[Need Help] Niresh Mavericks (Partially) Working on Asus Q550LF
3 3

Recently I installed Niresh 10.9.0 Vanilla 10.10 onto my Asus Q550LF.

The install went smoothly, but some things still do not work.

Working So Far:

Out Of The Box:

• Base System
  • USB Ports
  • Bluetooth
  • Keyboard Mapping
  • Webcam
  • Touchscreen (Single Touch Only)
  • Graphics (Accelerated)

Needs KEXTs/Patched Config:

Not Working So Far (Sorted by Priority):

• [DSDT In Progress] Backlit Keyboard - Works, but can't adjust it. Might be a KEXT issue.
  • Brightness Control - DSDT hell
  • Audio after Sleep (This looks promising)

Not Going To Work:

• WiFi. I use an Intel 7260 card, so this is very unlikely to ever work.
  • nVidia Graphics w/ Optimus Graphics

Output of lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 0a04 (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 0a16 (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 0a0c (rev 09)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 0a03 (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Device 9c31 (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 9c3a (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 9c20 (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9c10 (rev e4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9c14 (rev e4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9c16 (rev e4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9c18 (rev e4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9c43 (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 9c03 (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 9c22 (rev 04)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 9c24 (rev 04)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 0c)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 08b1 (rev 6b)
04:00.0 3D controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0fe3 (rev a1)

I come from the world of Linux, so I am comfortable with the command line. If you can please help fix the majority of the problems, I will be very grateful.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-4500U

GPU 1: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (Integrated)

GPU 2: NVIDIA GT 745M (Dedicated)

Chipset: Unknown (sorry)

WLAN: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (Supports Bluetooth)

LAN:  Realtek RTL-8111 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller

Audio: Realtek ALC668

I will keep this post updated with progress, so that other users may find success with the Q550-LF.

This is my first ever Hackintosh, so please forgive me if I do not give enough information or similar. Ask and I will try my hardest to get that info for you.

6 answers to this question

Praise the lord. I've found a post on the Yosemite install for this notebook. I've been trying to do it myself with no avail. First, I would like to thank you for making this post. I would really appreciate your guidance in helping me install Vanilla Yosemite on this Asus Q550LF. It's a really hard thing to do for me. I have computer experience but NEVER tried to do hackintosh before and I'm lost. I have followed many guides to make USB to "Install OS X Yosemite" on my laptop. My specs are exactly like yours except I removed the cd/optical drive and put an HDD caddie for PNY Optima 240GB SSD. I would like to install a dual boot OSX Yosemite 10.10 with Win8.1 thru Clover (latest version). Also, I want a vanilla install so no need for usb key to boot.

Could you please show me? Any chance I can touch base with you via email?

Hello trance!

This was also my first Hackintosh, so I logged almost everything I did. Before any of this, you're going to want to do some partitioning. Using a partition tool like GParted or similar (use a Ubuntu Live CD), shrink your Windows partition and make room for an OSX partition. I made 200GB of space, but you can make whatever you want. Just make sure it's above 10 GB. Alternatively, you can also use your 320GB drive, but that can be a "shared data" space too. Your call.

You're going to need these things to make a working Hackintosh:

• One 8GB USB drive (OSX Install Disc)
  • One <Any Size> USB drive (File Container)
  • A current Mac computer running OS X Mavericks or Yosemite
  • Terminal Experience
  • A USB Mouse and Keyboard (builtin ones don't work during install)

Preparation (Do all of this on a Mac): 

1. Follow these instructions to create your boot disc with the 8 GB drive. - Use the linked Network driver. You can get FakeSMC from here.
  2. Download all of the above linked KEXTs to your second USB drive. Also, get Kext Wizard. It makes installing KEXTs 100000 times easier.
  3. Download the Clover installer to your second drive.
  4. PATCH YOUR KERNEL! This is by far one of the most important steps. Without this, your system will not boot no matter what you do.

