Niresh Mavericks on Bay trail, is it possible ?
1 1

Question

Hello,

I want to buy an Asus T100TA transformer with Intel Bay Trail processor (newest ATOM).

Do you thinks it is possible to install Mavericks on it ?

I know Niresh's Mavericks usb image support Atom (with a specific kernel) but i don't know if it supports new Bay Trail Atom...

Sorry for my english faults if there is any, i'm French ;-)

4 answers to this question

To answer your question, possibly. There is no definite answer, it really depends on the hardware that comes along with your bay-trail processor. It might take a bit of tinkering, but the AsusT100 series should be compatible in general.

I'm getting a baytrail tablet today!!! I'll be trying out Niresh's mavericks on it :D I'll let you know how it went.

@neomi

I'm sorry, I completely forgot about this. The answer is no, it does not work. First generation bay trail hardware such as the asus t100 and the tablet I got are accompanied by 32-bit UEFI firmware, and while 64-bit Linux is fine with this, Mac OS X (only 64-bit nowadays) and Windows-64 cannot be convinced to run on such firmware. Not to mention the fact that Gen7 (and by extension, Gen8) Intel HD graphics from the ATOM family of processors are not compatible with OS X, making any attempts at hardware acceleration futile, although this may change in the future. Also, the myriad of ever changing hardware in bay-cherry trail devices makes any drivers created much less likely to be compatible with other devices that may have the same SOC but slightly different internals.