Can't Boot Yosemite without Unibeast USB Key
2 2

Question

Hello,
Herein lies my problem.
I have a Dell Inspiron One 2310 All in One Computer with all standard spec’s Apart from a replacement 1 TB HDD and 8 GB DDR3 Ram rather than the 4 GB that it originally came with.
I have successfully ran most versions of OSX 86 Hackintosh and they all booted well through my MBR using EasyBcd, right up to Mavericks 10.9.5 using Unibeast with MBR Fix & Multibeast to install and do post install fixes.

I took the jump to upgrade from a perfectly solid working install of OSX86 10.9.5 Mavericks to a 8GB Unibeast USB install of 10.10.1 Yosemite.
I can boot easily into Yosemite while booting from the Unibeast USB key but when I try to boot direct from MBR (EasyBcd) without the USB I get "Can't find mach_kernel".
I think "mach_kernel" ended from 10.9.5 onward and so, in Yosemite it is called simply "kernel" and so why would my system at boot be looking for mach_kernel.
  I triple boot Windows 7, Ubuntu 14.04 and OSX86 using EasyBCD as my boot manager and have never had a problem like this with any other version of Hackintosh going right back through several versions.
When trying to boot to hdd direct I get "Can't find mach_kernel" and it shows as boot version "Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC4 r684. Build date :2009-12-10 22:56:28."
When booting cleanly via Unibeast USB Pen Drive it shows the boot loader to be “Darwin/ x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.2svn r2463 Build date: 2014-11-02 12:50:25”
I’ve tried installing the latest Chimera 4.0.1 and the latest Chameleon 2.3 svn into my Yosemite install and still failed to boot.
 I have also attempted to cold boot into Yosemite via Grub 2 loader in my Linux Ubuntu 14.04 install and it posts the same Fail message namely "Can't find mach_kernel".
  Thinking I may have a busted MBR, I booted to my Windows 7 install disc and then via repair/terminal I ran the commands “Bootrec /FixBoot”, “Bootrec /FixMBR" & Bootrec /RebuildBCD and I've also tried deleting and re-installed all my three boot entries in EasyBcd.
When I access my Windows 7 partition from Yosemite desktop and look in a file called ”bootmgr” I see “Last login: Tue Dec  9 21:02:16 on ttys000
Jims-Mac-Pro:~ jimbrown$ /Volumes/Windows 7/bootmgr ; exit;
-bash: /Volumes/Windows 7/bootmgr: cannot execute binary file
logout [Process completed]” Then same message in a file called “BOOTNXT” 

Where to go, what to try next?
Any and all help will be very much appreciated.
Thank You in Advance.
Jim.

6 answers to this question

Hello,
Herein lies my problem.
I have a Dell Inspiron One 2310 All in One Computer with all standard spec’s Apart from a replacement 1 TB HDD and 8 GB DDR3 Ram rather than the 4 GB that it originally came with.
I have successfully ran most versions of OSX 86 Hackintosh and they all booted well through my MBR using EasyBcd, right up to Mavericks 10.9.5 using Unibeast with MBR Fix & Multibeast to install and do post install fixes.

I took the jump to upgrade from a perfectly solid working install of OSX86 10.9.5 Mavericks to a 8GB Unibeast USB install of 10.10.1 Yosemite.
I can boot easily into Yosemite while booting from the Unibeast USB key but when I try to boot direct from MBR (EasyBcd) without the USB I get "Can't find mach_kernel".
I think "mach_kernel" ended from 10.9.5 onward and so, in Yosemite it is called simply "kernel" and so why would my system at boot be looking for mach_kernel.
  I triple boot Windows 7, Ubuntu 14.04 and OSX86 using EasyBCD as my boot manager and have never had a problem like this with any other version of Hackintosh going right back through several versions.
When trying to boot to hdd direct I get "Can't find mach_kernel" and it shows as boot version "Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC4 r684. Build date :2009-12-10 22:56:28."
When booting cleanly via Unibeast USB Pen Drive it shows the boot loader to be “Darwin/ x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.2svn r2463 Build date: 2014-11-02 12:50:25”
I’ve tried installing the latest Chimera 4.0.1 and the latest Chameleon 2.3 svn into my Yosemite install and still failed to boot.
 I have also attempted to cold boot into Yosemite via Grub 2 loader in my Linux Ubuntu 14.04 install and it posts the same Fail message namely "Can't find mach_kernel".
  Thinking I may have a busted MBR, I booted to my Windows 7 install disc and then via repair/terminal I ran the commands “Bootrec /FixBoot”, “Bootrec /FixMBR" & Bootrec /RebuildBCD and I've also tried deleting and re-installed all my three boot entries in EasyBcd.
When I access my Windows 7 partition from Yosemite desktop and look in a file called ”bootmgr” I see “Last login: Tue Dec  9 21:02:16 on ttys000
Jims-Mac-Pro:~ jimbrown$ /Volumes/Windows 7/bootmgr ; exit;
-bash: /Volumes/Windows 7/bootmgr: cannot execute binary file
logout [Process completed]” Then same message in a file called “BOOTNXT” 

