[GUIDE] Getting the the Q550LF to work!
1 1

Set Up:

You will need:

• A mac or virtual machine with os x in order to download Yosemite (Using a free trial of VMWare workstation with Niresh's Mavericks works perfectly for me. Just choose "Other 64-bit" for the OS
  • 8 GB flash drive
  • Patience

I will be following this guide religously: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/148093-guide-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html, so a huge thanks to RehabMan for all that he does for the community.

(Sorry hyperlinks are refusing to work for me...)

Follow the guide above to create your clover flash drive with a yosemite install on it as well by partitioning it.

For the clover install make sure you have these and only these kexts:

• Not a kext, but make SURE that you have the HFSPlus.efi file in the correct directory
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • GenericUSBXHCI.kext
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext

All of those kexts are linked in the guide.

Make sure to use the config_HD4600_4400_4200.plist config. Also make sure to check the correct options during the clover install as described in the guide.

Now the guide talks about changing the ig_platform_id. Don't change it. I tried them all and none of them worked better. You'll see what I mean in a bit.

For the Yosemite install, I highly recommend using the "createinstallmedia method" as that is what I used.

Now that you have your clover/yosemite install USB you can shut off the laptop and install OS X.

Boot into the BIOS and make sure these settings are set:

• Enable CSM for now (I'll discuss this later)
  • Disable secure boot under security, 

Now go ahead and boot into clover and into the OS X install. Go through the install as normal, I would recommend formatting your drive first, though. Partition your drive into the partitions you need if you'll be multi booting.

(I will not not discuss multi-booting with this laptop in this guide. Tell me if you want me to write out how, though. Long story short: Make sure you use rufus for making your windows/ubuntu install drive and make sure to change the partition table to GPT. If you don't, it won't work as far as I know)

It will restart when finished but you won't see your OS X drive in clover. You have to open up the install again and let it finish install first.

Now boot into OS X! Woo, you now have OS X on your Asus Q550lf laptop!

I don't have everything working on this laptop, so any help help will be awesome!

Open up clover again and follow the guide from before to install clover to your HDD. Again, make sure to include all those kexts I listed.

Remember earlier I said I would talk more about the CSM option. Both enabled and disabled work, both with their pros and cons. I'll discuss these now:

• +  1080p clover and boot screens
  • - You must sleep after boot or else the screen is messed up

• ​+ Screen doesn't get messed up. You can use OS X as soon as it boots
  • - Ugly, non 1080p clover and boot screens

NOTE: When I say that clover isn't 1080p, it's just clover. As soon as Yosemite loads, it's beautiful 1080p. 

Personally, I will keep it disabled. It bugs me to not have clover, which I'll see everytime I boot, be 1080p. Sleeping is as easy as clicking the sleep button at the bottom of the Yosemite log in screen (You can still make it out in the messed up screen), and hitting the power button to awaken.

If you figure out how to get the best of both worlds I'd be very happy! (I've already tried all the ig_platform-ids....)

Choose and set whichever sounds better to you.

Now you can boot without any USB drives. You will notice these things:

• Single touch touch screen
  • Keyboard/Touch pad
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • 1080p
  • Volume keys
  • Ethernet

• Backlight
  • Backlight keys
  • Audio (Maybe. I think I've found out how but I haven't tried it yet. I will very soon)

• Keyboard backlight and keys
  • WiFi (Will not work with this card. Period. Help choosing a different card would be awesome)
  • Battery indicator
  • Two-Finger touchpad scrolling

Follow this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152659-guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-laptop-backlight-control.html%C2%A0%C2%A0along with me like before

Get the extracted *.dsl files ready. You need the patch named graphics_PNLF_haswell.txt. Find the correct SSDT to patch as mentioned in the guide and patch it. I would recommend doing the power management patch. Install the kext via kexwizard. Put that SSDT after you've exported to .aml and the dsdt.aml into the correct clover folder.

Now if you reboot you should be able to adjust your brightness in settings! Now to get the keys to work:

For this part I recommend having a slight bit of programming knowledge. If you are lost, just say so and I'll elaborate.

Open up dsdt.dsl.

Search for "Q0E". That method is the one that gets called when you press the backlight down function key on this laptop. Replace the contents of that method with this:

Notify(_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0205)
Notify(_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0285)

Now find "Q0F". That method is called on the backlight up button press. Replace the contents with this:

Notify(_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0206)
Notify(_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0286)

Now save as .aml, put in the correct clover folder and reboot. If all goes well your backlight keys should work!

NOTE: You will probably see a ton of compiler errors if you try to save. This is because you need to change the compiler version to 5.0 in the MaciASL preferences.

NOTE 2: After changing the compiler version you may still see 2 errors. Double click on one to bring you to the broken method. Simply delete the Arg0 line and it should compile fine.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet