Still waiting for root device (different problem than most)
1 1

Question

Okay, I have seriously been trying to fix this for about 2 days now and I just can't get it to work. I'd really appreciate some help.

Basically, I can get it to boot to my usb and install perfectly fine but once the installer finishes and resets my pc and I try booting into my yosemite drive it always stops and gives the still waiting for root device error.

The bootflags I've tried already are -f, -x, USBBusFix=Yes, USBLegacyOff, and a couple others. My BIOS is set to use AHCI also. It's weird to me because most people run into this issue when trying to boot to the usb and that's not the case for me. I have a picture to show where it stops.

I've also successfully ran mavericks before on this motherboard in the past.

1pOgBQ9.jpg

6 answers to this question

Super good news. I brought my computer into work today (I'm a computer tech) and it seems to boot up here without the stilling waiting for root device error. So it must have something to do with whatever is plugged into the back of my computer. I will figure it out when I get home. But my problems solved.

ahcidisk=1 debug=8 works for me. I had a screen with a circle and a slash in the middle while Still waiting for root device. I saw that chameleon on the Yosemite Zone installer had these flags by default. fixed that issue for me

So I was trying to boot it up again and while I was sitting there at still waiting for root device I was looking for solutions. After a while some things happened on my screen.

It seemed to find the root device and then start searching for it again. I got it to end up booting up but it takes a really long time.

Here's some pictures to show what happened

http://i.imgur.com/7G8Umtk.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/PicZ37z.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on how I can make it not take so damn long I'd greatly appreciate it.

Good news and bad news. Good news is I got it to boot up a bit faster and I installed graphics drivers for my gtx 970 and it is all working beautifully so far! Internet works no problem and so does the sound! (Which I was surprised about)

Bad news is I still get waiting for root device. Difference is that now when it does find the root device it doesn't try finding it again. I've tried setting rd=disk1s2 (that is the name of my disk) and it still takes a bit to find it. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Found out it's my mechanical rgb80 keyboard made by rosewill that was causing the still waiting for root device. If anyone has any ideas of how I can work around it I'd appreciate it