Hey All,

My config:

Alienware 17

i7 4800qm

780m GTX

16 GB Ram

BCM43xx Wifi

Killer e2200 Network Card

Worked with a friend of mine and got my Alienware up and running with Niresh 10.9 almost perfectly so I thought I would share the tut we have:

1.  Obviously get Niresh 10.9 dmg and use your favorite method to get it on USB

2.  In the Bios, Legacy boot must be enabled

3.  Boot from the USB drive

4.  At boot type "xpcm-free -v" without quotes and press Enter

5.  Click on the HDD you are going to install OSX on and click Customize (you may have to format the hdd with disk utilities first.  I would recommend making 2 partitions, 1 main and one you can make a backup on)

6.  Uncheck "Install Network Drivers (kexts)"

7.  Click arrow "Graphics" > uncheck GraphicsEnabler=Yes and check Backup Graphics Kexts

8.  Click arrow "FakeSMC and Plugins" > Arros "FakeSMC Plugins" Check CPU, LPC and GPU Sensors

9.  Click Arros "Laptop Drivers"  Check "Enable Battery Percentage"

10.  Clike OK then Install. 

11.  While it's installing, download these files and put them on a usb:  http://www.mediafire.com/download/as78776qgb504a2/AlienwareOSX.zip

12. Go through the process, when it reboots don't boot from USB and then go through the setup, create profile, etc.

13.  Once into OSX, it is still not done, Let the Niresh installer do it's thing and repair the permissions (may take a little while)

14.  After it is all done, reboot

15.  When you get back into OSX, copy all of the texts from the file you downloaded onto the desktop and then run kextbeast to install them

16.  Reboot

17.  Install the Webdriver File (this is the Nvidia OSX drivers) and reboot

18.  This time, on boot, you MUST have your laptop plugged into an external display via hdmi otherwise you will just get a black screen.  Once you are back into OSX, you can unplug from the external monitor and just use your laptop display.

That is it, you now have an (almost) fully functional hackintosh with working wifi, ethernet and sound via speakers.

2 bugs that I have never worked out is that I cannot get audio over hdmi and that on boot you need to be plugged into an external monitor or you will just get a black screen on your laptop monitor.

I cannot take much credit for this other than sharing.  My buddy had a youtube vid showcasing this and it has been taken down and I haven't talked to him for months so I don't want to mention him by name but he deserves the biggest majority of the credit.

I can't remember where I got the BCM kext or I would link to it.  If it is yours, or you know who created it, please let me know and I'll credit it here.

The Killer E2200 kext, I got from gamester3333 over on TonyMac--thank you sir!

If anyone has any input on the 2 remaining bugs I have, I would greatly appreciate your assistance!

If this is in the wrong section mods, please move it!

1 person likes this

26 answers to this question

About the hdmi audio there is a box somewhere in the chameleon wizard that you have to check

About the hdmi audio there is a box somewhere in the chameleon wizard that you have to check

Nope doesn't work, tried that already...... :(  It is a real shame because it's really the only thing that is stopping me from using OSX full time.....

Just wanted to thank you for the guide - was able to get me AW17 up and running at 10.9 following your guide. Mine is a 4900mq/16GB/780m config with the 120hz screen.

I was wondering if you updated to 10.9.4 on your hack or did you leave it at 10.9.0. Im wondering because I planned to use FCPX on here and it seems that i might HAVE to run 10.9.4 to be able to run the most current version of the software. I tried to update via Software update and have been unable to get back into the system no matter what combination of boot flags I tried. Should I just say screw it, nuke the installation and start fresh - simply leaving it at 10.9.0? Or were you able to get to 10.9.4 without an issue?

Thank you so much for this! You are awesome! Hopefully we can figure out the HDMI output issue. I do not want to have to connect to an external monitor every time.

Hey all, thank you for all the thanks and while I do deserver some of it, I really did nothing much.  I'm no dev, used a lot of google and had a lot of help from my buddy.

