MSI Z87-G45 GAMING and how i did to make it work with Mac OS X and update it to 10.9.5
8 8

Question

Foremost i would like to thank Niresh and all of thoose making this possible, i wanted to give back how i managed to install Mac OS X on my system and update it to 10.9.5.

My Hardware

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING

Graphics card: nVidia GT650 Ti 1GB

Memory: 16Gb 1600 MHz DDR3

Hard drive: Sata 250Gb

CPU: Intel I7 Haswell 3.5GHz

Requisites
  • Network driver for E2200(It's E2205 on motherboard), this i didn't find here and cannot link to it, do a search on google for e2200 Mac OS X kext.
  • 10.9.5 Combo Update, download from here.
  • Chameleon Wizard, download from here (Find the latest, was 4.4.1 when writing this).
Base installation
  • On first boot with Niresh 10.9.0 install DVD or thumbdrive add following as boot parameters.
    xpcm-free -v
  • Before hitting Install make sure you add following kexts under Customize.
    Chipset Drivers (Kexts)/Chipset Drivers/IOATAFamily
  • On first reboot add following parameters to Niresh boot menu.
    GraphicsEnabler=No PciRoot=1 -x
  • On the "How Do You Connect" screen choose "My computer does not connect to the internet", where adding drivers for this later. 
  • On first login in "Safe Boot" edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist under /Extra folder and add following.
    <key>PciRoot</key>
    <string>1</string>
  • Let Permission and Cache rebuilds finish.
  • Install network kext with the Kext Wizard, use the Debug kext.
  • Reboot and system should start as normal.
  • Run the Chameleon Wizard and update kernel to latest(No test versions), update any modules if there are updates.

10.9.5 Combo update

10.9.5 - This one is tricky, updates kernel and renders system useless unless done as below.
  • Run Terminal window and the login as root user by entering following command.
    sudo -i
  • Make a copy of the kernel.
    cp /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel_ok
  • Make a copy of Extensions folder.
    cp -R /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions_ok
  • Install update and upon reboot, insert installation DVD or thumbdrive with following boot parameters.
    xpcm-free -v
  • Go through the first installation step without doing anything, open up Terminal via the menu.
  • Run following commands to restore working kernel and extensions.
    mv /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel_bad
    cp /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel_ok /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel
    mv /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions_bad
    mv /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions_ok /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions
  • Remove DVD and restart system, add following as boot parameters at the Niresh boot screen if needed.
    -x -v -f
  • Use Kext Wizard to repair permissions and rebuild cache.
  • Restart again and you should be up and running.
  • Now you can remove the bad kernel and extensions folder, they are not needed anymore.

Extra fun things to know

Disable .DS_Store files poluting network drives.
  • Open Terminal and run following command.
    defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

Thanks again and i hope someone else have use for how i did.  :D

Update: Thanks to madthinker for pointing out some question marks in this guide, added sections are marked with green above.

Regards

Marcus

3 people like this

11 answers to this question

I have some questions about this process.  In the base installation section you say "install DVD" do you mean the Niresh 10.9 Mavericks?  And if so does it have to be a DVD because I have a thumb drive which I use.  And in the 10.9.5 Update section you again mention a DVD but is this the same DVD as in the first section?  Or the 10.9.5 update burned to DVD.  Can you clarify these things?

Your method works perfectly.  You must have put some serious work into getting these steps down.  I did have to workout some of the steps, but outstanding work.  Below may be just a little clearer for newbies like me.

Requisites
  • Network driver for E2200(It's E2205 on motherboard), this i didn't find here and cannot link to it, do a search on google for e2200 Mac OS X kext.
  • Chameleon Wizard, download from here (Find the latest, was 4.4.1 when writing this).
Base installation
  • On first boot with install DVD (Niresh Mavericks 10.9 on DVD or Thumbdrive) add following as boot parameters.
    xpcm-free -v
  • On the "How Do You Connect" screen choose "My computer does not connect to the internet", where adding drivers for this later. 
  • On first login in "Safe Boot" edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist under /Extra folder and add following.
    <key>PciRoot</key>
    <string>1</string>
  • Run the Chameleon Wizard and update kernel to latest(No test versions), update any modules if there are updates.

10.9.5 Combo update

10.9.5 - This one is tricky, updates kernel and renders system useless unless done as below.
    sudo -i
    cp /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel_ok
    cp -R /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions_ok
  • Install update and upon reboot, insert installation DVD with following boot parameters.
    xpcm-free -v
  • Go through the first installation step without doing anything, open up Terminal via the menu.
    mv /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel_bad
    cp /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel_ok /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/mach_kernel
    mv /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions_bad
    mv /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions_ok /Volumes/NameOf YourSystemVol/System/Library/Extensions
  • Remove DVD and restart system, add following as boot parameters.
    -x -v -f (I didn't have to do this--but I didn't see where I would do this to be honest)
  • Now you can remove the bad kernel and extensions folder, they are not needed anymore.

