Yosemite 10.10.1 hangs on grey screen with spinning wheel
3 3

Question

Hello,

My specs are :

CPU : AMD FX 8320

GPU : Sapphire Radeon 280X

MoBo : Asus M5A97 r2.0

I have succesfully installed Niresh's Yosemite Zone on my pc. I had to replace the kernel in /S/L/Kernels because the /amd bootflag didn't work. 

Now I boot with -v and I see this error :

Warning: couldn't block sleep during cache update
Warning: proceeding w/o DiskArb

and it gets past the console all the way to the grey screen. It gets stuck there with the spinning wheel on my mouse. No Apple logo, no loading bar, just a blank grey screen with the spinning wheel.

It boots up in safe mode and I tried reverting some kexts from 10.9.5 but no luck. I reverted AppleACPIPlatform.kext, IOACPIFamily.kext, IONDRVSupport, IOPCIFamily.kext, IOUSBFamily.kext, Corecrypto.kext, Sandbox.kext, System.kext in that order and rebooted every time. Once I got to the System.kext things got too weird with multiple errors (mostly ACPI) so I stopped there.

When installing Mavericks updates I got the same thing. No error message though. Reverting these to an earlier version (10.9.0) worked. But now it doesn't.

Anybody got any ideas?

3 answers to this question

Hello rainmaker,

I saw this when looking up the same two warnings you posted in boldface, and I have completed most of my Hackintosh installation journey, and I believe I can help, so I decided to make an account just for you (Congrats, hopefully 5 days is too late and you've found a solution, but here goes) ☺

This is caused by a graphics error. Have you explored the (1) different graphics boot flags and/OR (2) editing your DSDT and/or (3) patched any Kexts for your graphics card?

The reason safe mode would work is due to it working around the normal graphic environment.

If you have solved this already, which I hope, please post what you believe fixed it, for others to find helpful.

With Unbounding Love, Grace, and Peace,

-Sam L'anteigne

Hello rainmaker,

I saw this when looking up the same two warnings you posted in boldface, and I have completed most of my Hackintosh installation journey, and I believe I can help, so I decided to make an account just for you (Congrats, hopefully 5 days is too late and you've found a solution, but here goes) ☺

This is caused by a graphics error. Have you explored the (1) different graphics boot flags and/OR (2) editing your DSDT and/or (3) patched any Kexts for your graphics card?

The reason safe mode would work is due to it working around the normal graphic environment.

If you have solved this already, which I hope, please post what you believe fixed it, for others to find helpful.

-Sam L'anteigne

Thank you very much Sam,

It was what you say, the graphics card is not supported. Right now I'm pretty much stuck. The Mavericks 10.9.5 kexts worked OOB with only the AtiConfig=Pitcairn flag. And so I tried doing the same with Yosemite, but it does not work. The problem is that pretty much everybody keeps Mavericks, since the differences between these two are very small, so I have no support on the subject. 

There is a funny thing happening though. When I have the Yosemite kexts, OSX boots up in safe mode and the card is recognized as HD 7xxx, which is the same as on Mavericks. With the same kexts, it does not go through the full boot. After removing the kexts it boots up with 7MB graphics. I tried reverting the kexts from Mavericks but it got me kernel panics. And now I am thinking about DSDT editing. Now that I think of it, I had Chameleon installed on Mavericks and now I have Chimera, so I will first try changing the bootloader to the latest Chameleon one. I know that they are almost exactly the same, but this problem happened before when I chose the wrong AtiConfig with Chameleon so I am thinking maybe Chimera doesn't recognize the boot flag.

Thank you again. A beautiful new year for you and best wishes!

Bill Moore

Hello rainmaker,

-Sam L'anteigne

Can you give me some advice on my same exact problem? http://www.hackintosh.zone/forums/topic/7242-hackintosh-zone-amd-build-unable-to-boot-in-normal-mode/

I don't know how to edit DSDT or patch Kexts