As for the hdmi, it doesn't bother me to plug into an external monitor on boot.  What really bugs me is the no audio over the hdmi.

Sorry for the lack of responses in the thread, started a new job and have very little time.  To be honest, this is a hobby at best.  I'll install OSX and play around with it every couple of months or so.  As far as updating, I really have no clue.  I would rather have everything working perfectly on 10.9 before worrying about 10.9.4.

I will add that I have the 120Hz screen as well (while it's nice to have the extra umpphhh in the screen, Dell really screwed us in the implementation.  No graphics switching and it's a pain in the arse for the most basic things).

So it installs, but freezes with a kernel panic on setup. It pretty much tells me that no HPETs are available and that the CPUs are configured incorrectly. My BIOS looks like yours and I did everything the way you had it stated. Here's my screen KjCxml.jpg

Ok so I got the Hackintosh working, but my GPU fan is going haywire. It's really loud and starts on startup. This was before I loaded the KEXTs. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Seems to not allow me to update. I updated to 10.9.5. That did not boot and I was told to switch the kernel with the old one. That didn't work. Then I was told to replace the System/Library/Extensions with the old ones after the update. That did not work. I'm told it should update flawlessly without any of that stuff because   it is an intel, but it doesn't seem to be the case with me. It is freezing after the GeForceSensors (pci1): started, even after deleting geforce kexts.

The fan was the one thing that I couldn't stomach when running OSX, there was zero control of the gnu fan, and no way to turn it down. I reinstalled 10.9.0 to keep it stable, but until we can figure out the fan issue I'll probably stick to hackintoshing my desktop, which has been INFINITELY easier.

I'm not giving up on my hack AW17 though, its like a the top-end 27" iMac got shoehorned into a laptop with a badass lighting scheme and then got upgraded to a 120hz screen. I was using it in class the other day and made someones head explode, lol.

Not to take away from Niresh or this article, but the fan bothered me as well. I just couldn't do it. Also I am a ruby programmer and needed to be able to update XCode for certain applications, but it wouldn't update properly unless I had 10.9.3 at least. I was able to get everything working extremely well on my Alienware using a different method.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301265-alienware-17-r5mid-2013-install-1095/

It is 10.9.5 and I believe it should be easy to update.

Everything works well, including bluetooth, HDMI Audio, and not starting on invisible HDMI.

The only problems I have is the headphone jack wasn't working well for me, though I only tested it once, and certain Apple Applications that use Quicktime video were not working correctly. I have Quicktime workarounds though. Parallels works very well with it as well.

CDT Mitchell

Hi Taylor - thanks for your research - tried the same method on my Alienware 14 and it works perfect for that to! Seems to run more smoothly than the niresh build to!

Hello Tayler. You say you gotten everything to work well with a few hick-ups. Can you please go into more detail in how you managed to get from maverick to 10.10 through upgrading? The guide you pointed out shows how to get Clover into UEFI mode but it falls short from any real follow ups from there. Are you saying you upgraded from a Maverick 9.? or had you used the Niresh Distro? how did you go about upgrading it to Yosimite?

Upgrading just with Mavericks, and the guide only yields a boot screen with no touchpad or keyboard support. This is why I wondered maybe you upgraded the Niresh Distro which has both keyboard and touchpad support.

Also, It shows you posted on the 3rd of this month that the Graphics Card was one of the many things working (giving im understanding this correctly in that you typed this) but then on the 8th you said "Fixed a huge issue today! My graphics card works!" I thought it was fixed ont he 3rd?

Im sorry im not trying to be a douche but im just confuse and trying to figure out the missing steps. I will happily help you and your research to figure out our common goals. I need you to fill in the blanks though.

Taylor, Can you please provide the config.plist for me to download? 

