Bootloader not working
1 1

Question

I have installed the distro successfully but no matter which newer bootloader I use Chameleon, Chimera, Enoch, does not work. I can install them successfully but never seem to load or work when I restart. I am too scared to use Clover because I can never get it to do what I want or know how to use boot flags with it. A very old version of chameleon that comes on the SnowLeo Distro is the only bootloader I managed to get working. I think it is this version of Chameleon: Chameleon RC5 752 Lion+Snow. From there I can install newer bootloaders but Mac OSX times out when loading outside of safe mode. I have a MBR setup with Windows 7 on the first partition, an empty Mac OSX Journaled partition where I store apps and programs for Mac OSX (which I am going to give back to Windows when I do not need to hold files on my notebook anymore) and a final partition with Mac OSX installed on it. Any ideas how to get a problem free dual boot back?

14 answers to this question

Check that you're installing the bootloader in the HDD and not in the pendrive. That's is a common mistake.

LOL, I don't think I have made that mistake in years, but thank you. I wish the solution was that easy. I had this exact same problem with Mountain Lion on this notebook as well. I cannot remember if I ever resolved it since I never had a successful installation with Mountain Lion.

LOL, I don't think I have made that mistake in years, but thank you. I wish the solution was that easy. I had this exact same problem with Mountain Lion on this notebook as well. I cannot remember if I ever resolved it since I never had a successful installation with Mountain Lion.

Can you numerate step by step what you did with chameleon?

I always use the installer packages. I can never figure out how to install it any other way.

1. I open the installer for Chameleon, Chimera, etc,

2. agree, agree, agree.

3. Select my partition with Mac OSX, click install.

4. Most of the time I get "successfully installed".

5. Restart always get Error boot, something something.

Here is the error I am greeted with before or after I install pretty much any bootloader:

Posted Image

Just as I thought I do not have a System Reserve Partition. I am not sure how to add the System Reserve Partition back without partitioning the HDD. This has never been an issue with Hackintoshing before anyway:

Posted Image

As I said before when I use the bootloader from the old SnowLeo Distro I can get the bootloader to load and work. I figured out it works with my notebook when I select all of these options and I am not sure why:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

From here I can install newer versions of Chameleon or Chimera which would actually load and work with Mountain Lion. But Unfortunately that is not the case with Mavericks. It will boot and load Mavericks but it will just stay on the load screen indefinitely. However I can get into safe mode.

I think this is the version of Chameleon the SnowLeo Distro installs.

Posted Image

I have an MBR partition scheme.

I always use the installer packages. I can never figure out how to install it any other way.

1. I open the installer for Chameleon, Chimera, etc,

2. agree, agree, agree.

3. Select my partition with Mac OSX, click install.

4. Most of the time I get "successfully installed".

5. Restart always get Error boot, something something.

Here is the error I am greeted with before or after I install pretty much any bootloader:

Posted Image

Just as I thought I do not have a System Reserve Partition. I am not sure how to add the System Reserve Partition back without partitioning the HDD. This has never been an issue with Hackintoshing before anyway:

Posted Image

As I said before when I use the bootloader from the old SnowLeo Distro I can get the bootloader to load and work. I figured out it works with my notebook when I select all of these options and I am not sure why:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

From here I can install newer versions of Chameleon or Chimera which would actually load and work with Mountain Lion. But Unfortunately that is not the case with Mavericks. It will boot and load Mavericks but it will just stay on the load screen indefinitely. However I can get into safe mode.

I think this is the version of Chameleon the SnowLeo Distro installs.

Posted Image

I have an MBR partition scheme.

download chameleon wizard and select the option depending on what you have. 

Posted Image

I have done it that way too and gone through all the options. I do not know what to say. It is safe to use the Mavericks Installer that came with the Betas. Does anyone know if that works with the full release?

I have done it that way too and gone through all the options. I do not know what to say. It is safe to use the Mavericks Installer that came with the Betas. Does anyone know if that works with the full release?

With betas? Use niresh!

Is there a Niresh bootloader, do you have a link? I cannot boot into Mac OSX to show you what it actually looks because I am downloading a file that is taking several hours to download. But it I can show what it looks like from Windows.

Posted Image

It has this logo on it:

Posted Image

Is there a Niresh bootloader, do you have a link? I cannot boot into Mac OSX to show you what it actually looks because I am downloading a file that is taking several hours to download. But it I can show what it looks like from Windows.

Posted Image

It has this logo on it:

Posted Image

No, this:

http://www.hackintosh.zone/file/75-niresh-mac-os-x-mavericks-109-with-amd-intel-usb/

So I was able to "mostly" fix my boot problem by following this:

www.macbreaker.com/2012/02/hackintosh-boot0-error.html

But I do not appear to have control over it. I cannot get it to accept a default partition or theme. I am out of ideas. So I posted my boot.plist and maybe someone can tell me what I can do to fix it. Thank You.

Posted ImagePosted Image

@deadmau5 che no termino de entender, lo escribo en espa;ol porque va a ser mas facil creo. yo tengo un disco con os x, y un disco con windows 7. tengo que elegir el segundo? porque en el caso de que quiera desconectar el disco de windows que pasa? no me va a funcionar?

for english speakers, i was asking for the correct option in chameleon wizard, due to the fact that spanish is my main language and the guy is from argentina, i wrote in spanish.

@deadmau5 che no termino de entender, lo escribo en espa;ol porque va a ser mas facil creo. yo tengo un disco con os x, y un disco con windows 7. tengo que elegir el segundo? porque en el caso de que quiera desconectar el disco de windows que pasa? no me va a funcionar?

for english speakers, i was asking for the correct option in chameleon wizard, due to the fact that spanish is my main language and the guy is from argentina, i wrote in spanish.

No me acuerdo a como venía todo esto, pro el tema es así:

Vos tenés en un disco rígido windows 7, con su bcd/bootmanager. Y tenés otro con osx con otro bootmanager/bootloader dónde, cuando estén los dos discos rígidos enchufados, te va a dar la opción para bootear entre osx y win. No sé por qué pero desde el bootloader de osx no podés entrar a win 7.

Lo que yo hago, es cuando prendo la pc, apretar F12 (Por mi mother, vos podrías tener otro) para seleccionar desde que hdd voy a bootear. Acordate de tener cuidado si la instalación de windows la hiciste en ide, porque osx es ahci.

@deadmau5 al final estaba roto mi chameleon, reinstale osx y tengo funcionando osx en un hdd, y osx en otro, booteo con chimera y me deja elegir entre osx y w7