ASUS Sabertooth 990FX + AMD FX 8350 + NVIDIA GTX 970 Setup
3 3

Question

So I've been fighting this for awhile, and I've had really really really weird outcomes..

So first time installing, had to install with            /amd -v npci=x2000  to make the installer even work. Rebooted, got a boot0ss: Error - Okay whatever. Reinstall time

Second time installing, same arguments, switched bootloaders to the other one with UEFI and rebooted. Got to try booting into OSX! Had to do the backup of the kexts for the graphics and tada I was at my desktop, with no mouse at all. Crap. The mouse would be literally shut off right after selection of OSX to boot.

Fine, install again, back to original bootloader. We have boot! Except, I forgot to specify npci=x2000 again and so it hung. I reboot with the reset switch and then it won't boot anymore because it can't find the kernel.

Where am I going wrong here? I've followed all the guides? When I had no mouse I had keyboard, but I got to the part of the initial setup after creating the user to tell it if I want to send reports to Apple, and I can't get past that because Tab won't move me off the checkbox anymore there. I also know I have no networking because it couldn't grab a DHCP address...

I'm kind of ripping my hair out? I'm trying on a single hard drive for a quick and dirty setup so I can at least know how to get it functioning ONCE. What should I do or try?

I was browsing newegg for a new motherboard and processor and thinking of just jumping ship to Intel, but I can't find a motherboard with as many USB ports as this one has... I don't want to downgrade considering I just built this machine.

I hope I'm not just screwed for loading up OSX... it works great in vmware haha

18 answers to this question

This place is just mighty dead isn't it? Am I to believe there is just absolutely nothing that can be done and I'm basically screwed? Jeez. I've gone through the installation 10 times now at least. All I end up with is boot0ss: Error and when I boot from the Yosemite-Zone drive, I select my drive with OSX on it and I get that it can't find the kernel.

Nothing? Nobody? No help? I've found 4+ topics on this with NO replies at all...

I have an 8350 fx myself with an asus 990x board.it will only boot to safe mode with ncpi boot flag.I feel your pain.I am using mavericks...it's perfect 

Hi, same Mobo here, if you select Uefi Clover boot loader you must change options in boot 

Clover Options - PCI Devices unselect USB Ownership and USB Injection.

I installed with /amd npci=0x2000 

Hi, same Mobo here, if you select Uefi Clover boot loader you must change options in boot 

Clover Options - PCI Devices unselect USB Ownership and USB Injection.

I installed with /amd npci=0x2000 

So, using the above advice, I got into Yosemite, the install finished, I installed NVIDIA drivers and rebooted. Now it says a box about how I shutdown because of a problem and it can open my apps again, but it just sits there with a spinny wheel. I can't get past it. What do I do here? REALLY confused...

I can't use Chameleon to boot either because it says it can't find /System/Library/Kernels/kernel to boot my system. I tried typing mach_kernel etc etc and nothing works, so I believe I'm stuck with Clover.

Me too, installed with same flag, even with npci=0x3000 it works, but no idea on what flag to select, absolutely.so i try to install myself, complete installation, but no luck at reboot, unable to load any kind of kernel, Always " Can't find AMD, amd64, amdfx", absolutely nothing and no chance to fix it by terminal because it says it can't find /System/Library/Extension/Kernels/kernel, but it's there!!

WTF

Any idea on how to arrive at desktop?

So, using the above advice, I got into Yosemite, the install finished, I installed NVIDIA drivers and rebooted. Now it says a box about how I shutdown because of a problem and it can open my apps again, but it just sits there with a spinny wheel. I can't get past it. What do I do here? REALLY confused...

I can't use Chameleon to boot either because it says it can't find /System/Library/Kernels/kernel to boot my system. I tried typing mach_kernel etc etc and nothing works, so I believe I'm stuck with Clover.

hi,

if you use nvidia driver you must add to boot flag nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 or edit your config.plist in clover configurator to do this.(you should find a guide how to use clover configurator)

Before installing the graphics card drivers yosemite worked well? why you install the nvidia drivers? 

Me too, installed with same flag, even with npci=0x3000 it works, but no idea on what flag to select, absolutely.so i try to install myself, complete installation, but no luck at reboot, unable to load any kind of kernel, Always " Can't find AMD, amd64, amdfx", absolutely nothing and no chance to fix it by terminal because it says it can't find /System/Library/Extension/Kernels/kernel, but it's there!!

