Changing default kext for Ethernet
2 2

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a slight problem with my Ethernet. It works but occasionally drops out and I need to reboot.

Currently it is running on the realtek 81xx next but I have installed the realtek 8111 kext which I believe is the right one. Motherboard is GA-Z87-HD3

How can I get the correct kext to load at startup?

Also, is there a fix for the Ethernet needing a reboot, I remember having the same issue in Linux where if a cable was unplugged the system needed restarting to find the network. Is there a way to make os x automatically reconnect like windows does?

Im facing the same problem, same etherenet card i guess, my motherboard is, Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Rev.3, ehternet works, well unless my internet connection for some reason drops (this happens all the time with my shitty internet provider), so in windows this is no problem since i just turn off my modem to get internet again, but in osx if i do this even if in the modem the DSL light is on and working, osx just don´t work with the ethernet unless i reboot the system, anyone with any idea maybe?, i checked the kext and actually change it but i noticed that is the same version than before so not idea which kext should i use.

When you installed the Realtek81x kext in S/L/E how did you install it? Which version of OS X are you running? Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite?

Hi IonGeneral, well, i installed the kext in 2 ways and nothing, first i tried downloading the kext and install it with kext wizard and then repairing permissions and rebuild cache, with no result, always the same, also i tried to install with Linx2Mac, but still nothing changed, in every try i reboot the hackintosh, but no luck, im using Mavericks 10.9.5.

Thanks in advance!

@Josue Orozco try this way. - Use Kext Wizard to install the RealtekRTL8111.kext directly into System/Library/Extensions. Then Find IONetworkingFamily.kext. Open it's contents and place a copy of "PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext" directly into "SystemLibraryExtensionsIONetworkingFamily.kextContentsPlugIns".