can i find resources as to what is supported and not supported etc. ?

I have one more question, must i use the .iso or .dmg download when loading it directly on to a notebook/pc ? 

@ i use dmg and write it in windows, seems if you have a usb, dmg will be better, iso for dvd. and there is no any website have a very precise list, usually just know your parts model number, and search it with google.

@ I've tried the boot flags you recommended and i just get instant reboot when trying to load laptop. I've also now tried -x and about 10 000 other combinations but now i keep getting instant reboot. Any Boot flag ideas ?

@ I've tried the boot flags you recommended and i just get instant reboot when trying to load laptop. I've also now tried -x and about 10 000 other combinations but now i keep getting instant reboot. Any Boot flag ideas ?

@5pArxz are you booting niresh 10.9 installer? if yes, boot with xpcm-free kernel, and in the installer, no need to do the graphics, just type in:'xlcm-free -v' and it should successfully boot up the installer

@ Thanks, yeah i forgot about that one... finally got it installed but i cannot boot from HD without -x flag as it seems like i keep getting Kernel Panic something regarding Audio, i've looked at the post link you linked to earlier, but where do i change this ? i have absalutely no idea ?

Problem: kernel panic.
Solution 1: remove AppleHDA and restart the system before installing VoodooHDA.
Solution 2: edit Info.plist, replace the key IOPCIClassMatch by IOPCIPrimaryMatch and put the PCI ID of your audio card in string.
Before

What does that mean ? haha

Thanks for the help and patience with me :)

@ Thanks for the info, here comes yet another noob question, 1) where can i find the file and 2) do i boot in safe mode (-x) and do the changes and then restart ? or do i need to change it on my installer and then re install mac ?

ps. Thanks for assisting me with all my noob questions, much apreciated. :)

@ if you have a dual boot, then go into windows and download the file, if not, boot into safe mode and first move away voodoohda.kext then reboot without safe mode, afterthat find a usb on another computer to download the file, and put it into you mac, run it and find out the pci id. then put back the voodoohda with modified info.plist. abd reboot without cache for once.