WTF

Any idea on how to arrive at desktop?

hi,

what steps do you follow? in the customize menu do you select the right flags? look here 

http://www.hackintosh.zone/page/hackintosh/articles/yosemite-hackintosh-installation-instructions-guide-and-videos-for-amd-amdfx-intel-haswell-hp-laptops-common-pc/

after installation you don´t need any more de flag /amd.

You can use the installer to use terminal after the language selection and copy a new kernel from terminal if you want.

hi,

what steps do you follow? in the customize menu do you select the right flags? look here 

http://www.hackintosh.zone/page/hackintosh/articles/yosemite-hackintosh-installation-instructions-guide-and-videos-for-amd-amdfx-intel-haswell-hp-laptops-common-pc/

after installation you don´t need any more de flag /amd.

You can use the installer to use terminal after the language selection and copy a new kernel from terminal if you want.

Unfortunately i have no idea on what kernel to use and the terminal, with the command cp -f, does not let me copy the kernel i want.

After this, now i'm able to reach the desktop, after i installed enoch on hdd from another mac with the right flag, but the video is full of glitches, artifacts, i don't know how to explain :)

Maybe the problem is the kernel itself

Have no sound, no ethernet, no correct video, no reboot...and no right kernel i think, but it starts

My specs are:

AMD 1090T Phenom II

16gb Ram Corsair Geil

Gigabyte 990XA-UD3

I'm booting from pen drive, because i'm not able to boot from hdd at the moment...any suggestions?I would like to start from kernel

Unfortunately i have no idea on what kernel to use and the terminal, with the command cp -f, does not let me copy the kernel i want.

After this, now i'm able to reach the desktop, after i installed enoch on hdd from another mac with the right flag, but the video is full of glitches, artifacts, i don't know how to explain :)

Maybe the problem is the kernel itself

Have no sound, no ethernet, no correct video, no reboot...and no right kernel i think, but it starts

My specs are:

AMD 1090T Phenom II

16gb Ram Corsair Geil

Gigabyte 990XA-UD3

I'm booting from pen drive, because i'm not able to boot from hdd at the moment...any suggestions?I would like to start from kernel

Maybe kernel, maybe graphics.

To ethernet install all in one solution http://www.hackintosh.zone/file/118-all-in-one-network-solution-wireless-ethernet/

Try to find what is your sound card and search for kexts and install, and the same for graphic card.

Do you install the 10.10.1 version of niresh? i think that /amd kernel is the last kernel. i suggest to try install over again and follow de guide from niresh step by step it works.

Cheers 

I installed Niresh Distro from this site.

I try to copy kernel from terminal rebooting from usb after installation, but won't let me use cp -f command to copy the kernel.

If i try to boot from hdd using /amd, it says can't find amd, or any other, of course because never copied a kernel.....what kernel i've to use and why the command in terminal doesn't work?

No suggestions on what flags to use on installation guide, i made by myself, selecting mac pro 3,1 as SMBIOS, maybe i forget to select evoreboot, this is the reason why i can't reboot.

I installed Niresh Distro from this site.

I try to copy kernel from terminal rebooting from usb after installation, but won't let me use cp -f command to copy the kernel.

If i try to boot from hdd using /amd, it says can't find amd, or any other, of course because never copied a kernel.....what kernel i've to use and why the command in terminal doesn't work?

No suggestions on what flags to use on installation guide, i made by myself, selecting mac pro 3,1 as SMBIOS, maybe i forget to select evoreboot, this is the reason why i can't reboot.

has i said in previous post you don't need /amd after installation. 

Ok, i'm sorry, don't read it before.

Now, how can i boot directly from hdd and not from usb pendrive as i'm doing now?

How to try another kernel?

Update: tried to reinstall completely, now i'm not be able to launch the system from neither from the pendrive....really saaaaaaaaaaaaad,

:(:(:(

I can i repair this??Why now the computer doesn't start from usb too?Can u help me please?

Ok, i'm sorry, don't read it before.

Now, how can i boot directly from hdd and not from usb pendrive as i'm doing now?

How to try another kernel?

Change the settings in bios to boot from hdd first.

The location for kernel is /System/Library/Kernels/kernel, if you want to test another kernel copy the kernel to the / of the hdd and boot with the flag /name_of_kernel.

Maybe you don't uderstand, i know how to boot from hdd, but it doesn't boot because if i load chameleon from HDD it restarts immediately, then i've to load first from pendrive and then select HDD with the right flag.

Update: OK, all the things in the right way, reinstalled completetly, copied AMD kernel from terminal, now the system starts correctly...

I try to install the kext now

No way to get my Gigabyte GTX660 OC to work, any idea on how to solve?

