Black screen when trying to boot Yosemite with GTX 960
2 2

First. I was able to install Yosemite using the niresh 10.10.1 image off a usb. The only flags i used was npci=0x300 and -v. After when i try to boot Yosemite i end up getting black screen after it load all kexts. Here is my desktop build:

Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

Amd-Fx 9370

Msi GTX- 960 2gb

So i only have the gtx 960. no IGPU. i use and used these flags: npci=0x3000, -v, nv_disable=1, -f(gives me a "not a intel machine, restart fix not applied error without it), graphicsenabler=yes(and used no also same results), nvda_drv=0(and tried 1 with same results). 

If i don't use the -f flag it says i have an unsupported card even before it starts loading the kexts, so that doesn't work. When i do use the -f flag and either to enable or disable my graphics driver or card(also tried not using the flag at all) it loads the kexts, but still black screen. 

Simply it breaks down to this:

Both I have to use npci=0x3000 cause I have a Asus motherboard.

Without -f, and with all possible nvidia flag and graphicsenabler flag combinations. Output: Doesn't recognize my graphics card as supported, gives a "not a intel machine, restart fix not applied error and have to restart. 

With -f flag and with all possible nvidia flag and graphicsenabler flag combinations. Output: Passes the supported and fix check and loads kexts but as soon as it boots darwin, black screen, no restart though.

The kernel i am using is:  bronya_kernal_10.10_rc7, dont think its causing anything as verbose isn't panicking.

Is there something i'm missing? i can obviously load graphics from my card since I was able to install, but cant seam to boot into it. I just need to simply boot so i can install the quadro driver for my card.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2 answers to this question

I am having similar problem,

My Hardware:

AMD FX 9590

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Corsair Vengence 16G (8G+8G) 1600MHz RAM

Zotac GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB in PCIex16 Slot 1

Quadro 4000 2GB PCIeX16 Slot 2

No SLI Bridge

Apple Cinema Display through DisplayPort to miniDisplayPort adapter cable

Installed YZ 10.10.1 with

Setup 1:

/amd1 npci=0x2000 -v

GUID Partition on a new HDD

Chamelion EFI, MacPro 3,1

Result 1:

Booted from HDD (npci=0x2000/ npci=0x3000) -v

Verbose Boot then

Black Screen and Freeze

Result 2:

(npci=0x2000/ npci=0x3000), nv_disable=1 -v

Verbose Boot then

White Screen and some verbose linesalternately, (So fast coming ang going with white screen I can't read/take Pic)

Result 3:

(npci=0x2000/ npci=0x3000), nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v

Verbose Boot then

Started with Bad Choppy Graphics

System Detects Both of My Graphics but not natively (i.e. 3MB VRAM, Resolution 1024x768)

Installing with "Move NVIDIA Kexts" will result to OSX Installation Failed.It removes newer NVIDIA Kexts with Installing and activating older one.

Niresh's Mavericks 10.9 runnes very well with all GPUs running in native mode in this machine installing with "/amdfx -v"

Edited by escape_freedom13

An update, finally was able to get graphics with 10.10.1 niresh, no QE though.  This only worked with my hardware: AMD FX-9370, GTX 960 and Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 and using hdmi out to a tv for display.

First: booted off my usb that has niresh 10.10.1. Used these exact boot flags: /amd64 -v cpus=1 npci=0x2000

Used Disk Utility to partition a new HDD to OSX Extended (Journaled).  

In the customize i  selected the boot flags I had used to get to the installer, cpus=1 and npci=0x2000 only. left the rest alone.

After it finished installing i booted my usb again, but instead of choosing zosemite zone, highlighted my Yosemite installed HDD. 

Heres where most people may have the problems, I used NO BOOT FLAGS AT ALL, except for -v to see verbose. 

After everything loaded i was able to get the setup process screen to make an account. There was no graphical acceleration at all. 

Then i Updated to 10.10.3 using the combo pkg i downloaded online.

After reboot i went into my windows and replaced the kernel and pthread.kext for AMD and Yosemite 10.10.3. (Can be done using trans mac or MacDrive 10)

Booted the usb again, choose my installed hdd this time added nv_disable=1 and -f as a boot flag. 

Downloaded the correct Nvidia web driver, It installed successfully.

Now rebooted and using nvda_drv=1 gives me a black screen and no input for my tv. It boots with nv_disable=1 but no acceleration. I tried combinations of graphicsenabler and all nvidia flags, still no success. 

If anyone knows how we can get full Acceleration for GTX 960 then please say how, i cant get it.