Michael Fletcher

My Installation Experience, Tips Wanted

Hi there,

I'm looking to get some help with installing Yosemite on my computer. I am kinda new to installing Hackintoshes. I have made several attempts in the past, some with luck and other times not so much. My last attempt was with Mavericks with this same computer, and it would install and boot up the first time, but after that I was never able to boot into it again after the first restart. I honestly couldn't tell you the various Boot-Flags I had to use to get it to work right, but now after reading about "Yosemite Zone" it has sparked my passion again to try and get this hackintosh installation working, but this time I figured I would ask for help rather than just googling each problem. I wanted to actually put Yosemite on it's own hard drive bringing me up to 3 hard drives inside my computer (One being windows and the other a data master drive where I house all my information, programs, media etc), but if this is not an easier route I am fine with partitioning a current hard drive. I planned on getting started late tomorrow, as to give me time to read any responses I get back from this community and complete prior engagements, I have a family of 2 soon to be 3 so I can get pretty busy, so I apologize now if I take a while to response or read your replies. Below I have listed my computer hardware specs, I really look forward to hear your responses and hopefully have a stable, working hackintosh.

Thank you in advance!

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155

Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

Storage: 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8111E

Audio: Realtek ALC892

Edit 1: So far I can see that my graphics card and my motherboard are the only things that might/should have issues due to the following posts:

Graphics Card: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/109311-msi-gtx-670-not-working.html

GTX 6xx Series not booting (possibly setting memory allocation to "auto" may fix this issue)

Motherboard: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/90485-asrock-z77-pro4-will-work.html

Power Management Issue it seems, I can't find a link to a modified bios as they all lead to no where. Maybe I'll have better luck finding a patched appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext.

Edit 2: I have some extra freetime tonight, Maybe about 2 -3 hours so I am getting started ahead of time using the Yosemite Zone DMG and guide. The link is located at the bottom of this edit. I'm downloading the DMG as I type this, ETA to finish 15 - 20 minutes. Wish me Luck!

Edit 3: Download has finished, Restoring the DMG with TransMac. After this is done, I will be updating from my iPhone after this, so I can get started with configuring my BIOS and installing Yosemite. I am using an extra 2TB hard drive for Mac. I do understand that Mac will not work with over 1TB, I will partition the hard drive into two 1TB partitions. Perhaps using the other 1TB for extra storage but we will see if it is stable first before I decide. I have my graphics card connected through DVI to prevent errors with HDMI.

Edit 4: Yosemite is installing right now, having a few graphical glitches (I'm hoping they will be resolved post-installation) other than that no issues so far. Installation will be complete in ~14 minutes. Sorry for the change in formatting, updated to fix.

Edit 5: Well after the initial reboot I ran into the Monitor Turn Off Issue, I will have to reinstall. Taking a quote out of the guide: "Monitor Turn Off Issue to resolve it ReInstall Yosemite with all the Backup Graphics Extensions package selected". I feel this will be better than the other solution listed in the guide. I'm going to re-install with all Backup Graphics Extensions package selected. After that I'm going to be headed off to bed, starting fresh tomorrow. I will update this post tomorrow with the results. Good Night everyone!

Edit 6: Good Afternoon! After a bit of trial and error and a few re-installs last night, I haven't made much progress towards a stable build. I am now re-installing with "GraphicsEnabler=No" and all Backup Graphics Extensions. I am able to boot into Mac and Windows with no issues now. The bugs I'm encountering are: Graphical Errors Lack of Ethernet support (I don't have a WiFi card/dongle) so no internet General lag everywhere (which I do believe is from the graphical issues)

I haven't checked on anything performance wise like if my CPU is constantly running at max or anything. I have gotten a tip thank to HackinDoge: "For the motherboard, enable AsusAICPUPM in Clover". Unfortunately I cannot not get Clover to boot without the use of the thumb drive . If I use clover I get the error "boot0ss: error". I'm going to let this re-install finish with Chameleon as my boot loader. Afterwards I will multi-beast as I do worry the graphical error will wear down my graphics card quick. I'm going to take a break for a while, hang out with the family for a while Will update later tonight

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet