[Help] Yosemite Zone on AMD FX 8350 & Sapphire Radeon 7970
5 5

Question

Recently I discovered this site and was extremely pleased to find out that your yosemite zone download is compatible with amd processors, with my first installation attempt everything was bootable. I used multibeast to install my LAN and Wireless Kexts then rebooted and again it was fine. There were a couple things missing so I went through multibeast again and finished things up but I still have a huge issue. The entirety of OSX has tons of graphical glitches, and it's extremely choppy, I'm assuming it's because OSX doesn't recognise my Graphics Card. I'm posting my specs below and if anyone could help me get this working well that would be great as I need to start some IOS development fairly soon and that's limited to OSX only.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0GHz 8 Core

Graphics Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon 7970 GHz Edition

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 rev.1

The information on my motherboard is the following,

Audio: Realtek ALC889 Codec

LAN: Realtek RTL8111E

USB: Etron EJ168

5 answers to this question

If you need it for iOS development, download Mavericks. It is more compatible with AMD hardware. The problem with Yosemite is signed kexts. The OS will not load unsigned kexts from previous versions and they also changed some IO configurations for graphics cards. This means that you need to wait for people to develop new kexts, which will work with Yosemite, almost from scratch.

I have the R9 280x which is almost the same as your 7970 graphics card. The way to tell if you graphics card is enabled is if the top bar on OSX is transparent. If it is white, you have no graphics acceleration. Also, AMD hardware does not work with iCloud and maybe AppStore and iMessage etc. It depends on the CPU and the kernel. So, your best bet would be building an Intel hackintosh or installing Mavericks instead of Yosemite.

Sadly, there is no solution currently for enabling the 7970 chipset on Yosemite.

On Mavericks it will most probably work with bootflags : "AtiConfig=Tahiti GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No"

Also, Gigabyte motherboards usually need the PCIRootUID=1 boot flag. So try that one as well.

Use new kernels and replace appleacpi and iopcifamily....... i had lot of trouble in last days but now i managed to make it works! works both ati radeon 7850 and nvidia gtx 660 ti