Now i'm trying to install all in one ethernet solution, but i think i'll not have much luck, beacuse ther's no ethernet in my connection after install

Update: Ethernet installed correctly after AIO solution, but no graphic acceleration after install nvida web driver official, any idea on how to solve for GTX 660?

New Update: Got my Nvidia GTX660 working using flag nvda_drv=1, kext-dev-mode=1 and installing web update, but there are 2 little problems.

First is glitching image on desktop and browser, some icons are strange coloured on safari, then the desktop background, that works only if i select the Yosemite Mountain as wallpaper,there are many strange colors as background:D WTF??another problem is that Nvidia Driver manager gives me an error and doesn't start

The second is, Safari that has this strange icon in light blue, and when i try to load facebook for example it restarts continuosly.

Apart from this problem the Mac is working great and the graphic acceleration is superb.

Do you know how to solve these two little problems?

New Update, sorry for the double post, only not to make confusion:

Got everything works, now i can login to App Store and other elated apps, but the big problem with the icons in Launchpad and in Safari still remains.Maybe now it's only a graphic compatibility i think.

Another problem is that i can't login to iCloud, always says me that there'"s a valid Apple ID but can't login to iCloud" when i try to login.

Any suggestions on how to solve this last problem?

Hey, do you have the 990FX R2.0? What I did with mine is I used "/amd GraphicsEnabler=No because I have GTX760 and npci=0x2000". Also, You have to change some settings on your BIOS first "http://www.givemesome.tips/about/hackintosh/nireshs-yosemite-with-intel-amd-installation-instructions-and-guide-160/2/".That's what I can help you out. Let me know if you still need help let me know.

WORKING ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX / AMD FX 8350 / MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 / YOSEMITE 10.10

Not sure if anyone care but this is how I did it. I was on a Mac Laptop when I created the bootloader.

REQUIREMENTS

• 8GB Flash drive
  • Mac (I was on a mac when I created a bootloader. I cant walk you through the steps of the bootloader wizard for PC because I didnt do one.  Sure you can figure this out if you need to.) 

CREATE BOOTLOADER

1. Grab the "Yosemite_Restore.pkg.zip" file and "

Yosemite_10.10_DMG.zip" from HERE

2. Unzip "Yosemite_Restore.pkg.zip"  and extract the "

Restore Yosemite.pkg" file. 

3. Unzip the "

Yosemite_10.10_DMG.zip" file. There should be a torrent file in the extracted folder. Download the torrent. The resulting download will be the "Yosemite-Zone.dmg". 

4. Download "Niresh's All-in-one Ethernet and Wireless Solutions" file from HERE
  5. Create a folder on your desktop called "Hackintosh Files". 
  6. Insert the "

Restore Yosemite.pkg", "Yosemite-Zone.dmg", and "All in One Ethernet Solutions.mpkg" files into your "Hackintosh Files" folder. ALL THESE FILES MUST BE IN FOLDER FOR WIZARD TO WORK.

7. Insert 8GB Flash drive. 
  8. Open disk utility. Navigate to the "erase" tab. Highlight your flash drive on the left. Name the flash drive bootloader. format the drive as extended journaled. 
  9. In your "Hackintosh Files" folder double click on "

Restore Yosemite.pkg". 

10. This will start the "Niresh's Hackintosh Zone bootloader wizard". 
  11. When it asks you for location choose the flash drive you just plugged into your computer. DO NOT CHOOSE YOUR HARD DISK ON THE COMPUTER YOU ARE USING
  12. Click through the rest of the steps of the wizard and if you have included all the correct files in the folder it should be done after about 20-30 minutes depending on how fast your computer is. 

