[How to] Install Niresh Mavericks 10.9.5 from Scratch on HP Pavilion DV7 4077cl
2 2

Hello, fellows. Today I am going to show you how to (or how I) install Mavericks 10.9.5 on a HP Pavilion DV7 4077cl...

Here are the specifications (This could work for another HP Pavilion with similar specs):

Portwell (Not much details about it, since anyways I didn't use DSDT and it's working great).

Intel Core i3 350M L3: 3M 2.26GHz (Dual-Core with multithread)

8GB (Upgraded from 4GB, which should be totally fine)

This HP has two Graphic cards. The one integrated in the processor (Intel HD Graphics, the one I'm using with my hackintosh, working 100%), and ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 (Actually some people claim it works full. I have not tested it myself, since my BIOS has lack of options and I can't choose whether to disable the integrated graphics or not).

Not worth talking about. It does not work. Luckily for me, I had a USB Wi-Fi card that I had bought in eBay for someone, which never picked it up, so I am using it and works perfect. The USB is Ralink RT5370 (Around 7 bucks ;)).

NOTE: I do not give credit to myself for anything here. All the credits go to Niresh, and the authors/developers of all the guides/softwares that I refer to through the process. this is just showing you the steps on how to do it to make it easier and to make almost 24 hours of research into just 1 hour or 2...

With this info we should be ready to start.

What we will need:

- HP Pavilion DV7 4077cl (Or very similar), with windows already installed. 

- Download the Niresh Mavericks 10.9 DMG File (You can find it in this website).

- At least a 6GB USB Flash drive.

- Multibeast (last version for Mavericks). - Optional

- Enough Hard Drive Space to Install Mevericks (10GB is enough, but I recommend at least 20GB).

Note: If there's anything you can't find just google it with it's proper name. I am not giving you any outside links in case it's not allowed in this forums, but I will provide you the proper information you need to find it.

1. Write the DMG to the Flash Drive.

As the title of the step states, we need to write the installation file into the flash drive. For that we will need to download Win32 Disk Imager. Just google the name and you'll eventually find it. Once you have downloaded and installed it, you open it and it have a super easy interface. Select your DMG file and select "Write".

Once it finished writing, we're good to go.

2. Actually begin the installation.

Note: I am assuming that you have the hard drive ready for installation. You have chose your partition in your disk, or you have an extra Hard drive. If your extra Hard Drive is 1TB+, you'll need to partition it. Mavericks won't install on Hard Drives larger than 1TB.

Note 2: This step here would require some tweaking to do in the Bios, which lacks a lot of options. Luckily for us, these options are exactly as they need to be already, so there's nothing we need to do in the Bios.

IMPORTANT: It is recommended that through this step, any extra USB and unneeded devices are disconnected from your computer. It reduces the chances of errors through installation. (It's fine if you're using a USB mouse).

Let's begin the installation.

The first thing we need to do is reboot our computer, with the USB connected. When the HP Logo appears, quickly press the 'esc' key. You'll be redirected to a black screen with some options. Here, you should press the 'F9' key, which is the boot options. Afterwards, you should see the name of your flash drive in these options, select it.

After you have successfully done the selection, you'll be prompted to the Niresh boot screen. Here you'll have to write the following boot flag "cpus=1", without the quotes, then press enter. You should successfully see the spinning wheel and your installation boot fine. IMPORTANT: It is probable to you will see a distorted black screen with sort of white dots after it boots, that is totally normal, just wait and it will show you into the Language selection screen.

After you have selected your preferred language, you'll see that here you'll have to select the Hard Drive you want to install Mavericks in. In the tabs (up), click on Utilities-> Disk Utilities... In there you should see all your hard drives. Select the partition in which you'd like to install. After that, go to the Erase tab (Inside disk utilities), and choose the format MAC OS Extended (Journaled), give a name to your drive, click erase.

Done! After that, close the disk utilities and select the partition you just formatted. Normally here you'd click customize, to select the kext or drivers you'd like to install. I sort of skipped this through my installation (Didn't pay much attention). But you have! So, once you've selected your drive click customize. In this screen, deselect everything that has to do with graphics, close, and begin the installation.

Congratulations! You have successfully installed Mavericks 10.9 on your computer...

3. Fix a grey screen to be able to boot (Important).

After you're done with the installation, boot into windows. How do you do that you ask? Once you reboot, you will see a bar going down. (This is called the Chamaleon boot loader). Press any key before it finishes, and select the Drive where you have Windows installed.

After you have successfully booted into windows, you'll need to access you Mac OS X partition. Windows normally won't allow that, but there are some softwares that will do the job. I used MacDrive (Google it and you'll find it). Install it, probably 5 days trial, like I did. Don't worry, 5 days is more than enough for what we'll do with it.

Go to your PC, where your Drives are, in Windows. You'll see your Mac OS X Partition there. Access it. Go to System/Library/Extensions, once you're there, you'll see many folders with .kext, .bundle. and .plugin extensions. You'll need to delete the following:

AppleIntelHD3xxx .kext

AppleIntelHD3xxx .bundle

AppleIntelHD4xxx .kext

AppleIntelHD4xxx .bundle

AppleIntelHD5xxx .kext

AppleIntelHD5xxx .bundle

Also, where x is any number from 1-9;

AMDRadeonXxxxx.kext and .bundle

ATIRadeonXxxxx.kext .plugin .bundle

Also, where * is anything (a-z, 1-9);

GeForce*.kext .bundle .plugin

This is a good chance to download anything you need, since you MAC OS x does not have internet, yet. You could download your USB's Wi-Fi Driver (For MAC) if you have one.

4. Setup you hackintosh.

Here we reboot again. We will still have to press a key when the bar is going down in the boot loader, since we will still need to use the boot flag "cpus=1".

Once we have successfully booted, we will now be prompted to the setup screen. Set up your machine, and, where you need to set up you internet, select that your machine does not use internet, or, if you will use an ethernet connection, just connect it and have internet.

Once you're done, You'll see notifications saying that Niresh is installing permissions and drivers... Let it finish. At this point, you should get internet, either by using Ethernet or a USB Wi-Fi.

*If needed, you use Multibeast here to install extra kext, although, is not necessary for us.*

5. Fixing the cpus=1.

Now, we need to get rid of the cpus=1 flag, since it only allows your hackintosh to use 1 core and and it's annoying.

Google; Lapic Kernel Patch. Install it and we're good to go.

6. Enabling Graphics Accelerator.

For this, google "Intel HD Graphics", and click the link that says [GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI...

Note: You follow that guide as you are using the LVDS connector and it will work. The frame buffer I chose was; DualLink/Normal/LCD+VGA/LW1. You can also follow the extras to enable brightness.

7. Update to 10.9.5

By this point, you should have everything working near perfection, so it's time to update to 10.9.5. And for that I will refer you to this guide from this very same forums;

NOTE: This is the guide I used to upgrade to 10.9.5. So far, so good. Just ignore the flags he's using to boot. Thankfully we don't need any flags to boot anymore.

NOTE 2: If after the upgrade you notice you can't boot due to a gray distorted screen, follow the step No. 3 of this tutorial, and you should boot normal again.

NOTE 3: If what it says in the note 2 happened, you'll need to install the kext from the guide on how to enable full graphics (step 6), again. But this time install the 10.9 kext and, afterwards, install the 10.9.5 kext of that guide.

NOTE 4: If you have two dysfunctional USB ports after the update or installation of some kexts, delete AppleHPET.kext from /System/Library/Extensions. (I'm not the author of this fix either).

8. Thank the authors that made this possible!!

Niresh & others!

9. Enjoy you hackintosh!

If I forgot anything, you have questions, just let me know and I will see how I can help. :D

2 people like this

3 answers to this question

Hello ,

Generally you can also backup graphics kexts while installation options means don't need to delete through windows and also you have deleted some others kexts with are not of graphics will definitely cause a problem while it need to use ..how can you determine its graphics ?? I have already written so many post , which shows how could you do it .. But it's

It's a nice attempt

Thank you

Enjoy hacking :)

1 person likes this

Hello, thanks for your comment! I actually saw a tutorial that Niresh did on how to do this (fix the grey/black screen) through the boot options, it also backup all these kexts that has to do with graphics. The thing is, that method only worked once for me, so, instead of doing that again I logged into windows and deleted the kexts that were backed up with Niresh's method, in a folder named "Graphics-kext", inside of the backup folder. Also, inside the graphics'  folder, there were three folders, ATI, Intel and Nvidia. So, since Niresh's method only worked once (at least for me), I manually deleted the kexts that were moved from the extensions folder to the backup folder, because, whenever I installed these kexts, my computer would produce a grey screen and apparently when I updated to 10.9.5, these kexts where reinstalled, so I had to once again boot into windows and manually delete these files. My laptop has been working fine without any of these kexts, and, I assume it will for other 4077cl's owners.

Could you please post the details of the kext they should NOT delete so I can update the guide. Also, I don't know what your method is to remove these files, but I know one but it involves writing all the names of the kext so it's just easier to boot into windows and just plain delete them.

whee can i find the dmg?

i only have windows machine.. 

if i search i only have ipb extentions...

gr edensan