Mavericks 10.9.0 on amdfx 6300 - gtx 970 drivers problem
1 1

Question

I've been looking high and low for gtx 970 drivers for 10.9.0 niresh. Finally I've found these: 

http://us.download.nvidia.com/dMfCTEwWd5bvEIglG4b8ya6U4erhZeeC/WebDriver-331.01.01b07.pkg

Unfortunately they didn't work for me. Here's what I did:

1. I typed boot flags nv_disable=1 at the Chameleon boot loader.

2. Installed these drivers.

3. I added the bootflags "nvda_drv=1" at the extras and restarted.

4. After I started with verbose mode it crashed at something involving the hard drive that I can't associate with the graphics in any way.

5. I booted with nv_disable=1 - it started.

My first question is: How to make those drivers work. I tried everything on the web involving bootflags, but without any success.

And my second question is: I will update to 10.9.2 or 10.9.5, up to everything that will make my gtx 970 to work with the drivers made for the updated version from nvidia. I just don't know how to do these updates. What I did when I tried to update to 10.9.2 is:

1. I installed the combined update.

2. I used the Kext Magician to restore the kexts. I don't think I did any of this right though.

I tried another way that restarts the machine and installs the update and then I had to boot with the installation drive, with the terminal I installed some kexts that I configured before that with TransMac. They should replace those in /System/Library/Extensions/. No success there. 

I really have no idea how to make those updates to work successfully. Can anybody help me?? 

I working with

Asus M5A78-M LX Plus
MSI gtx 970 4GD5T OC

AMD FX 6300

1 answer to this question

So I was able to make it work.  But not with Mavericks.  And not with these drivers.  I had to use Niresh's Yosemite 10.10.1 because the GTX 970 drivers that support Maxwell can't work with anything below 10.10.0. No matter what I used: Pasifist, nothing could work. I even had a success updating from 10.9.0 to 10.9.5 but none for the graphics drivers.  So I installed Yosemite, (the same cpu: AMD FX 6300) with the flags: "/amd npci=0x2000", disabled the "GraphicsEnabler" from the "Customize" right before the installation, had to disable the network card because it was causing me kernel panics, which later allowed with Multibeast for Yosemite, installed 343.01.02f01, before the installation with the flag "nv_disable=1" and after the restart with "nvda_drv=1" (which I left permanent) updated with the latest CUDA drivers and now it works like a charm with all my 4 monitors (3 of them with 1920x1080 res and one with 1440x900). Btw I had an issue: from all the struggling I was trying everything I can and I left the "GraphicsEnabler" to "Yes" so my HDMI's connected monitors were not working because of that, they were not detected, just nothing - no signs of life. It all went on it's place when I put "No" instead of "Yes" in the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist". I even customized the Chameleon boot loader with the Kext Magician, made it look pretty, changed the GraphicsMode to 1920x1080x32 from the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist", put a very nice black apple in the boot logo which I replaced with the current one in /Extras/themes/ and now it's a beauty.  It worked completely by itself  for dual boot with Windows. Hopefully this will help someone who struggled like me and couldn't get the final result and not being even remotely close to the right answer until started all over again. Although I will admit that this experience made me slightly aware of what's going on with Niresh's Yosemite.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3%C2%A0:Multibeast

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/80070/en-us: Nvidia  343.01.02f01

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-7.0.29-driver.html: Nvidia CUDA 7.0.29

I working with:

Asus M5A78-M LX Plus
MSI gtx 970 4GD5T OC

AMD FX 6300

Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 RAM