INSTALL YOSEMITE

1. Take the Bootloader Flash drive you have just created and plug it into the target PC that you want to hackintosh. 
  2. Access the system bios by pressing F2 or Enter as the system boots when you turn it on. 
  3. Navigate and click on  "Advanced Mode" located at the bottom left of the bios menu. 
  4. Navigate and click on the "Boot" tab of the "Advanced Mode" Menu 
  5. Disable the Fast Boot option. (first option on list)
  6. Navigate further down to the "Secure Boot" option and press enter. Enable for Other OS. Press Escape to get back to "Advanced Mode" menu.
  7. Navigate down to your flash drive under the "Boot Override" section. 
  8. NOTE This is where you have to go to boot from Flash Drive Every time. 
  9. For reference check out this crazy British guys video. Don't follow the video all the way through but you can get a feel for what im saying with the bios. 
  10. This will bring up a prompt with boot options where you can enter in Kernel Flags. 
  11. Navigate to the option that says "Install MAC OSX YOSEMITE", this is the installer option. Before you press enter to start booting the installer enter these kernel flags found on the next line exactly
  12. /amd64 -v cpus=1 npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 nvda_drv=1 IGPEnabler=No 
  13. Eventually you should see a screen to start installing Yosemite. Before starting the wizard navigate to the toolbar on the top and click on "Disk Utility" 
  14. Go to the "erase" tab of the disk utility and highlight the HDD or SDD on the left sidebar that you want to format for your hackintosh. On the right section name your hackintosh something like "Mac OSX Yosemite". Then click erase. 
  15. Should only take a minute or so then close the disk utility and start the wizard. 
  16. It should ask you what hard drive to use to install Yosemite on. Click on the HDD or SDD with whatever name you gave it in the last step. 
  17. Go through the wizard and after about 30 minutes you should have yosemite installed and your computer should restart. 
  18. Enter the bios, navigate to advanced mode, then navigate to the boot override section and choose your flash drive again. 
  19. You should be back at the bootloader boot options. This time navigate to the HDD or SDD with whaetver name you gave it in the previous step and before pressing enter to start booting enter these Kernel flags on the next line exactly then press enter
  20. -v cpus=1 npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 nvda_drv=1 IGPEnabler=No 
  21. This should eventually boot up yosemite with another wizard except when your done with this wizard your at your desktop! (The graphics are gunna suck balls) 

POST INSTALL 

1. Click on the mounted Hackintosh Zone bootloader usb on your desktop
  2. Open the "All in One Ethernet Solutions.mpkg" file and follow the steps in the wizard. 
  3. After that you will have to restart your computer. 
  4. Enter the bios, navigate to advanced mode, then navigate to the boot override section and choose your flash drive again. 
  5. Navigate to the HDD or SDD with whatever name you gave it in the previous step and before pressing enter to start booting enter these Kernel flags on the next line exactly then press enter
  6. -v cpus=1 npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 nvda_drv=1 IGPEnabler=No 
  7. When you reach your desktop you should now have internet. Go to musashifoods.com in the address bar to make sure the internet is working. 
  8. Once the internet is working you will want to download and install the nvidia driver for your graphics card. Visit this link to get your drivers. Download and install them. You will have to restart for the changes to take effect.
  9. Same stuff go to your bios, advanced mode override section and choose flash drive. 
  10. navigate the the HDD or SDD you named in a step completed a long time ago in a galaxy far far away and before pressing enter type the kernel flags listed below exactly and then press enter. 
  11.  debug=8 ahcidisk=1 dart=0 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 PCIRootUID=1 PCIRootUID=0 msibase=0x90 darkwake=10
  12. You should boot to your desktop with your graphics card enabled. If you just make it to your desktop and the graphics dont look great then you should see the nvidia logo in your top finder bar. Click on it and make sure the NVidia Web Drivers option is selected. 
  13. On the finder bar at the top of the screen click on the "GO" option and then "computer" ->"the HDD or SDD you named in a step completed a long time ago in a galaxy far far away"-->EXTRA-->"org.Chameleon.boot.plist"
  14. At the end of that file where you see a bunch of kernel flags delete them and add these exactly as you see them in the next line
  15. debug=8 ahcidisk=1 dart=0 npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 PCIRootUID=1 PCIRootUID=0 msibase=0x90 darkwake=10
  16. now you can choose the HDD or SDD you named in a step completed a long time ago in a galaxy far far away in the override options instead of the flash drive. 

BUGS

1. If your disk drive keeps opening and closing during initial boot of Yosemite its because your using a SATA3 cable instead of a SATA2 to connect your disk drive to your MOBO
  2. I have not configured a way to boot into Yosemite without the flash drive connected to the PC yet. The USB needs to be plugged into the hackintosh in order to boot 
  3. When your computer enters hibernation or sleep mode while booted in Yosemite once your wake it up all of your USB2 ports will have been disabled. You can get your usb keyboard and mouse working by plugging them into the USB3 ports. I have not figured out a fix for this. What I have done to stop this from happening is gone into. System preferences-->Energy setting. I changed the computer hiberation slider to never and the monitor hibernation setting to 15 minutes. This doesnt let your computer sleep which is not ideal. 

IF YOU WANT TO HELP ME (I KNOW 99% OF YOU WILL NOT)

1. Figure out my USB2.0 is disabled after sleep bug. 

Happy Hacking