Prepared USB but won't boot
2 2

Question

Hello, I'm trying to install Yosemite on my laptop.  I had Mavericks and 8.1 dual booting, but my HDD quit on me so I figured I'd update to Yosemite.  After preparing my USB drive it doesn't boot anything at all.  I used Win32 Disk Imager as I had previously to make my Mavericks USB, but it doesn't seem to like that for the Yosemite one.  Could I be missing something really easy?  I downloaded the .dmg file as directed as well.  Hopefully that's enough information to figure out what's going on.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

3 answers to this question

You haven to use a diffrent program called Transmac to restore the image (Yosemite-Zone.dmg) to you flash drive

DL link: http://www.hackintosh.zone/file/545-hackintosh-yosemite-zone-on-pc-with-amd-and-intel-support/

Heres also a link to a video that shows how to do it. I did the same thing you did at first.

http://www.hackintosh.zone/videos/view-25-how-to-restore-yosemite-zone-dmg-to-usb-from-windows-with-trans-mac/#

Thank you so much for your response.  Going through the procedure now.   :)

EDIT:  Tried going through the proper steps, but once I get to restore USB with Image it says failed to write to disk.  I've tried two different USB sticks with the same results.  Not sure what's going on.  Maybe I'll try another computer to see if that fixes the issue.

EDIT 2: Switching PC's seems to have done the trick as far as getting it onto a USB.  About to find out if I can get it to install now :)

EDIT 3: Slow progress lol.  Got it to write to the USB and it does try to boot, but hangs about a 1/4 through the loading bar under the apple logo now.  I'm probably just being impatient though.