I got Yosemite installed but the Graphics card still is a problem. It doesn't show on my main display, only HDMI.. I'm king to work with it some more, it would be nice if others could help work with one another :)

Also Taylor, I installed the kext you provided but it had no effect on my system at all. 

I got everything installed just fine and well.. the video card through laptop support is terrible. the mouse is moving very slow. acceleration is M.I.A. My monitor after installing the kext you provided is showing up as a 27inch. Can you please provide your config file because i dont know how you set it up but the kext simply arent working for my system at all. Its like being in safe mode. Anyways, If you could send a link to the config that would be super! And any other advice you can shed on the top would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Soooo Taylor, I installed Yosimite and everything works fine the BT,WiFi,Network,Camera,USB3.0, track, keyboard, USB mouse, no loud fans. It even has full native acceleration, However theres just one problem. The same problem that was with Mavericks. "No Main Monitor Support" Im sorry to say but with you claiming to have full main monitor support isnt how OSX was meant to be shown. You dont have Acceleration. having 1080p on your display doesnt = smooth transitions. Yosimite has the same problem Mavericks had but at least with Mavericks we could plug in a HDMI cable getting Full Accelerated support for our notebooks displays, then pulling the cable out. I've tried ALL the Video card Associated flags, I even tried injecting the monitor but all have failed.

Ok so make sure you aren't using Niresh. Unfortunately it never worked for me. If you did do the Vanilla install make sure you use the kexts I gave you, but those video kexts only work on Mavericks. If you upgrade be sure to upgrade the kexts. http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us. Extract the kexts with Pacifist. You may have to do that every time you upgrade. Now make sure you have the correct config.plist. What does your "About this Mac" state? If it is Macbook Air then you need to find a config.plist that is either a macbook pro or an imac. I recommend the imac. The reason why it has issues is because a Macbook Air cannot have a dedicated graphics card. An iMac actually uses a dedicated mobile graphics card and has a 780m in it. So that's why it will be more compatible with the imac. Just google what to put on there. OR download the clover app and build one that way just use the default iMac one.

I used the original unmodified Mavericks App to do the install as you said to do. I then booted with no problems what so ever. then I installed the kext you provided and it then booted with the PCI configuration error every boot. I used flags to get past that but still your kext do nothing at all. What are the stats of your R5? because i shouldnt be having so many issues. Can you send me your config file? Im realy at a loss. And yes, It is set up as a "iMac" as you said to do.

your kext provide support for BT and wifi but thats been something I been had figured out. I always had issues with the video card. pretty much everything else is easy to get. Anyways, please send me your config file if you dont mind and knowing your Alienware R5 stats would help out. Thanks

-13 days later-

After asking Taylor for his config file, he is M.I.A. And i think the reason for this is he is quite frankly - Full of Sh## or shady to say the least. Making false claims that he has his Alienware R5 working yet providing the easiest kext-proves nothing. Without main monitor support its pretty pointless in my opinion to even have a hackintosh build. with no acceleration things move laggy, and just isnt worth the effort. So for anyone reading this, keep in mind Taylor is a lier. "The Alienwares 17 R5's" monitor cant be natively supported because we have no control in making our Nvidia cards our monitors main display. instead, OSX initially looks at our CPU as its main. Its why we get black screens with HMDI out because its using our CPU, and not GPU. And with Mavericks when we do have native support for our monitors with Bills kexts he provided, having the HDMI plugged in then removing it, youll notice the screen flickers with the first boot this is because as i said the CPU is being initiallized first. Its a flaw design with the alienwares 17 why we cant make our nvidia cards second or first to the CPU. Its why you havent seen "REAL" proof that it works for our system because sad to say, it doesnt. Its even worse with 3D displays because the CPU doesnt support 120hz, only 60.