Extra fun things to know

Your method works perfectly.  You must have put some serious work into getting these steps down.  I did have to workout some of the steps, but outstanding work.  Below may be just a little clearer for newbies like me.

Requisites
Base installation

• On first boot with install DVD (Niresh Mavericks 10.9 on DVD or Thumbdrive) add following as boot parameters.

xpcm-free -v

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

10.9.5 Combo update

sudo -i

• Install update and upon reboot, insert installation DVD with following boot parameters.

xpcm-free -v

• Remove DVD and restart system, add following as boot parameters.

-x -v -f (I didn't have to do this--but I didn't see where I would do this to be honest)

Extra fun things to know

Hi

Thanks for testing, and you are correct a thumbdrive works as well, only had the DVD. :-)

The -x -v -f is right at boot when the niresh boot menu shows, you are right should have clarified that to. :-)

It's the same DVD/Thumbdrive used when installing from scratch.

Thanks for the input, hope it's useful for more people than just me. :-)

Worked for me too, thanks, but I didn't follow it exactly.

I'll post what I did later, just wanted to say a big thanks for now.

In case it's of use to others with a similar setup these are the steps I followed to get 10.9.0 upgraded to 10.9.5 - once again large thanks to this post and also to Macbreaker and of course Niresh.

Basically I’ve ignored the base installation section and used the rest to solve my reboot problem.

My old system : AMD Athlon II X4, ASUS Mobo, Radeon HD5770, SATA II, USB 2.0

Step 1. Downloaded Niresh distro Mavericks 10.9.0 and created USB installation drive (all on Windows).

Step 2. Installed 10.9.0 onto blank HDD using the Macbreaker guide (using the 'amd64' flag and didn't do the 'multibeast' step 6) -

http://www.macbreaker.com/2014/01/install-osx-mavericks-on-pc-with-niresh.html

Step 3. Tried going straight to 10.9.5 via official download and install but of course that didn't work, resulting in what I call the ‘reboot cycle of death' where the system keeps trying to reboot itself without success.

Step 4. Found this post. Repeated Step 2 above.

Step 5. Followed just the combo upgrade section of this post as edited below :

â€¢    Run Terminal window and the login as root user by entering following command.
sudo -i
    â€¢    Make a copy of the kernel.

â€¢    Make a copy of Extensions folder.

â€¢    Install update and upon reboot, insert installation DVD/USB with following boot parameters.
xpcm-free -v (this didn't work for me, 'reboot cycle of death' again, so instead I kicked off a fresh install from the USB drive using the 'amd64' flag again, just to get me to the next step below...)
    â€¢    Go through the first installation step without doing anything, open up Terminal via the menu.
    â€¢    Run following commands to restore working kernel and extensions.

â€¢    Remove/USB DVD and restart system, add following as boot parameters.
-x -v -f (I didn't do this)
    â€¢    Use Kext Wizard to repair permissions and rebuild cache.
    â€¢    Restart again and you should be up and running.
    â€¢    Now you can remove the bad kernel and extensions folder, they are not needed anymore. (not done this yet, mac noob!)

I am now running Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 without any problems (so far) on an old Windows PC. First time Mac user and i'll now use this system for the everyday tasks I was doing on the PC.  I'll report any issues/solutions/hacks in this forum.

Thanks again.

Great help man !!!! Thank you so much. This worked perfect! ( Update to 10.9.5 ) .

I'm running on AMD FX so after installed update used : “amdfx -v“  instead. 

Everything else just as expected. 

First , thanks a lot, I was able to install with no errors while following this guide with the MSI Z87-G55 mobo; however, while installing I forgot to perform the 'Chipset Drivers (Kexts)/Chipset Drivers/IOATAFamily' step.I have'nt detected any problems so far, although I don't really know what to look for.

so my questions are:

1. what is this kext for, and is it still needed if the install went ok?

2. if it is needed, can I install it post mavericks install, or should I start over?

MOBO: MSI Z87-G55

CPU:    i7 3.5 ghz Haswell

GPU:    MSI GeForce GTX 760

Mem:    Patriot 2x4 gb 1600 MHz DDR3

HD:       Samsung Evo 120 GB SATA SSD

Are these steps required only if you have a Haswell CPU? I have an older C2Duo box with am E4500 CPU and on P5K-VM box using Niresh. Currently OS X is at 10.9.4 and wanted to determine if these series of streps are required for this older CPU or not.

I followed these steps, including making copies of the mach_kernel and Extensions and up to applying the combo patch and rebooting. However when I tried to use the xpcm-free -v the system complained about the xpcm-free as not being valid. I tried several times and eventually just used the -v option. When I booted up the About This Mac is still showing 10.9.4. rather than 10.9.5! 

Hey guys,

I have the same motherboard (running haswell i7 cpu).

This is embarrassing, but I cannot get even get my usb to boot. I am using Niresh 10.10.1.

Do you guys mind sharing your BIOS settings for those who mae it work?

I followed the guide to create a bootable USB. I have ensured my SATA settings were set to AHCI and changed my boot priotity. When my computer boots, I just get a blinking command line cursor.

Thank you in advance!