Install freezes on VirtualBox 4.3 (linux)
1 1

Question

Tried on 2 different machines running Linux (ubuntu studio 14.04) and VirtualBox 4.3.10 -- one desktop machine with a i3@3.4GHz cpu, 4GB ram (soon to be upgraded to either 12 or 16 gb) and a laptop with a Core 2 duo@2.8GHz,  also 4GB ram. Pretty much followed the guide at http://www.macbreaker.com/2014/05/os-x-mavericks-in-virtualbox-with-niresh.html

With boot flags -v -x, it hangs with this on the screen for a few minutes:

niresh-hang.png

Then after several minutes the screen goes white, and the mouse "beach ball" stops spinning or responding to mouse movement. From there, i even left it overnight and found it in the same state the next day. (white screen, frozen mouse) Sometimes, it won't go to the white screen but stay on the kernel logs (shown in the screenshot) and the mouse cursor will still spin and respond to mouse movement.

Curious thing is, in both cases i can still ping the IP address which it gets assigned by my DHCP server. So the kernel definitely isn't crashed... but something is going wrong with the installer.

Anyone know what i can do to fix this? I've tried most boot flags that are documented on several web pages, with no different results....

/* EDIT */ Oh, forgot to add - i'm using niresh distro, "mountain lion" 10.8.5, iso filename is "Niresh-OSX-10.8.5.iso"

3 answers to this question

The above screenshot was from my laptop. Here's the one on my desktop machine:

niresh-hang-phobos.png

I also noticed that from the white screen with the frozen mouse cursor, pressing left CTRL key returns me to the kernel logs, with a responsive mouse cursor.

Updated my version of VirtualBox from 4.3.10 to 4.3.20, and also tried in windows 7 on my laptop, all with the exact same results.

UPDATE - I went ahead and downloaded iAtkos instead, it seems to be working just fine.