Best bet in my opinion is to get another notebook. :D

Let me just say if you would like to act like a whiny 2 year old you can just stop posting on forums that way. Be professional. This is not my job. It is not a requirement for me to give you anything or help you when you act like that. I already told you use the default iMac configuration. Mine works. The specs of my laptop are already posted in the tutorial. What sense would it make for me to lie about this? I am out of high school. I don't need to impress you or anyone else. I also don't get paid for this. I post here at my convenience. Also trying to find me on Skype without asking me is also not cool. You are actin like a childish kid and I already have a kid of my own to deal with I don't need another. Second off I couldn't reply because I have been working...you know for money at my real job . Do not try to contact me again through other means than this website. I haven't had the time to give you a file that you can already build yourself through the software at your disposal. Getting that file takes two seconds. I assure you it's no different than mine. I have always used my Alienware on it's dedicated GPU. I do not have the 3D or 120htz model. I never use the integrated gpu. Make sure you disable your integrated if you can. I do not use graphics switching. I do not use an external monitor except for when I code. I use nothing more than a Bluetooth headset because the audio through headphones and HDMI doesn't work. If you can figure that out let me know. Again those are the issues I am concerned about. See the tutorial I believe there was one more issue but it wasn't a big deal for me. Next time you post don't act like you are owed something from me and certainly don't call me a liar. Eventually I was going to video my Alienware booting to OSX. I haven't the time to spend on it and even though I have an Alienware I haven't even had a chance to play too many awesome games with my 780 card. Be respectful of people on here.

-It would seem i struck a nerve with Talyor, replying the following day. Mr 13 day M.I.A-

Lets go over what Taylor just typed ignoring his blah,blah,blahs of what he thinks of me. I hate to bust your delusional bubble but (noob alert) telling you have a "Alienwares R5" isnt telling its specs. Finding you on skype? dude seriously? why the H.E double hocky sticks would i look for you outside this site? I dont know what your smoking but you may want to put it down. (noob alert 2) Telling me to make sure to disable my gpu? it just shows you dont even know your own R5 (it cant be disabled). So in your world All Hackintosh iMAC config files are made the same assuring me it wont be different from yours, and you call me a 2 year old.. smh...  You talk about respect, and would tell me how to act last i checked your not my daddy-are you? because if you are im getting payed! child support! :D. I just think your a liar, get over it bud, theres really no need to get your panties in a uproar. If you dont want to help the hackintosh community then dont help. I had made a youtube video posting a guide on how to install OSX Mavericks on our R5's. Im the one that Bill is referring to. I took it down till I can figure out how to get the video working, then i was going to do a full guide. I'd even still help you in hopes that it could help someone else. Anyways theres way to many hot women in the world to be getting bothered over what 1 person says, and thinks. I'll just try figuring out things myself. Then post a "Real" Alienware R5 Guide. Peace. And Stop Lying! >:<

Yes you can disable graphics switching, but I know that the 3D and 120hz models both do not have Optimus, so yours should only be using the dedicated. I know if you press "Fn+F5" on mine with will allow me to switch between the dedicated and integrated. Anyways, I just double checked my tutorial and it looks like you are correct. I've never posted my specs there. Sorry about that. Anyways try to be professional and I'm definitely not a noob. I will post my specs on the tutorial site, but in case it helps I will post them here now, because it may be a little while for me to get to that. Also I double checked who was trying to contact me through skype and it was surgiio from the insanely mac tutorial. Sorry about that. Poor reaction on my part for that piece. Anyways, I'm also not here to argue with someone who likes to call names. Like I said I'm not in High School anymore, however "payed" is spelled "paid". Just saying. Also I won't treat you like a child if you stop acting like one.  You now seem to be offended as if for some reason you are mad about my computer working and yours not. Get over it. It's not who figures it out first that matters. Technically we are all here for the same reason, to get our Alienwares to run OSX and have it run at 100%. So lets get back on topic. I need to update my tutorial and files and as soon as I actually have time on my hands I will update those files. I am at work right now so I don't have the computer with me to grab the new files. If you get Mavericks working make sure when you upgrade to Yosemite that you grab NVIDIA's new Yosemite dmg and extract the kexts with Pacifist. I've been using Kext Installer lately to install kexts. My config files are from http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/ use that choose iMac for the system and generate the config file. Not all iMac config files are the same, but the default generated files don't change. I assure you I didn't change a single thing to that configuration. I will update the tutorial when I can. It won't let me login on this network I am on and I don't want to VPN or Proxy to get access. I will work on it this weekend or earlier if I have some time. Also by this weekend I mean Sunday. Last but not least, don't call me a liar. I never lied to you though I did assume it was you contacting me on Skype(again, sorry about that misunderstanding). Stalkers really irritate me. 

