How can I update to 10.10.1 without losing data
1 1

Question

Well I heard about the new 10.10.1 update and its bug fixes but I looked everywhere and it doesn't say how to update correctly from 10.10 to 10.10.1 without losing nothing (Losing data, settings and apps). What method should I use since last time I tried to update using the distro installer, I lost all and it reinstalled using the latest version.

3 answers to this question

I have never lost data while updating, but i have lost kexts in the S/L/E folder, but the solution to that is just to install the necessary kexts after installing the update, another solution is to use and EFI partition for the boot loader and necessary kexts (look it up in google) but this may possibly leave out kexts for the audio. Buy to be sure then OS X has a wonderful backup software the Time Machine that is very easy to use and I urge all to use TM for security sake.

Well is it ok if I reinstall the kexts using EasyBeast since I have a Core 2 processor on my laptop? Other then that, I always boot with -v no other settings that I can lose.

The update is not processor sensitive, if you have been running OS X before then you only have to install the update. Only if you install a complete setup of the operating system and erase/format (clean install) the partition of the hard drive with the operating system will erase the content and files you have in that partition.

If you have a working OS X installed then it is in (almost all cases) easy to upgrade to newer version of OS X simply by installing over the existing install and preserve all software and data, but remember to have a backup of all data for security.

-v boot flag has no practical meaning other than watching the loading of the operation system and enable identification of possible problems while booting so if all is in good shape then you can leave out the -v boot flag.