1. On your PC, you're going to need to enter the BIOS. When there, go find the SecureBoot setting. Make sure it is disabled. Save your settings.
  2. Plug in your prepared USB drive (Installer) with the patched kernel. If you did not patch the kernel, go back and do it now.
  3. Spam ESC when your system is booting. Select the USB drive.
  4. Select the USB drive ("Install Mac OS X")  in Clover. If all goes well, you should boot to the Setup screen.
  5. Go up to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility.
  6. Find the partition you made for OS X and format it as "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled, Case-Sensitive)" -- You can also use the case-insensitive version if you want. BE SURE TO FORMAT THE RIGHT DRIVE!
  7. Exit out and start the install.
  8. When prompted, select the hard drive partition you made.
  9. Let OSX install
  10. When it's done, let it reboot.
  11. Boot back into the USB drive (ESC, select USB).
  12. Boot into the Installer again and patch your kernel. The post I linked earlier will explain this.
  13. Reboot back into the USB again.
  14. Now, select the Clover option for your new OS X install. If all goes well, you've successfully installed Mac OS X!

1. The very first thing you want to do once you've booted to the desktop is to swap to your "storage" USB drive.
  2. Install Clover. There are tons of good guides all over the internet. (You may also need to get Clover Configurator)
  3. Copy your FakeSMC to the Clover install. (If you don't see the EFI partition, install/open Clover Configurator and mount the EFI partition)
  4. Install KEXT Wizard. Now, take all of the KEXTs you've downloaded earlier and install them. You should also install the FakeSMC kext. DO NOT INSTALL THE ELAN DRIVER YET! You need to configure that.
  5. Make sure that FakeSMC is in its 10.10 folder. If not, you won't be able to boot without your Installer USB.
  6. Reboot. You should have working networking now!
  7. Go to the ELAN driver thread and read how to configure it. Once that's done, install it using KEXT Wizard. Most everything should work.
  8. Now, the fun part. DSDT. I'll upload my DSDT here soon. You may need to configure it a bit (guides online). Once done, place it in the root of your hard drive with this exact name: `DSDT.aml`
  9. Open Clover Configurator and mount the EFI partition. Navigate to EFI/BOOT/CLOVER. You'll see a config.plist
  10. Using a good PLIST editor, change the KernelPm setting under KernelAndKextPatches. It should be TRUE.

You should have a working base OSX install now. You'll need to make your own changes, but this should get you started.

Keep in mind that when updating, you're going to need to re-install the AppleHDA kext. But otherwise, everything should work.

Battery indicators may be a bit of an issue. See how it works for you. If it doesn't, there's a guide on DSDT patching somewhere. Post back if you have problems or questions.

So I managed to install the OS yesterday. I believe in step 2 post install is where I install the clover bootloader onto the hard drive. But I don't know how to do that . Please point me to a guide that you've used. I ultimately want a "vanilla" bootable OS X Yosemite w/o the USB stick always connected to my laptop. Please help and refer me to a guid for a direct install of the clover bootloader onto the HDD.

Really, just choose the defaults. When you get to the customization screen, you're going to want to select the UEFI option.

PLease help!

I'm attempting to hackintosh my asus q551.

Nvidia Geforve 840m (I'm not expecting this to work)

Intel HD 4400 Graphics (it might be intel HD 4000)

1 TB 5400 rpm HDD (instea of CD Drive)

480 GB SSD (In Primary HD spot)

I have successfully created a boot disk using these instructions with Unibeast instead of the method describedabove. I have patched the kernal and the disk boots into the installer. When running in verbose mode my install appears to freeze up after loading bluetooth. I have tried combinations of these bootflags: -x -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No GraphicsEnabler=Yes CPUs=1. I'm giong to post a picture of where verbose mode stops.

Please help, I'd really love to get Mavericks running, I know that my laptop is slightly different from the Q550, but I think the only difference is the dedicated graphics card, which I don' plan on using. Thank you so much and thanks for making this easy for guys like me!

Screen SHot Of Verbose Mode: