First Time Installing 10.9 Outside Of Vm Environment
3 3

Question

O.K. Long story short I'm planing on doing a proper wipe of Windows 7 and doing a fresh install of 7, 8.1, and Mavericks 10.9.  System Specs below.  I'm assuming for Mavericks just the .dmg image,  win32diskimager-v0.9-binary.zip, and set the SATA mode to AHCI.  I've already ran win32diskimager-v0.9-binary.zip and have mavericks on my one USB key.  Basically I just want to know what order to install in and if I am missing any steps and or needed utilities. I know it's recommended to install the OS's on separate drives but as you can see from the image below I would rather not. The drive in red is a 300GIG

Mainboard : Asus Maximus Formula

Chipset : Intel X38

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3000 MHz

Physical Memory : 4096  MB  (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM)

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Hard Disk : Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (320GB)

Hard Disk : Seagate ST3500830AS ATA Device (500GB)

Hard Disk : Seagate ST3500830AS ATA Device (500GB)

Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1 ATA Device (1000GB)

Hard Disk : Western Digital WD3000GLFS-01F8U0 ATA Device (300GB)

Hard Disk : Seagate ST315005 41AS (1500GB)

DVD-Rom Drive : Toshiba-Samsung CDDVDW SH-S223Q

Monitor Type : AT240HP - 24 inches

Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Yukon 88E8056 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Yukon 88E8056 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Posted Image

31 answers to this question

that's a lot of your disk size amounts and partitions :D

well, perhaps you should start from windows 7, then windows 8.1, then mavericks 10.9

oh anyway, you've downloaded mavericks.dmg right? and the files which you've downloaded, it contains only mavericks.dmg, or any else inside it the zip. ?

thank you

i downloaded niresh's mavericks 10.9 .dmg, then downloaded win32diskimager-v0.9-binary.zip and ran the Win32DiskImager.exe, selected all files then navigated to themavericks 10.9 .dmg file and selected it then selected write to write it to the flash drive,  i rebooted and got the one apple screen then after that test i rebooted back into windows.

Posted Image

no cause i still have my current win 7 installed.  if i change it now i won't be able to boot into windows.  so it'll have to wait till i'm ready to install everything.

Well actually you can just change them whenever you need to haha. So, have you succeed installing Mavericks?

Well actually you can just change them whenever you need to haha. So, have you succeed installing Mavericks?

from everything i've read yes i can go ahead and resize my windows partition, reboot, change to the ahci mode, install mavericks, but i would have to go to the windows command and change some items in windows to be able to boot back into it. personally i think for me it's just going to be easier to wipe the drive, format the windows 7 and 8.1 partitions, reboot, change to ahci, then install the os's including mavericks in the appropriate order.

from everything i've read yes i can go ahead and resize my windows partition, reboot, change to the ahci mode, install mavericks, but i would have to go to the windows command and change some items in windows to be able to boot back into it. personally i think for me it's just going to be easier to wipe the drive, format the windows 7 and 8.1 partitions, reboot, change to ahci, then install the os's including mavericks in the appropriate order.

if your windows is Updated to latest then you don't need to reinstall windows just change settings from sata to ahci....get your your windows working..

if your windows is Updated to latest then you don't need to reinstall windows just change settings from sata to ahci....get your your windows working..

o.k. for the future that's good to know, however for what i want to do now it's a moot point since i installed win 7 on 3/31/2013 i'm 3 months overdue for a clean install, and i simply want to to a proper wipe of the drive and install of the os's.  while i really do appreciate the information i actually need what i asked in my firts post in this thread. thanks

which kind of steps for dual booting or installing ???

which kind of steps for dual booting or installing ???

i just want to know if what i have on my key will install mavericks, if there is anything special i need to do to install multiple os's to the same drive using mavericks, and lastly the order i need to install the os's in. thanks

Kampfgeist thanks alot, just the simple straighforward answer i was looking for. i still need to know if i'm right on how i put the mavericks files on the flash drive.  thanks

1 person likes this

Use transmac for that....just restore the .iso or .dmg to the usb stick and boot with it.

have a look here and see the part on Transmac.

1 person likes this

i was under the impression that with the above i was all set for installing mavericks.

I'm assuming for Mavericks just the .dmg image,  win32diskimager-v0.9-binary.zip, and set the SATA mode to AHCI.  I've already ran win32diskimager-v0.9-binary.zip and have mavericks on my one USB key.

i downloaded niresh's mavericks 10.9 .dmg, then downloaded win32diskimager-v0.9-binary.zip and ran the Win32DiskImager.exe, selected all files then navigated to themavericks 10.9 .dmg file and selected it then selected write to write it to the flash drive,  i rebooted and got the one apple screen then after that test i rebooted back into windows.

Posted Image

i was under the impression that with the above i was all set for installing mavericks.

Yes you can use win32diskimager also. No problem. just restore the image to your USB and you are ready to go. After installing your operating systems boot up with windows and build a custom boot menu.

Yes you can use win32diskimager also. No problem. just restore the image to your USB and you are ready to go. After installing your operating systems boot up with windows and build a custom boot menu.

super cool, thought i was right but just wanted to confirm.  thanks for all the help.  wish me luck.  i'll report back my results.  thanks again

nope, what i've read is correct.  i just restarted went into the bios, switched to ahci mode, saved settings, and was unable to boot back into windows.  so for windows to use achi mode it must be set to it BEFORE windows is installed.

nope, what i've read is correct.  i just restarted went into the bios, switched to ahci mode, saved settings, and was unable to boot back into windows.  so for windows to use achi mode it must be set to it BEFORE windows is installed.

No, you can do it after install also...wait i'll look it up...i forgot how to.

Yep here it is!....i myself used this method and it works!

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?67697-Guide-to-enable-IDE-AHCI-without-reinstalling

No, you can do it after install also...wait i'll look it up...i forgot how to.

Yep here it is!....i myself used this method and it works!

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?67697-Guide-to-enable-IDE-AHCI-without-reinstalling

Kampfgeist i know in windows i can install the driver and the one chipset tool and then reboot and change the setting from ide to ahci and get into windows just fine. Deepak was implying that all you needed to do was simply reboot without installing the files, change the setting and boot right into windows.  i just wanted it clear for anyone following the thread how to do it.  now if you start from a fresh install and you already had ahci enabled then you only need to install the  "intel matrix storage manager" once in windows, cause windows will install the correct driver for ahci during the install of windows.

Kampfgeist i know in windows i can install the driver and the one chipset tool and then reboot and change the setting from ide to ahci and get into windows just fine. Deepak was implying that all you needed to do was simply reboot without installing the files, change the setting and boot right into windows.  i just wanted it clear for anyone following the thread how to do it.  now if you start from a fresh install and you already had ahci enabled then you only need to install the  "intel matrix storage manager" once in windows, cause windows will install the correct driver for ahci during the install of windows.

it's also depend upon your hardwares and  i have never ever reinstall a piece of softwares or drivers when when moving to ide to ahci .thast why i think it will work you with you ..mine windows 8.1 and aslo tried all version of win7 and win8 ...except windows xp all works ..whenever i changed my drives to ahci it shows a new HDD connected

Edited by Niresh

o.k. i'll make this as simple as possible. 1. install win 7 in ide mode2. land on the desktop after install3. do not install the one driver or the intel matrix storage manager for ahci mode4. reboot change the sata ide mode to sata ahci mode5. save settings and exit6. now sit there NOT being able to get back into windows cause windows DOES NOT auto-install the achi driver(s)7. restart, go back to the bios, set ide again, save exit, boot into windows without a problem8. if you have sata ahci mode enabled before installing windows then and only then will windows install the achi driver automatically

Posted Image

what about this:

You Have to Do a Small Step to Restore The Image on Mac but its very simpletype diskutil list on terminal press enterthere you may see a list of disk look out for your usbdisk0 will probably be the root harddiskso if you can find your pendrive thenlook out for the disk number it will be similar like disk0for an example that can be disk3so to restore the dmg on terminal typediskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk3then to restore the imagedd if=/path/to/the/dmg/ of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1mafter typing dd if=(You Can Just Drag and Drop The Image)thats all be very very careful when using dd wrong disk value may cause complete data lossif you realized that you have entered the wrong value while using dd immediately hard reset the computernever use a harddisk for restore you will loose all your datas

I just did same as you but i did not installed mavrickes yet and i have two questions:

1- my touch pad is just make me able to move the mouse but i cannot click with it (so i am using left click button on my laptop), is this mean it will not work after installation and i will have to use the left button ?

2- i don't understand and i don't know when to do the process above which is copied from niresh mavericks download page

my laptop is Sony Vaio C series VPCCA15FG http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vpcca15fg/sku/vpcca15fg_d+e1 , I am watching your post since yesterday in order to found any new information can help me in the process. its first time for me here :D