My Specs straight from my bill from Dell:

16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5

Broadcom 4352 Drive

4th Generation Intel®Corei7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Intel®Turbo Boost)

17.3 inch (439.42 mm) WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display

Correcting my spelling.. smh.. and yours "I know if you press "Fn+F5" on mine with will allow me to switch between the dedicated and integrated". It's "witch" not "with" buddy, Just saying. Your far from perfect yourself bud, you seem to have issues forming complete sentences. you want to go on, and on blah blah blah about how childish, and how unproffesional I am  saying you dont want to argue with someone who calls another names. Yet you do just that... lol its almost comical, telling me to get over something like theres something to get over. Your a silly man. You yourself admitted your a liar by accusing me I contacted you, and realizing your mistake in your false claim that you posted your R5 specs. Mad? Why the H.E. double hocky sticks would I be mad Taylor? Im actually happy for you that its working for you, honestly I am. The fact that you admitted that you were wrong. I'll withdraw my Liar statement and just sum it up with you having poor communication skills, (something you more or less admitted to) and a bad memory.  Alzheimer's is a serious problem for some so knowing that. Its all good Taylor. No worries.. we are BBF's! as far as im concerned. WooSaahh! :D

Back on topic. You having full monitor support (with acceleration im assuming) is good to know. Basically, our CPU's dont support 120hz displays. The Fn+F5 option isnt available to the 3D models for this reason. Unfortunately my OSX nerd MOJO isnt strong enough to figure out how to get Yosemite with acceleration support on the 3d montior. Yosimite refuses to boot the monitor even with HDMI plugged in. The only way to boot is without the nvidia kext loaded. Also when booting from the cpu the monitor is left with 2 lines, witch obviously is due from the lack of 120hz support.

I was planning on getting the asus rog g751jy for its 980m but knowing for sure that the alienware 17 R5 can support Yosemite, I may try waiting till Dell updates its card. Thanks for the support you have provided in helping others though. :)

Eh sometimes I do have a pretty bad memory. Also I got stopped at least 15 times by work while writing the last post so yeah it may have sounded a little broken and I may have jumped off topic a few times. I'm not going to comment on the rest. It's seriously an argument over nothing.

Anyways, it seems that issue must be because you cannot disable the GPU. That would be a huge issue for me, because I'm not always hooked to an external monitor. Now that I think about it I did have a few issues with Yosemite trying to boot to an external monitor. If you have the iMac configuration file setup it tries to do an update specifically for iMac. You have to make it ignore those updates. I also had an issue with clover's config file. You have to download and replace the apt. http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3167&view=findpost&p=42084. Or you can download the file here https://github.com/Clover-EFI-Bootloader/clover/blob/master/OsxAptioFixDrv/OsxAptioFix2Drv.c. It wasn't in my clover install. You could probably just update clover or reinstall using a newer version of clover. I had to disable all updates for iMac. Make sure you don't do any Machine specific updates. I've been using Time Machine a few times because I forgot to do that. Anyways hope that is helpful. You may want to be careful of the ROG as well. My friend has it and they disable CPU graphics as well. I do hear it's still a pretty decent machine for a hackintosh though. I'm just picky about them soldiering the GPU to the motherboard. If it breaks I'd rather fix things myself unless I have a warranty.