Install 10.9 to USB: External HDD not appearing in diskutil
1 1

Question

I'm currently installing Mavericks to an external HDD on my SVT13126CGS Sony Vaio laptop. I can boot to the installer by shutting off GraphicsEnabler, but don't seem to be able to see the external HDD in the list of available drives to either install to or in diskutil. The drive is formatted to MacOS Extended, and I can seemingly find it in the terminal, but it does not make itself available to install. Any ideas why? Am I missing something quite obvious re drivers here?

12 answers to this question

Update: I have an i5 ivy bridge processor. I have had success running with: ivy -v -x USBBusFix=Yes

However, the same issue of being unable to select the USB Storage device as the install destination (or being able to access the second USB port at all through diskutility) remains.

Is there anyone with experience installing to an external hard drive that could lend assistance?

Have your checked your bois sata -ahci

Can you open the usb enclosure of the external drive and plug it in the motherboard using the sata cableIn the mean time so you can install os x like this and then after you sucessfully install os x you canRemove the drive and plug it again as external usb ?And then boot from itIts just a sujestion :)

1 person likes this

Also are you plugin the external drive in USB 2.0 port or a USB 3.0 ? Sometimes it get reconize better using a USB 3.0And on USB 2.0 sometimes using the first Usb port works best

1 person likes this

Ok, so the drive in question is a thumb drive, so no enclosure work around that could work. The BIOS is a UEFI boot, which I set to legacy to boot. 

My device seems quite temperamental and requires that I have the Niresh boot in the USB 3 port. I know this is likely the issue, as it would seem the other port is just not even being recognised by the Niresh boot. Unfortunately, due to UEFI, my hard drive is a little messy with partitioning, and it is difficult to tell from a Unix command prompt on the Niresh boot, whether the drive is being recognised.

Sorry, I should be clearer: with Niresh being in the USB 2 port, the install does not initiate (using the "ivy -v -x USBBusFix=Yes"), giving the standard "Still waiting for root device" if trying to run from USB 2.

Ok i didnt realize or you didnt say it was a Thumb drive i thought it was an external drive like you said :)

BIOS only has options: UEFI or Legacy. I select Legacy for install, otherwise Niresh does not even register.