Update Guide - Niresh Mavericks from 10.9.0 to 10.9.5
5 5

Question

Updating Niresh Mavericks from 10.9.0 to 10.9.5

These methods are tested and verified on my AMD Desktop (Asus M5A97, AMD FX 6100 & ATI Radeon HD 6850) and Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop (3rd Gen i3, Intel HD 4000). Both systems now run on 10.9.5.

You can download the Mavericks 10.9.5 Combo Update from this link : http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1760

If you simply run the updater it will remove all the customization done by the Niresh-Mavericks installer.

So first, we need to make sure all our necessary files and kexts are backed up.

Before we proceed, make sure you have the Niresh-Mavericks bootable USB or DVD.

To be on the safe side, I would recommend creating a Time Machine backup, so that you can restore your working version if something goes wrong.

Take a screenshot of Org.chameleon.Boot.plist tab of Chameleon Wizard, just in case if some settings has been disabled by the update.

* Open Terminal from Applications and the login as root user by entering following command.

sudo i

Enter Password.

* Next step is making a copy of the Mavericks kernel. 

To make it easier to understand I'm going to call my Mavericks installed partition as " MAVERICKS "

Change " MAVERICKS " with name of your OSX partition when you enter the commands.

cp /Volumes/MAVERICKS/mach_kernel /Volumes/MAVERICKS/mach_kernel_ok

Please check the spaces after cp and between mach_kernel and /Volumes, it is very important.

* Now we must make a copy of Extensions folder.

cp R /Volumes/MAVERICKS/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/MAVERICKS/System/Library/Extensions_ok

Please check the spaces between cp & R & /Volumes and also between /Extensions & /Volumes

Now that we have backed-up all our settings and kexts, its time to install the Mavericks 10.9.5 Combo Update.

Run update package and the installer will take up to 10 minutes to install all new updates and it will reboot.

Connect your bootable Mavericks USB or DVD and boot into the installer using these flags.

xpcm-free -v

You will be booted into the Install Screen.

Select Continue, and click on Utilities in the toolbar and select Terminal.

Run following commands to restore working kernel and extensions.

* Here we rename the updated kernel.

mv /Volumes/MAVERICKS/mach_kernel /Volumes/MAVERICKS/mach_kernel_bad

* Now we are going to replace it with our working mach_kernel backup file.

cp /Volumes/MAVERICKS/mach_kernel_ok /Volumes/MAVERICKS/mach_kernel

* Now we are renaming the Extensions folder.

mv /Volumes/MAVERICKS/System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/MAVERICKS/System/Library/Extensions_bad

* Now we are going to replace it with our own copy of Extensions

mv /Volumes/MAVERICKS/System/Library/Extensions_ok /Volumes/MAVERICKS/System/Library/Extensions

Type exit, hit Enter and close the Terminal.

Now remove USB/DVD and reboot the system.

Now select your Mavericks installed partition and add the following boot flags if required.

-x -v -f

Enter your account password and login to your desktop.

Open Kext Wizard from the Applications folder.

Use it to Repair Permissions and Rebuild System Caches.

It will take a while to complete. 

After it is done, open Chameleon Wizard and check whether any options has been unselected in Org.chameleon.Boot.plist tab.

If some options and removed, check them again using the screenshot and save them..

From the first tab of Chameleon Wizard, select Built-In and Boot0hfs and click execute. (Installing the boot loader again may not be necessary, but I'm not taking any chances.)

Now restart your Desktop/Laptop and if you are lucky and followed the steps exactly you will be booted into OSX Mavericks 10.9.5.

Click the Apple Logo and select About This Mac to check whether the Update worked or not.

Now you can remove the bad kernel and extensions folder, they are not needed anymore.

[ Note : iOS Developers can use Xcode 6 with 10.9.3 Update, Yosemite is not required. And you can keep your copy of Xcode 5 as well, just rename it as Xcode 5.)

Credits : soulskater (Its his guide, I simply made it a bit more easier to understand)

Please point out if there are any errors in this Guide.

10 answers to this question

Hi, I can not copy the kernel or the extensions. And I can not login as root.

OS X Mavericks 10.9.0

It says sudo i is not a command

and when I type the cp command it says it needs a prefix to be able to copy it.

Help me please :)

UPDATE: THe command to log into root is sudo -i not sudo i

But I still can not copy the files.

UPDATE 2: You can skip the first set of Terminal Commands simply by using OS X86 Tools. Google it 

Reading through all that. If you follow closely and pay attention, you will realize that you really are not updating to 10.9.5.

You have taken the 10.9.0 kernel and replaced the 10.9.5 kernel with it. Then you took the Extensions and replaced the 10.9.5 extensions with the old 10.9.0 set.

Sorry to disappoint you all.

post-45421-0-38819200-1431941908_thumb.ppost-45421-0-78866700-1431941911_thumb.p

@MacHacker : Then kindly enlighten me what this line means..

Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

I got a perfectly working Mavericks build and I can install Xcode 6 (which requires 10.9.3 minimum) for all I care..

Tell me what I missed...?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-05-18 at 5.31.01 am.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-05-18 at 5.31.39 am.png

@MacHacker : Then kindly enlighten me what this line means..

Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

I got a perfectly working Mavericks build and I can install Xcode 6 (which requires 10.9.3 minimum) for all I care..

Tell me what I missed...?

Yeah, that is because when you did the update the installer went in to a little file located at /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist and changed <key>ProductBuildVersion</key> from <string>13B42</string> to <string>13F34</string> and The version number itsself in to place to 10.9.5.  That was all that the Xcode 6 installer required to slip that pretty little baby right in there and install it for you.

in your signature you say your TP-Link TL-WN721n doesn't work.

It may be a Windoze only adapter. Do a search on it.

I have a Netgear WNA3100 which is the same way. Only works in Windows, Not OS-X or Ubuntu Linux either one. Bit disappointing that one is.

Reading through all that. If you follow closely and pay attention, you will realize that you really are not updating to 10.9.5.

You have taken the 10.9.0 kernel and replaced the 10.9.5 kernel with it. Then you took the Extensions and replaced the 10.9.5 extensions with the old 10.9.0 set.

Sorry to disappoint you all.

So are you saying it's not possible to update Niresh builds to 10,9.5?

Nope:

I just said you undid your update by saving your original extenions folder and contents  and you original mach_kernel. Then you removed the new extensions folder and the new mach_kernel and replaced them with the original ones. So in essence, you really didn't change anything except the little hidden away file that tells installer programs what version you are running.

On 6/2/2015, 9:58:23, MacHacker said:

Nope:

I just said you undid your update by saving your original extenions folder and contents  and you original mach_kernel. Then you removed the new extensions folder and the new mach_kernel and replaced them with the original ones. So in essence, you really didn't change anything except the little hidden away file that tells installer programs what version you are running.

Sadly you are half correct.there are other things in the 10.9.5 update besides drivers and kernel. So really you are running 10.9.5 but with 10.9 drivers and kernel. Yet you have some of the other things involved in 10.9.5 like updated safari and I'm sure other things apple doesn't tell you that is in the update.

Sorry for necro but it needed it.