[GUIDE] Updating to Yosemite 10.10.1 for custom kernel users
5 5

Question

Hello,

This is my first topic here, so I hope it follows all the rules. I'm using an AMD FX 6300 with the /amd1 kernel.

Notice: This guide is now obsolete, although it can be still useful if you wanna replace a kernel by hand. Download the new Yosemite here: http://www.hackintosh.zone/file/560-hackintosh-os-x-yosemite-zone-10101/

A warning
Before you proceed following this guide be warned that I am not responsible for any damages to you or your hackintosh installation.

What you need

The guide

• Copy your current kernel to "/Users/kernel". This can be done using the following command in Terminal (you have to enter your password when executing this command):
    sudo cp /System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Users/kernel
  • Take note of your volume name (you can use Disk Utility for this). The name of my partition is "Yosemite"
  • Download the Yosemite 10.10.1 Update package and open "OSXUpd10.10.1.pkg".
  • Follow all the installation steps and finish the installation by pressing "Restart".
  • Instead of booting from your hard drive, boot from the installation disk.
  • Enter the correct startup options for your processor (for example /amd if you're using an AMD processor).
  • After the setup started correctly, select your language and after that use "Utilities -> Terminal" to open the terminal.
  • Copy the kernel you saved in /Users to your /System/Library/Kernels directory, you can use the following command for this:
    cp -f /Volumes/"Yosemite"/Users/kernel /Volumes/"Yosemite"/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

Make sure to replace "Yosemite" with your volume name.
  • After this run the following commands (still replacing "Yosemite" with your volume name):
    rm -rf  /Volumes/"Yosemite"/System/Library/Caches
    kextcache -u  /Volumes/"Yosemite"
  • Restart your system, removing the installation disk.
  • After you restarted, you have to follow a small wizard and after that you installed Yosemite 10.10.1!
    Image%202014-12-14%20at%205.44.05%20pm.p

Hopefully this is useful for some of you,

Mr. eXoDia

10 answers to this question

I had a weird problem trying this. 

I backup the kernel, then download the update package, installed it, restart, and then with the bootable USB enter to the terminal and when I tried to move the kernel the terminal told me that there wasn't such file or directory, that "/Volumes/"the name of my volume"/Users/Kernel" didn't exist, I looked up for a mistake, the name or some character but there were fine, and it was weird because Ive already installed another kernel with the previous disto and I did it correctly, so, I restarted from another partition with mavericks and when I looked up for the Yosemite volumen I could see that it was empty, without any file in it and the space was only like 400 MB.

I don't know but is like the update package deleted my Yosemite partition or something was wrong. 

I will wait for the updated distro that I think Niresh is updating soon. 

Thanks for your guide, maybe I did something wrong or it was just a particular case. 

Thank you for the guide, but i have a problem, after update finder, safari, app store and a lot of app crash when the system start and is not possible open this app.

Can I fix this issues?

Sorry for my bad Englis but i'm Italian.

I cannot fix these issues. They are all Apple's fault.

yeah but all of hes apps crash lol,not several

yeah but all of hes apps crash lol,not several

Could be, but Apple created the update. The kernel was patched by Niresh. Restore your backup :)

Should i use your method or wait for official niresh release of update?Will be there eny difference?

talking about this

bnHjZWd.png?1

Hello,

This is my first topic here, so I hope it follows all the rules. I'm using an AMD FX 6300 with the /amd1 kernel.

Notice: This guide is now obsolete, although it can be still useful if you wanna replace a kernel by hand. Download the new Yosemite here: http://www.hackintosh.zone/file/560-hackintosh-os-x-yosemite-zone-10101/

A warning

Before you proceed following this guide be warned that I am not responsible for any damages to you or your hackintosh installation.

What you need

The guide

• Copy your current kernel to "/Users/kernel". This can be done using the following command in Terminal (you have to enter your password when executing this command):

sudo cp /System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Users/kernel
  • Take note of your volume name (you can use Disk Utility for this). The name of my partition is "Yosemite"
  • Download the Yosemite 10.10.1 Update package and open "OSXUpd10.10.1.pkg".
  • Follow all the installation steps and finish the installation by pressing "Restart".
  • Instead of booting from your hard drive, boot from the installation disk.
  • Enter the correct startup options for your processor (for example /amd if you're using an AMD processor).
  • After the setup started correctly, select your language and after that use "Utilities -> Terminal" to open the terminal.
  • Copy the kernel you saved in /Users to your /System/Library/Kernels directory, you can use the following command for this:

cp -f /Volumes/"Yosemite"/Users/kernel /Volumes/"Yosemite"/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

Make sure to replace "Yosemite" with your volume name.
  • After this run the following commands (still replacing "Yosemite" with your volume name):

rm -rf  /Volumes/"Yosemite"/System/Library/Caches
    kextcache -u  /Volumes/"Yosemite"
  • Restart your system, removing the installation disk.
  • After you restarted, you have to follow a small wizard and after that you installed Yosemite 10.10.1!

Image%202014-12-14%20at%205.44.05%20pm.p

Hopefully this is useful for some of you,

Mr. eXoDia

@mrexodia

I noticed your system specs(processor &gpu) are similar to mine i'm trying to dual boot win 7 & yosemite 10.10.1 on different hdd but yosemite won't boot from hdd without the usb installer you happen to know a fix or whats going on??

Update: Kernel Panic with 10.10.2

I'm using the /hp kernel, I followed through on the instructions successfully, minus the fact this is for 10.10.1 and I'm attempting with 10.10.2

Panic is immediately after VMSubSwapsystem, or something like that (usually 1/4th of the typical boot cycle for my hackbook)

specs below