AMD Yosemite Install only boots in safe mode
2 2

Question

So I used the Niresh Yosemite DMG and TransMac to create a bootable OS X installer. It installed on my clean hard drive no problem. I then try to boot and I can only get a grey progress bar on a grey screen with the boot flag "npci=0x2000" and then the grey bar gets stuck half way. I then used that boot flag and the safe mode boot flag "-x" and I get into the root admin account and used the Niresh login credentials to login. The hackintosh zone ran through setup and optimization or whatever it does. It finished and I cleared network setups and restarted. I tried booting without safe mode and same thing happened. The grey loading bar and then it would stop and I would get the spinning rainbow wheel. I am wondering how I can boot into Yosemite without safe mode and how to use it normally. Here are my specs:

AMD 8 core FX 8320 processor (installed with the /amd boot flag)

Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard

8GB ram

Nvidia GeForce 9800 graphics card

Any help is greatly appreciated on how I can get Mac to work normally

6 answers to this question

Some kext might prevent your system from booting. Boot with -v to see where it's hanging.

Some kext might prevent your system from booting. Boot with -v to see where it's hanging.

When I tried booting with jus -v everything ran through and I didn't notice anything peculiar and it booted to a snowy screen that was basically like television snow. I restarted with npci=0x2000 -v and it booted to a grey screen with the mouse that I can move but nothing else. It doesn't spin even though

Edit: on second look of booting with npci=0x2000 -v I saw one line before the grey screen that raised a hair.

Warning: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUInfo unknown cpu family : family 0x15. Model 0x2

--power management may be incomplete or unsupported

This line appeared shortly but it went to the grey screen eventually.

Edited by kyaustad

Enter single user mode (-s) and run 'grafix backup all', reboot and look if it boots up normal. If it does, manually install your graphics kexts from your /backup/graphics kexts/nvidia folder using kext wizard/utility.

the reason why I think that you have problems with (from what I suspect a graphic) kexts, is because it boots fine in safe mode. Safe mode only boots the kexts that are necessary for the main OS X functions.

im still getting the same results with both sets of boot flags. Should I reinstall Kexts in safe mode?

Also in safe mode using kext wizard I can't find that folder. In /system/library/extensions and installed NVDAStartup kext or something like that and using npci=0x2000 -v it booted to login screen! But it doesn't seem as if I can login to my user account but I can login to system admin account using root and Niresh password and username.

Edit again- after doing that I logged out and could log into my user account I created in safe mode. It's glitchy though. Slow animations and stuff so should I use multibeast?

Edit: on second look of booting with npci=0x2000 -v I saw one line before the grey screen that raised a hair. 

Warning: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUInfo unknown cpu family : family 0x15. Model 0x2
--power management may be incomplete or unsupported 

This line appeared shortly but it went to the grey screen eventually. 

That's not much of a big deal, i've the same because OS X doesn't recognize the 8-core AMD processor. When I set my BIOS to use 4 cores instead of 8 my CPU is seen as a quadcore Xeon.

Also in safe mode using kext wizard I can't find that folder. In /system/library/extensions and installed NVDAStartup kext or something like that and using npci=0x2000 -v it booted to login screen! But it doesn't seem as if I can login to my user account but I can login to system admin account using root and Niresh password and username. 

Edit again- after doing that I logged out and could log into my user account I created in safe mode. It's glitchy though. Slow animations and stuff so should I use multibeast? 

I'm not quite sure what you mean. What I meant was to use your OS X in single user mode (bootflag -s). It will bring you to a terminal-like environment. From there you can backup all graphics kexts by entering 'grafix backup all'. That command deletes all graphics related kexts from /System/Library/Exsentions/ and places them in /Backup/Graphic Kexts/ (or something similar). If you're able to boot your system without using the bootflag -x, it'd mean that it is indeed a Graphics Kext problem. 

You should then only install the graphic kexts (out of your backup directory) needed for your graphics card.