Where to go, what to try next?
Any and all help will be very much appreciated.
Thank You in Advance.
Jim.

Nobody volunteering to offer help with this?

I have similar setup on my laptop. I used Yosemite Zone installer, same issue. Hackintosh boots only with usb.
Chameleon, which is installed on MBR can boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu for me though.

I tried to set flag SystemLibraryKernelskernel file, but that causes restart of machine after few seconds of loading.

I have similar setup on my laptop. I used Yosemite Zone installer, same issue. Hackintosh boots only with usb.

Chameleon, which is installed on MBR can boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu for me though.

I tried to set flag SystemLibraryKernelskernel file, but that causes restart of machine after few seconds of loading.

Hello hcs89,

Here is what fixed it for me.

www.google.com.au/search?q=Fixing+the+notorious+boot0:+error&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=QiW3VKn0Coa7mQX-uYCICg

Go to the web link, check it out, follow the instructions (I printed the instructions to make it easier) and let me know how you go with it.

Regards

Jim.

Hello hcs89,

Here is what fixed it for me.

www.google.com.au/search?q=Fixing+the+notorious+boot0:+error&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=QiW3VKn0Coa7mQX-uYCICg

Go to the web link, check it out, follow the instructions (I printed the instructions to make it easier) and let me know how you go with it.

Regards

Jim.

Hi!

Thanks for reply!

One question before trying this method: since I have Chameleon installed, is it safe to dd that boot1h file from Chimera installer anyway? Can it make things worse (like preventing me from booting Windows 7 on HDD, or Hackintosh with USB stick)?

(I checked Chameleon installer with Unpkg, but it has no usr/standalone/i386/boot1h file)

Hi!

Thanks for reply!

One question before trying this method: since I have Chameleon installed, is it safe to dd that boot1h file from Chimera installer anyway? Can it make things worse (like preventing me from booting Windows 7 on HDD, or Hackintosh with USB stick)?

(I checked Chameleon installer with Unpkg, but it has no usr/standalone/i386/boot1h file)

If you go to the web link and print the instructions, it clearly states to "download the CHIMERA bootloader" from TonyMac and run "Unpkg" on that to pull out the boot1h file from CHIMERA not Chameleon.

I triple boot Yosemite, Windows 7 and Linux Ubuntu 14.04 and I use Easy Bcd as a bootloader for the three OS's.

Whatever you do, you must pay attention to the instructions religiously but if you do make a small error it will not prevent you from booting to hackintosh from your install USB. 

If you go to the web link and print the instructions, it clearly states to "download the CHIMERA bootloader" from TonyMac and run "Unpkg" on that to pull out the boot1h file from CHIMERA not Chameleon.

I triple boot Yosemite, Windows 7 and Linux Ubuntu 14.04 and I use Easy Bcd as a bootloader for the three OS's.

Whatever you do, you must pay attention to the instructions religiously but if you do make a small error it will not prevent you from booting to hackintosh from your install USB. 

Sorry for not being clear enough.

I know that. I found that file in Chimera installer.

My question is: can I dd that boot1h file from Chimera installer even though I have Chameleon installed on HDD? Wouln't that mess up existing Chameleon bootloader (or whole Hackintosh installation)?

Or should I try to remove Chameleon and install Chimera first, and then proceed to this fix if needed?