Question about DVI - VGA adapter

Hello everyone, new user here.

I recently tried to install the Niresh distribution of Mavericks on my desktop PC, with rather good results - except for the graphics card. When trying to use the nVidia driver, i get a blank screen. When using the default drivers that come with OSX, i get 1024x768 resolution, with no hardware acceleration (stuff flickering everywhere, "launch pad" extremely slow, etc...)

My monitor is an old Samsung that only has a VGA input, no DVI. I'm using a DVI to VGA adapter on my graphics card (geforce 500) to connect a VGA cable to the monitor. After googling around and reading several posts on this site, i strongly suspect this is the cause for the blank screen problem. However, i also remember someone mentioning that a modified/hacked kext might do the trick.

So, my question is: Is there a way to use OSX on this setup with optimal graphics drivers, without having to replace the monitor?

Thanks for any advice...

1 answer to this question

I tried installing both Mountain Lion (iAtkos) and Mavericks (Niresh) on my laptop, a Toshiba Tecra A10. Mavericks froze and rebooted near the end of the install process, but ML completed the installation. Both give me a black screen after installing and trying to boot - even in "safe mode" ie. using -x at boot.